1st Cruise in Nov

New-cruiser16

Hi everyone! Would appreciate any and all help! Taking our first cruise in November out of New Orleans first stop is Montego Bay Jamaica. Looking at going to doctors cave beach! Good beach to go to? Take a taxi? Is it safe? Any and all info is appreciated! Thank you!

A lot of those scam IRS calls and those "you won the lottery" calls originate in Jamaica. There are folks who will advise staying on the ship, especially in MoBay. But, if you want to go to Doctor's Cave beach, just be sure the fare is negotiated BEFORE you get in the cab! Also, check to see if you can negotiate for the same driver to come back and pick you up at a specified time. Just don't pay the return fare up front! [emoji41]

Hope your stop in MoBay is a good one and your cruise is fantastic!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi everyone! Would appreciate any and all help! Taking our first cruise in November out of New Orleans first stop is Montego Bay Jamaica. Looking at going to doctors cave beach! Good beach to go to? Take a taxi? Is it safe? Any and all info is appreciated! Thank you!

Hi there

Welcome to cruise critic.

If you are interested in researching for your cruise, this site is an important stop. Since I don't really know where you are going I won't make any specific comments on your trip. I will suggest how to use this site.

On the main forum page take the time to look at all the categories/threads. As you look down the page you will see links for each cruise lines. If you go to the link for the cruise line that you are sailing with, you will find all the info you would need regarding that specific cruise line. Take the time to browse through a few weeks of threads. Many questions are asked repeatedly. There is a search function at the top of each of these pages. If you still have a questions to ask about your specific cruise line, this is the best page to ask that question.

Again on the main forum page, you will see a section dedicated to Port of Calls. If you select "Caribbean" you will find links for each of your stops. This is where you will find information, prices, ideas for what you can do at each island stop. In conjunction with other internet searches you should be able to really narrow down what you want and are able to do during your trip. If you have any questions on specific islands or things you can do, you will almost certainly get an answer.

Similar to the port of call pages, there are pages dedicated to departures cities "North American homeports", you can find information for hotels, transfers to/from airport, restaurants, etc. It is all valuable information that will save you time and money.

Fourth idea, again going on the main forum page, is the Roll Call pages. It is up to you, some people enjoy participating, some don't. You will see links for your cruise line and once you click on that link, you will find links for your specific ship and sailing date. Now if you want, and if others have already started a page, you can communicate with others who are going to be sailing with you.

These are just a few key pages to search to help in your planning, but if you take your time looking over all the threads, you will likely find something that will be of interest more specifically to you. Of course there are countless reviews that are available along with general information on almost every ship.

hope this helps you get the most out of this website

You know of course, if you fall in love with cruising as most on this site have, you will have to change your name soon enough

Jamaica isn't "unsafe", but the folks will hassle you for as much as they can...it's a very, very POOR nation....If you don't want what they're selling, simply say, "No, Thanks"...

And be aware you may have to say it several times because they are VERY persistent. Many times they have lost my business because they are so "in your face". If they would let me browse a little ,I most always find something to purchase. They don't seem to understand this concept. As soon as the "high pressure starts, I walk away.

Welcome to the cruise club!!! Have a great time on your 1st cruise...

Welcome !!!! :)

Hope you will enjoy your cruise as much as the majority of people here do. You didn't mention which line you're sailing on but regardless of what line you've chosen be assured that 99.9% of the people who work on board will go that extra mile too please YOU. If you watch the crew of the ship you'll notice that they're always cleaning and vacuuming the entire ship. My wife and I have never had an unsatisfactory room steward. They usually come around before your required abandon boat drill, introduce themselves and ask if you have any request. And yes you HAVE to attend drill (the entire ship's passengers assemble on certain areas of the ship and the ship's officers tell you what to do IF something happens.. But honestly the odds are GREATLY in your favor that won't happen. So rest, relax eat some great food and most of all, ENJOY. :)

Once again, hope you grow to love cruising.

Mac