MSC MUSICA from Venice

GOLDENBONNY

I am 2 steps away from booking my Europe cruise. I just hope nothing will stand between my and my dream, this time :( I choose MSC Musica out of Venice in May. Everything was fine till I start searching for hotels and transportation :confused: I figured out way from cruise ship to airport- Alilaguna (any better way to do it ?) but from airport to hotel its a big mess in my head now, and I need help.

First, I need Hotel recommendation . I am looking for something small ,clean ,with breakfast and with real Venice charm prefer with windows facing canal,and stay on budget 250-300 $ or less. Do I want too much?LOL

Second if any of you could recommend restaurant for lunch (on budget) and good restaurant for dinner but not a tourist trap. I will do my home work but personal experience is much better.

We are going to stay for 1.5 day should we get some organized tour since our time is so short? Gondola ride is must have :D What is better time or place to get it?

any help would be greatly appreciated:)

Now for cruise . I know MSC used to give free bottled water for US and Canadian customers. Is it limited amount of coupons or just any amount in DR only?

We are looking for Fantastica balcony cabin and it will come with 12 free drinks . Is it for anyone in cabin ,will my DD receive 12 free non alcoholic drinks? Dose anyone have alcohol price list in Euro? Also if i book Aurea balcony cabin will I have priority tender as well or just priority embarkation ? Aurea balcony cabins right under SPA and Buffet will we have problem with noise if we book it? should we bother to pay $400.00 more for Aurea cabin if we are not big drinkers and not going to use SPA?

I hope some one will be able to answer my questions. :p:p Thank you .

Venice is famously expensive. When we stayed for a weekend break we stayed on the Lido island, which is a short journey from Venice on the waterbus - the number 1 goes right along the Grand Canal. The restaurants over there were much cheaper.

We found a lovely bar just by the fish market which was great.

Alilaguna is probably your best bet from the airport

I am 2 steps away from booking my Europe cruise. I just hope nothing will stand between my and my dream, this time :( I choose MSC Musica out of Venice in May. Everything was fine till I start searching for hotels and transportation :confused: I figured out way from cruise ship to airport- Alilaguna (any better way to do it ?) but from airport to hotel its a big mess in my head now, and I need help.

First, I need Hotel recommendation . I am looking for something small ,clean ,with breakfast and with real Venice charm prefer with windows facing canal,and stay on budget 250-300 $ or less. Do I want too much?LOL

Second if any of you could recommend restaurant for lunch (on budget) and good restaurant for dinner but not a tourist trap. I will do my home work but personal experience is much better.

We are going to stay for 1.5 day should we get some organized tour since our time is so short? Gondola ride is must have :D What is better time or place to get it?

any help would be greatly appreciated:)

Now for cruise . I know MSC used to give free bottled water for US and Canadian customers. Is it limited amount of coupons or just any amount in DR only?

We are looking for Fantastica balcony cabin and it will come with 12 free drinks . Is it for anyone in cabin ,will my DD receive 12 free non alcoholic drinks? Dose anyone have alcohol price list in Euro? Also if i book Aurea balcony cabin will I have priority tender as well or just priority embarkation ? Aurea balcony cabins right under SPA and Buffet will we have problem with noise if we book it? should we bother to pay $400.00 more for Aurea cabin if we are not big drinkers and not going to use SPA?

I hope some one will be able to answer my questions. Thank you .

We're sailing MSC Musica in June Golden. We wanted to stay on the Grand Canal and after much research, decided on The Hotel Al Ponte Antico,,http://www.alponteantico.com/ It is a bit spendy, but the location couldn't be more perfect.

al-ponte-antico-hotel.jpg

We just stayed two nights at Hotel Becher in Venice. What an awesome stay. We had a balcony overlooking a side canal that all the Gondola's went down. The hotel has its own private dock with tables for breakfast or to just relax with a glass of wine like we did. Breakfast was included. It is behind the St Marks Square area. We loved the location and the hotel. This was our second stay in Venice. We splurged and took private boats to and from the hotel, but taking the public boats would have been easy.

Check it out http://www.hotelbecher.com we paid Euro 233/night

Bonny ... It is a while ago now but we stayed at a place called the Arlechino which is just a short distance from the bus station and a five minute walk to the Grand canal and the Vaparetto stops where you can purchase a 24 hour ticket, we were there in December.

During the summer months it can become a bit smelly as we found out on two cruises that made stops in Venice, as this cruise is port intensive ie one every day the extra cost for Aurea may not be worth the money unless you intend to stay on the ship to sunbathe in some of the ports, although at least two of the stops are only half a day so you may get time to use the private sunbed area for Aurea guests.

All charges when sailing in Europe are in Euro.

I can recommend Hotel Bisanzio...it's an old restored Venetian palace, small, private, but 5 minute walk to St. Mark's.

Good breakfast, nice rooms...family run. Hot breakfast included...a 5 minute walk from the San Zaccaria Alilaguna stop-only one bridge to cross.

Edited by Love2Cruz2015

MikeUSA: I know we don't always agree on the quality of MSC, but please believe me, I'm trying to help you here :). The hotel you have selected, while beautiful, is smack dab in the middle of a long term restoration project. The photo you posted is currently completely covered in ply wood with advertising signs posted over it. You can not even tell it's a bridge, let alone the Rialto Bridge!!!

Not to mention, this hotel is directly across the river from the daily fish market (think smell). Our guide mentioned that the restoration project on Rialto would take approximately 5 years. Not sure when they will switch to the opposite side of the bridge and open up your side of the view, but for what it's worth, I'd steer clear of anything near Rialto until you know the timeline of the restoration project.

GOLDENBUNNY: Firstly, based on what you have described, I would positively skip Aurua. As far as getting to and from the airport you have two basic choices.

1) The alilaguana company vaporetto is the ONLY line that services the airport. This line does not run down the length of the canal often. If you are going to use Alilaguna is't best to stay at one of the deep canal stops (zaccari or arsenol would be my preference). You must be in decent walking shape to use this transportation as Marco Polo airport is under a long term renovation project. The walk (with cases) to the alilaguana stop is approximately 20 minutes. No other way to get there but to walk. Totally doable with suitcases, but HOT. Note: On the return from cruise ship to airport give yourself 2 hours once ON the vaparetto plus the walking time.

Note: The ACTV line (not to be confused with Alilgua) can get you to the cruise ship and from the cruise ship to the hotels but it does not service the airport.

2) Bus (or taxi) from Plaza Roma to the airport is $6.00. It is only 20 minutes. It is totally easy to use, but you have to get to Plaza Roma from your hotel.

What are your time frames? In other words, when do you arrive in Marco Polo and what time does your ship depart? What time does your plane depart? That will help me point you to what I'd choose for a hotel if interested.

Hope that helps you both in some small way.

We stayed at hotel musica residente. $170 per night but we were there 4 nights so it was discounted. Beautiful breakfast (fresh made croissants) and free wifi and air conditioning. Location one bridge off Arsenol stop. This is the view from our Romeo and Juliette balcony - I had my coffee sitting there every morning:

2582575b63e38f03612738fc0c7a61be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How far is this from the Port?

By 'this' do you mean the photo I posted from our hotel room? If so, by Aliligula vaporetto it is 15-20 minutes which runs the deep part of the canal to the base of the ships. If you are going to stay in Venice proper, it is the hotel area that can get to the ships quickest via the aliliguala.

By ACTV vaporetto through plaza roma it is about 45-60 minutes as you'll need the people mover also. Those staying in Venice proper but on the canal will need the ACTV vaporetto.

If you elect to stay near the deep water canal, you can still use the ACTV vaporetto and shave off some time by using ACTV vaporetto through Tronchetto car exit . It is only about 20-30 minutes. You'll still need the people mover but it's much less crowded.

Anyone with walking difficulties should consider Aliliguala route as it drops you closest to the ship, but the Aliliguala does not serve the entire canal area regularilyu. You'd want to stay at a hotel along a deep water stop (for example, Arsenal or Zaccheri). Coming into the port via the people mover (either through plaza roma or tronchetta) requires a bit of walking to get from the people mover to the ship itself.

Of course, those with cash to spend can always get a private water taxi from hotel to ship which will save considerable time, but will run you around $80 Euro.

Hope that is helpful.

I don't think anyone answered your question about a tour- I wouldn't think you need it. However, I STRONGLY recommend the app map my city-- it's 5 or 6 dollars and shows your location on a map compared to where you want to go-- Venice is amazing but I would have gotten MASSIVELY lost without this!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're sailing MSC Musica in June Golden. We wanted to stay on the Grand Canal and after much research, decided on The Hotel Al Ponte Antico,,http://www.alponteantico.com/ It is a bit spendy, but the location couldn't be more perfect.

al-ponte-antico-hotel.jpg

Its good but its 600 euro per night :o Consider we will be outside all the time and only come back to sleep I don't want to pay that much. Thank you any way.

We just stayed two nights at Hotel Becher in Venice. What an awesome stay. We had a balcony overlooking a side canal that all the Gondola's went down. The hotel has its own private dock with tables for breakfast or to just relax with a glass of wine like we did. Breakfast was included. It is behind the St Marks Square area. We loved the location and the hotel. This was our second stay in Venice. We splurged and took private boats to and from the hotel, but taking the public boats would have been easy.

Nice option .Thank you.

I can recommend Hotel Bisanzio...it's an old restored Venetian palace, small, private, but 5 minute walk to St. Mark's.

Good breakfast, nice rooms...family run. Hot breakfast included...a 5 minute walk from the San Zaccaria Alilaguna stop-only one bridge to cross.

I love this option but for some reason its not available for my dates:( .I hope its because its too early . I am reading your review twice a day and dreaming) lol

MikeUSA: I know we don't always agree on the quality of MSC, but please believe me, I'm trying to help you here :). The hotel you have selected, while beautiful, is smack dab in the middle of a long term restoration project. The photo you posted is currently completely covered in ply wood with advertising signs posted over it. You can not even tell it's a bridge, let alone the Rialto Bridge!!!

Not to mention, this hotel is directly across the river from the daily fish market (think smell). Our guide mentioned that the restoration project on Rialto would take approximately 5 years. Not sure when they will switch to the opposite side of the bridge and open up your side of the view, but for what it's worth, I'd steer clear of anything near Rialto until you know the timeline of the restoration project.

GOLDENBUNNY: Firstly, based on what you have described, I would positively skip Aurua. As far as getting to and from the airport you have two basic choices.

1) The alilaguana company vaporetto is the ONLY line that services the airport. This line does not run down the length of the canal often. If you are going to use Alilaguna is't best to stay at one of the deep canal stops (zaccari or arsenol would be my preference). You must be in decent walking shape to use this transportation as Marco Polo airport is under a long term renovation project. The walk (with cases) to the alilaguana stop is approximately 20 minutes. No other way to get there but to walk. Totally doable with suitcases, but HOT. Note: On the return from cruise ship to airport give yourself 2 hours once ON the vaparetto plus the walking time.

Note: The ACTV line (not to be confused with Alilgua) can get you to the cruise ship and from the cruise ship to the hotels but it does not service the airport.

2) Bus (or taxi) from Plaza Roma to the airport is $6.00. It is only 20 minutes. It is totally easy to use, but you have to get to Plaza Roma from your hotel.

What are your time frames? In other words, when do you arrive in Marco Polo and what time does your ship depart? What time does your plane depart? That will help me point you to what I'd choose for a hotel if interested.

Yes ,i will book now Fantastica balcony . 12 drinks will be fine for 7 days cruise. Even if we order more it's not going to cover 450.00 difference I need to pay for Aurea.

WE will arrive around 9 am on May 12 . Our cruise on May 14 departure in 5 pm a believe. :confused:

I just booked this B&B .http://www.athomeapalazzo.com/it/home

It has good reviews and reasonable price. I keep it for now and will monitor other options. Its so hard :( or they want 3 nights min. or price goes double when I put 3 person per room :( I really don't fill like to pay 600.00 euro per night when we will only come back to shower and sleep. What do you guys think about location ? :o

they want 3 nights min stay :mad:

We stayed at hotel musica residente. $170 per night but we were there 4 nights so it was discounted. Beautiful breakfast (fresh made croissants) and free wifi and air conditioning. Location one bridge off Arsenol stop. This is the view from our Romeo and Juliette balcony - I had my coffee sitting there every morning:

2582575b63e38f03612738fc0c7a61be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NO ROOMS FOR MY DATES :confused: I don't know if it's sold out or just too early but I will monitor it.