staggered check-in

tngirl1stcruise12

They are in the hospitality business. Why is all of this a "problem" for Carnival at all when it's not a problem for ANY other company, even the ones under Carnival's corporate umbrella?

A lot of you are asking the wrong question here.

Yes, we all accept 3000-4000-5000 people can not show up at 10:00AM and board a ship, or even fit inside the terminal. But if that REALLY is the problem, Carnival's solution was to shift the heavy lifting to the guest, and not figure out a way to streamline things.

Will you volunteer for a 2:30PM check in slot? I wouldn't.

Just because Carnival, the parent company, has implemented staggered check-in boarding times, who's to say it will not be implemented on their other lines as well?

There are many more important issues to worry about than being the first to board a ship.:(

MARAPRINCE

In your opinion, why was staggered check in implemented? What was in mind when the plan was thought up?

In my opinion it is because there were long lines both to get in the terminal, to go through security, and to stand in line to check in. I have experienced the long wait quite a few times. Some were at 10:15AM, and some were later, like my last cruise which I arrived at 11:00AM.

The earlier times were worse. The line to get in was all the way out the door to the sidewalk. Luckily I had FTTF so once I cleared security, the line to check in wasn't nearly as bad as the regular one. That one was practically to the very beginning of where it started.

I see no problem with this new way. And neither do the majority of people that have experienced it from what I have seen.

Just because Carnival, the parent company, has implemented staggered check-in boarding times, who's to say it will not be implemented on their other lines as well?

There are many more important issues to worry about than being the first to board a ship.:(

MARAPRINCE

I never said I want to be first. I said I'd be bothered if I were denied entry to the terminal until 2:30PM.

There's way more important issues than anything related to cruise vacations. But this is the corner of the world to discuss these trivial details related to cruise vacations.

In my opinion it is because there were long lines both to get in the terminal, to go through security, and to stand in line to check in. I have experienced the long wait quite a few times. Some were at 10:15AM, and some were later, like my last cruise which I arrived at 11:00AM.

The earlier times were worse. The line to get in was all the way out the door to the sidewalk. Luckily I had FTTF so once I cleared security, the line to check in wasn't nearly as bad as the regular one. That one was practically to the very beginning of where it started.

I see no problem with this new way. And neither do the majority of people that have experienced it from what I have seen.

Call me a contrarian or just lucky, I've never dealt with those super long lines and I generally arrive between 11:00AM - 12:00PM. Some lines, yes, but no big deal. Not hours long lines.

I don't understand why Carnival cares if there's a long line outside the terminal if people are content to participate in it. Maybe too many surveys with people saying they don't like being "herded" (i hear this from lots of people I know that are new to cruising) and they felt this would alleviate it?

Yes, we all accept 3000-4000-5000 people can not show up at 10:00AM and board a ship, or even fit inside the terminal. But if that REALLY is the problem, Carnival's solution was to shift the heavy lifting to the guest, and not figure out a way to streamline things. QUOTE]

I disagree. They DID find a way to stream line things....Instead of trying to cram those 3000-4000-5000 people into the terminal, they came out with a "suggested checkin times" at the top of your boarding pass. Judging from all the posts on here with people saying things like "they don't enforce that, so just show up when you want", they were still probably getting 3000-4000-5000 showing up at 10 am. Carnival figured "hey, we don't let them into the terminal until their time, we wont get the mad rush at 10 am". So now at certain ports, you have staggered checkin and they tell you, if you show up before your time, you get to wait outside. So it goes back to the simple concept of do what you are told to do. You can still show up early, but you will wait outside. If getting on early is that important to you, make sure you get FTTF or book far enough in advance that you can pick an early check in time....You seem to feel that because you want to board early, Carnival should just accommodate that....The world does not work that way

Edited by First and Ten

So, LMaxwell, your solution to the problem is as follows: create more drop off space and add additional attendants to take care of luggage, redesign the terminal with more entry points, provide more security x-ray machines, make all seating areas twice as large, double up the number of check-in personnel, provide more ship's crew to prepare the ship between cruises, add more ship personnel to make sure luggage gets to the rooms early, hire more off-duty police officers to direct "first surge" traffic, build more parking garages so that embarkees and debarkees can park in separate areas, and do this without adding or increasing the fare for a cruise and for areas used one or two mornings per week. Consider it done!

Call me a contrarian or just lucky, I've never dealt with those super long lines and I generally arrive between 11:00AM - 12:00PM. Some lines, yes, but no big deal. Not hours long lines.

I don't understand why Carnival cares if there's a long line outside the terminal if people are content to participate in it. Maybe too many surveys with people saying they don't like being "herded" (i hear this from lots of people I know that are new to cruising) and they felt this would alleviate it?

Probably because it causes problems with people departing the ship to begin with. Every cruise I have been on there have been people standing outside with luggage waiting for a cab or transportation while the people getting on are searching for a porter. It makes for quite the cluster when you have groups going both ways with taxis dropping off and picking up, luggage carts scattered about, cops directing traffic while people are playing leap frog to get across the street.

Sometimes the porters aren't even accepting luggage yet because they are assisting the passengers getting off. So there you have another line that begins to form. Then people get hot and they complain that there is nothing to eat or drink when they get inside or who knows what other thing they find to gripe about.

I'll let you know how it compares to the old way next month.

I would also like to add that it may also be a security issue. The less people that are there, the better off it is. If they allow people to enter in a timely, organized fashion and not have crowds gathered in a non secure place, the safer it is.

Edited by firemanbobswife

You seem to feel that because you want to board early, Carnival should just accommodate that....The world does not work that way

I actually in plain speak said just the opposite.

So, LMaxwell, your solution to the problem is as follows: create more drop off space and add additional attendants to take care of luggage, redesign the terminal with more entry points, provide more security x-ray machines, make all seating areas twice as large, double up the number of check-in personnel, provide more ship's crew to prepare the ship between cruises, add more ship personnel to make sure luggage gets to the rooms early, hire more off-duty police officers to direct "first surge" traffic, build more parking garages so that embarkees and debarkees can park in separate areas, and do this without adding or increasing the fare for a cruise and for areas used one or two mornings per week. Consider it done!

That's certainly taking it to the extreme end of things; I don't really think the infrastructure can be changed at the snap of a finger, but some of the issue can be alleviated with more "warm bodies", sure.

Probably because it causes problems with people departing the ship to begin with. Every cruise I have been on there have been people standing outside with luggage waiting for a cab or transportation while the people getting on are searching for a porter. It makes for quite the cluster when you have groups going both ways with taxis dropping off and picking up, luggage carts scattered about, cops directing traffic while people are playing leap frog to get across the street.

Sometimes the porters aren't even accepting luggage yet because they are assisting the passengers getting off. So there you have another line that begins to form. Then people get hot and they complain that there is nothing to eat or drink when they get inside or who knows what other thing they find to gripe about.

I'll let you know how it compares to the old way next month.

That's why I generally don't arrive before 11:00AM and have not encountered those problems.

But I look forward to hearing your personal experiences of how it goes. What time slot did you get, by the way?

Won't work at Port of Miami or Port Everglades.

This isn't a problem for MSC, Royal Carribean, NCL, Princess, Celebrity, Holland America. And it hasn't been a problem for Carnival for 40+ years. They just want to save money. They think their clients aren't sophisticated enough to know when they are getting a raw deal, and by and large, they are right.

When I sailed Royal the terminal was a hot mess of chaos. Just because they haven't done anything about it doesn't mean it's not an issue.

When I sailed Royal the terminal was a hot mess of chaos. Just because they haven't done anything about it doesn't mean it's not an issue.

The last time I cruised RCCL (suffice it to say it was a while ago) the drop off zone was about a block away from the terminal and you had to lug your luggage, stand in line, and then you could check in your luggage just before you headed into the terminal. The line was outside, in a non covered area, was a good city block long with everyone pushing and scooting their luggage with no seats, drinks, etc. It was beyond miserable. Hopefully things have changed.

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

I'm not sure why everyone seems so concerned that because of a policy I don't like and have stated is going to make me rethink any LAST MINUTE travel plans I might make that I won't ever cruise Carnival again. I never said that. I am perfectly happy to cruise them until my DS is no longer a factor and I can move on to a more refined and grown-up cruise line. I don't believe I will have a problem getting the first check in time when I normally book a year out. This will ensure that I am on the ship eating lunch at a reasonable hour which is what I prefer when paying for that day of my travel. You don't have to like the way I plan or what I want out of my vacation so please stop commenting on it.

Don't worry I booked my Disney vacation this past July and we aren't going until June 2017 and I have all the dates marked for booking my ADR's and Fastpasses. I do lots of research for all of my vacations and I am no novice.

While not asked I totally agree.

Sent from my iPhone

What is most important to me is the time I can get on the ship. I don't care as much about where my cabin is located. We all have different priorities when it comes to our vacation and how we spend out travel dollars. I always plan ahead for our main family summer travel but sometimes I need a vacation that is soon and cruising on Carnival will no longer be in the mix. THAT. IS. ALL.

You couldn't be more wrong about me if you tried. At least with WDW everyone has the same opportunity to try for reservations at their 180 day mark. There is no class system unless you stay off site. I didn't make this an issue for Carnival but Carnival has made it an issue for me and I will speak with my money.

[ quote =trvlgrlqm] I'm not sure why everyone seems so concerned that because of a policy I don't like and have stated is going to make me rethink any LAST MINUTE travel plans I might make that I won't ever cruise Carnival again. I never said that. I am perfectly happy to cruise them until my DS is no longer a factor and I can move on to a more refined and grown-up cruise line. I don't believe I will have a problem getting the first check in time when I normally book a year out. This will ensure that I am on the ship eating lunch at a reasonable hour which is what I prefer when paying for that day of my travel. You don't have to like the way I plan or what I want out of my vacation so please stop commenting on it.

Don't worry I booked my Disney vacation this past July and we aren't going until June 2017 and I have all the dates marked for booking my ADR's and Fastpasses. I do lots of research for all of my vacations and I am no novice.

Why in the world are you on a 'chat' board complaining and telling people not to comment? Is it just to hear yourself talk? Because you aren't listening to yourself very good.

OK. I think this is a done thread.

Edited by Bookbug53

Patience and respect for fellow passengers can be learned without incurring any costs.

After all, we are all eager to board and start our vacations but not everyone can be first.

If you must be among the first to board, show up as early as possible but please do not complain if you are told to go and sit down until actual boarding begins with those passengers for whatever reason have priority boarding.

Maraprince

Exactly. I prefer to show up early or whenever is most convenient, check-in, sit down, and wait patiently for boarding to begin. I liked that system. I had no problems with that system. :D

Like others, I am concerned that I will book a "last-minute" (less than three months out) cruise and then learn that the only open check-in times are well after noon. Then, I have to guess what time to leave our hotel, considering we usually stay several hours away to further break up the long drive, and there are many variables that can affect arrival time. Can I really leave the Orlando area at precisely the time that will get me to the Miami terminal for a 1 p.m. check-in time? If traffic is light and all goes well, I'm standing outside waiting with three kids, including one who has a neurological disorder and needs a calm, safe place to wait, like a seat in the terminal. If I aim to arrive later and run into problems, I get to board at 3 p.m.?

Wait, I forgot, I can get FTTF. which keeps getting more expensive.:rolleyes:

Exactly. I prefer to show up early or whenever is most convenient, check-in, sit down, and wait patiently for boarding to begin. I liked that system. I had no problems with that system. :D

Like others, I am concerned that I will book a "last-minute" (less than three months out) cruise and then learn that the only open check-in times are well after noon. Then, I have to guess what time to leave our hotel, considering we usually stay several hours away to further break up the long drive, and there are many variables that can affect arrival time. Can I really leave the Orlando area at precisely the time that will get me to the Miami terminal for a 1 p.m. check-in time? If traffic is light and all goes well, I'm standing outside waiting with three kids, including one who has a neurological disorder and needs a calm, safe place to wait, like a seat in the terminal. If I aim to arrive later and run into problems, I get to board at 3 p.m.?

Life is full of choices....

My son is autistic. While he continues to cruise with me, I will continue to purchase FTTF. Well worth it for people in our situation.

On RCCL, after dealing with the check-in chaos in the terminal with people arriving as others were departing, almost getting run over while unloading our luggage, and then waiting over 20 minutes to get into the terminal before getting to the check in window. Once on board, we waited over 30 minutes to get an elevator to take us up to our cabin level to drop off our hand luggage before going to the buffet. No way could passengers with young children in strollers manage their hand luggage while carrying their children up 5 or more flights of steps. If you had any mobility issues, the crush of people rushing the elevators, pushed you to the back as more people boarded. Didn't matter if you were in a wheelchair or using a cane. It was every "man" for himself in a race to get to the food.:( Definitely not the way to begin your sailing and it certainly created a very negative impression of RCCL not caring about their passengers. Ship personnel was nowhere to be seen to help the "herd" navigate the elevators.

There is a real reason why you need to have a staggered check in at various cruise ports. Once you are on the ship, you cannot have over 1,000 passengers trying to get into elevators with their hand luggage and expect things to go smoothly.

MARAPRINCE

Edited by Maraprince

Eh...I don't get the big deal, honestly.

We booked a few months in advance. When doing our Online Check In parts, we had the option of check in times as early as 10:30 AM, and as late as 2:30 PM.

We chose 2:00 PM, and no it isn't my first cruise. I just don't see the big deal about getting on the boat as fast as possible, only to sit around and wait some more. We will go enjoy lunch before getting on the boat, and then board at a time, when we can get settled in the room, THEN enjoy the cruise.

Much ado about nothing, I suppose.

Edited by Capn12

Carnival started implementing staggered check in times almost a year ago in Galveston. It's in more ports now but not all of them. Thousands of people have experienced it by now. If you want to check in early then pick one of the earliest check in times. Check in time is not the same as boarding time. If you arrive at the terminal before your check in time they will ask you to come back at your check in time. If you're late you will be let in the terminal. Diamond, platinum, and faster to the fun passengers still choose a time but can show up whenever.

If the port you're sailing out of hasn't implemented it there yet then you don't need to choose a time. They have a list on their website.

It's really very simple.

I don't understand. We are sailing out of Galveston in October 2017. Everyone has told me that Galveston has the staggered check-in time but nowhere on my booking is there a place to choose your check-in time where everyone says it should be. Do you have to complete your online check-in for it to show up? Or is it maybe too early being over a year away? Help! I really would like to choose the earliest possible check-in time, but can't find where. :confused:

Ok thanks! I will keep checking back!

I can't speak for Galveston , but FWIW I am leaving out of Norfolk and the option also was not there when I did my online check in. After speaking with Carnival to inquire they said they would send me an email to let me know the option was available. So keep an eye out for that.

Edited by Shirleybird