Manaus- meeting of the waters

stew300

It is absolutely amazing. They flow side-by-side within the same banks, and don't comingle for miles! Quite a sight.

We sailed from Manaus to San Juan PR on the original Pacific Princess, way back in 12-91, and really enjoyed that trip.

Just returned Saturday from a Panama Canal/Amazon cruise and you can definitely see the meeting of the waters at two locations. We were able to get good photos from the ship in both areas. Pretty interesting stuff - just be sure to pay attention to the announcements about when you'll be in these areas.

Enjoy!!

When we were there we did a day trip to see the separation of waters and then on up stream for some different things. The guy that toured us on his river boat that he was refurbishing, also alerted us to something that the naturalist on a HAL Amazon cruise probably would not point out to you as it would make some squeamish.

The eventualy "combined" fresh waters of the Amazon run something like 50 to 90 miles out into the Atlantic Ocean. Fresh water Amzonian fish swim on out there, and then finally and suddenly the water mixes with the salt water and the fish perish as they are trapped. We happend to be out walking the promenade deck when we hit this area and suddenly there were all of these dead fish floating around. I'm sure the sharks and others that can survive this "brakish" water must enjoy the food supply.

It's interesting to see and amazing since the Amazon is so powerful.

Just returned Saturday from a Panama Canal/Amazon cruise and you can definitely see the meeting of the waters at two locations. We were able to get good photos from the ship in both areas. Pretty interesting stuff - just be sure to pay attention to the announcements about when you'll be in these areas.

Enjoy!!

tjcox9,

Have you just come of the Veendam by any chance? If so, we are booked on that same cruise next September and I would love to hear of your experience. If you don't want to post here would you please email me on lynton@rabbit.com.au

Jennie

I just returned from cruise on Veendam Pan. C. and Amazon River. Please recheck with the shore excursion desk or reconsider booking river tours as the river levels are VERY LOW right now. The ship at one point had only 2 meters under her at one point of the cruise. We booked three tours in Brazil and due to low water levels we were not able to go into canals to view river wildlife etc. The alligator tour is a joke to say the least. Perhaps by the November cruise the water level will be up and all will be well, just a word of warning.

I, too, just returned from the Veendam Panama Canal/Amazon cruise. It was a wonderful cruise and all the ports in Brazil were very interesting. While you can see the "meeting of the waters" as you approach Manaus in the morning, it gets dark about 5:30 in the PM so you won't see it as you leave. On the small riverboat, which we took, you can really see it as you approach and as you zigzag back and forth. While the river was the lowest in 63 years, we hiked across the jungle to what there was left of Lake January to see the giant water lilies and to see just how far the river will rise come January and later in the year as the snow from the Andes melts and the river rises. The people at our table who took the "Alligators by Night Tour" were quite happy with it. The guide actually got into the water and caught an alligator for them to hold. Enjoy!

Jean,

Thanks for filling us in. As you can see we are booked for the same time next year and as yet I haven't done much research on this cruise. I just knew I wanted to do it.

At the moment we are busily tying up all the loose ends for our forthcoming trip in 8 weeks time. As we will be away for 6 weeks there is quite a bit of organization to do.

Jennie

Jennie,

I hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise. I appreciated the information you gave on the Massdam 35 day cruise last summer that I am taking next year. I'll be glad to answer any questions you have about the Amazon cruise. We truly did enjoy it. I am just now unpacking my souvenirs and they are bringing back lots of happy memories. The Brazilian people were so friendly. Do try to learn a little Portugese before you go. It makes for more fun. Enjoy!

Archived