3 day to Ensenada at Christmas ?

u2harmony

My husband and I fairly recently had a loss in our family and we are dreading the holidays which are approaching very quickly.

I am looking at some short getaways to try and make it easier on us instead of being in an empty home and was hoping for some thoughts on the 3 day Carnival Inspiration to Ensenada at Christmas.

Would anyone know if this would be a nice short trip or would the weather out there be miserable at that time of year? Is cruising out of Long Beach much harder than cruising out of Florida? Are 3 day cruises really just party boats? (we don't drink)

I would appreciate any thoughts at all. :)

Thank you so much!

I don't drink either and I did a 4-day cruise recently out of Long Beach (Imagination). I'm not saying there weren't any drunk people on that cruise, but I sure didn't see ANY of them. It was a great cruise with excellent entertainment and good food.

I have done a Christmas cruise (not Carnival) and it was so nice to have the ship decorated and not have to do anything but relax the entire time. I found the staff and passengers to be in an especially festive and happy mood on the Christmas cruise.

While the embarkation process at Long Beach was a little slow on our cruise, it was much better organized than embarkation in Florida.

I used to live in Mazatlan, Mexico and the weather there at Christmas was just about perfect. I would expect it would be similarly so in Ensenada. (And my daughter was on Catalina last Christmas Eve and said it was pleasant.)

If I were you, I would seriously consider taking this tour. And if doing a 4-day cruise that stops in Catalina is an option for you (on the Imagination rather than the Inspiration), that would be even better!

We just did the 3-day to Ensenada in July for our anniversary. Being summer, there were numerous groups of bachelor/bachelorette parties, birthdays, and family reunions that were recognizable during check in. That said, I never once felt like I was dodging through some crazy party.

The things I did notice:

1. Extra "WOO HOO-ing" during each step of muster. ("That's our life boat?? Woo Hoo!!!")

2. Full hot tubs on the Lido deck. (I think if everyone got out at once there would've been about 2 inches of water left).

3. Room service breakfasts being served to exceptionally dark rooms around 10:30am. (Recovery time!)

It seems like center of the Lido deck with the pool hot/tubs is really the only placed I noticed anything more "lively." Dining room, shows, activities, aft deck, atrium... everything else was pretty subdued and normal. I was a bit surprised to even see some very formal cocktail dresses/suits on elegant night.

I'm so sorry for your loss, and hope you find plans for Christmas that make it a little easier to get through the holidays.

Edited by me-shel

Depending on where you are coming from the weather will either be nice or lousy. If you are coming from Minnesota it will be wonderful. If you are coming from Florida it will be cool. Either way it will not be tropical. Probably in the 60s. I would expect everyone to be in a festive mood. I would expect some folks to be merry making. Sorry for your loss. I know how that hurts.

The short cruises, especially over the holidays will be filled with lots of kids and families. Usually the kids are contained within the clubs. Probably won't have any Bachelor/ette parties or college kids because it is 'family' time and is not a cheap time to sail. There will be lots of places that are quiet onboard.

The ship will be decorated for the holidays. Don't be turned off by the decor around the rest of the ship. The buffet is Farcus at his finest.:eek: Never had a bad experience on the Inspiration.

Our rainy season usually doesn't start until February. But you might experience some bouncing going Northbound. The currents come down the coast from Alaska, and partially funnels thru the Channel (Catalina). The West Coast cruises almost always bounce, sway or rock. Ranging from almost non-existent to bags on the wall.

Haven't sailed out of Florida. Long Beach is relatively easy as there is only one ship in port. Staggered Check-in is starting in a few weeks. Hopefully that will relieve some of the congestion outside the Dome.

Sorry for your loss.

Edited by SadieN

My husband and I fairly recently had a loss in our family and we are dreading the holidays which are approaching very quickly.

I am looking at some short getaways to try and make it easier on us instead of being in an empty home and was hoping for some thoughts on the 3 day Carnival Inspiration to Ensenada at Christmas.

Would anyone know if this would be a nice short trip or would the weather out there be miserable at that time of year? Is cruising out of Long Beach much harder than cruising out of Florida? Are 3 day cruises really just party boats? (we don't drink)

I would appreciate any thoughts at all. :)

Thank you so much!

3 day cruises, regardless of itinerary, at Christmas will somehow help you cope with the sorrows you have now. You can relive the memories of your lost loved one in the confines of your stateroom, or decide to celebrate the joys of Christmas with the families on board. Stay strong!

Thank you all very, very much. My husband and I booked the cruise today and we are really looking forward to it.

I am so sorry for your loss. Long Beach is an easy port to board a ship. You probably already know that there is no holding tank. Check in process starts at 9:30 and it is all outside. There are very few places to sit. Get there early for photo ops of the Queen Mary next door to your ship. (it is now a hotel) and amazing. We had a blast in Encenada. I hope you do too!!!! Have a wonderful time and I hope you all find peace in your hearts.

Edited by champagne123
jjjjj

I am so sorry for your loss. Long Beach is an easy port to board a ship. You probably already know that there is no holding tank. Check in process starts at 9:30 and it is all outside. There are very few places to sit. Get there early for photo ops of the Queen Mary next door to your ship. (it is now a hotel) and amazing. We had a blast in Encenada. I hope you do too!!!! Have a wonderful time and I hope you all find peace in your hearts.

Staggered Check In starts in a few weeks. Earliest check in time for the short cruises is Noon. Longer cruises start at 12:30.

Staggered Check In starts in a few weeks. Earliest check in time for the short cruises is Noon. Longer cruises start at 12:30.

Thank you for the correction Sadie. Mine was a 15 day cruise and check in started at 9:30. I guess things have changed. This is good though...as the OP has more time to visit the Queen Mary.

Thank you for the correction Sadie. Mine was a 15 day cruise and check in started at 9:30. I guess things have changed. This is good though...as the OP has more time to visit the Queen Mary.

So have all of our other cruises. We'll see what happens for our Hawaii cruise.