Star Princess North to Alaska! Sept 10 2016

Bimmer09

We are at the summit now and not climbing and are in the mists. it cooled rapidly but no way was I going inside. I was in a world, a landscape that had left the 21st century behind (apart from the train and all my digital photo gear LOL)

We were gliding in supreme comfort, drinking free beer and wine (Alaskan Craft beers) and eating salmon, through the Natural World where rocks and streams had been living quietly for years away from the unnatural things that happen far down below. There's no squalor, poverty (I am from Chicago) homeless people, bigotry and hate, No ISIS, ISIL, Daesh or whatever we are calling them today.

But it lacks all the good things of modern society too.

Most of Alaska will look like this. It's too vast for all of it to have been walked. It stretches over 9% of the Earth's longitude I am told.

The air is like a glass of Verve Cliquot. It's just as damp too.

30233831856_e5c00605a0_b.jpg

30233832956_265d6cf66e_b.jpg

30153132152_98f6fcf6e5_b.jpg

My chair sits empty

29638429813_42363b97a2_b.jpg

29638430863_6d41ae75eb_b.jpg

30233838056_98e5c30199_b.jpg

30268691515_c8eba359cd_b.jpg

30268693405_deb4ee45c7_b.jpg

29637986084_951edc1080_b.jpg

30183143061_6ae7d95de4_b.jpg

We're now at the point where we have to turn around for the journey back to Skagway. The train is going to make a long sweeping turn and go back along the same tracks so a man in uniform-the Conductor-gets off so that he can change the points. While he does we make that lazy loop.

30268696755_97f6b0e83d_b.jpg

30233849556_dffe446229_b.jpg

30183146071_f4e712df4f_b.jpg

30183147751_543d4981cd_b.jpg

The Conductor climbs back on board and we are on our way home.

Inside it's time for a snack and a beer.

30233854206_c5bc2aa6e5_b.jpg

Salmon on a bagel with cream cheese, reindeer sausage and cheddar and little tarts-one with rhubarb and the other had crab dip.

The swivel chairs were great as I could face it inward to talk to the British couple opposite then swivel around to look out the window again.

Not good gardening soil

30183149251_3b219d0f76_b.jpg

30268704545_c22407debf_b.jpg

29638458903_b353584c13_b.jpg

• Like 1

30183153111_6c3a4b0ee7_b.jpg

29638462353_2883bc27a3_b.jpg

I shot about 18 minutes of video on the trip that will show the outskirts of Skagway before we get into some wilderness. I've broken it up into two videos as it was so long.

During the trip you get glimpses of the rocky narrow trail that the prospectors took with their overloaded horses. The gold was in the Klondike hundreds of miles away in Yukon, Canada and walking and then rafting was how you got there (or didn't). Many of the horses died of exhaustion. Of the 100,000 men estimated to take the journey, 30,000 arrived over the span of two years. See Klondike Gold Rush on Wikipedia. Skagway was the entry point for ships arriving from Vancouver, Seattle and San Francisco.

A marvelous way to spend an afternoon! We were back at the dock.

30183155551_69feb93c86_b.jpg

Most of the passengers took the offer of a stop near the station so they could visit the town but we had stayed on to save a walk.

The Conductor

30268713935_bcd3cd61b0_b.jpg

30268714965_5d749205bc_b.jpg

Wow! Absolutely beautiful and so peaceful

You would love Skagway and what it offers and with you in mind here is a little video I made back in 2012, walking the streets. I think it had to be later in the morning than this year's photo walk, judging by the traffic.

I mention the population being 800- estimates put the current number at 1,050.

So this is for you...(sorry, don't know your name)

[YOUTUBE]ehAl62R1V50[/YOUTUBE]

Norris

oh my goodness! This kind of town was made for me! Thank you for sharing. hmmm now how I talk Nate into going to Alaska sooner rather than later....he's a beach guy. Alaska is at the bottom of his list....I might have to do some work on that :rolleyes:

I don't know if I've ever shared my blog with you from my Ireland trip (non cruise in 2014) but if you've never been there I think you and Carol would love it. I went for 10 days and travelled all over and blogged daily.

~Crystal :)

Crystal, thanks and feel free to put a link to your blog in your next post.

I haven't traveled in Ireland much, to be honest, so am interested.

Alaska isn't ideal for a beach guy but it's something different and he may fall under its spell.

Cheers!

Norris

There was that moment as I set foot on the gangway, knowing that it was the last time I would walk up into the Star and it happened after the train ride. Rats!

We still had two days at sea and they were glacier days.

Back on board we did the predictable-Carol one to the IC for lunch and I went to the Trident Grill. Then a nap and while I napped the batteries charged ready for whatever came next.

I stopped into to a show by Steve Hites who plays guitar and tells the story of Alaska and Skagway with anecdotes and songs. Very good and had every seat filled.

Onward to the main show tonight-comedy and magic with Farrell Dillon who was good at both. Again standing room only.

29670644133_5ca4fba2bb_b.jpg

The show began at 8 p.m and we sailed away during it but there's not much to see once you leave Skagway as it's inky black darkness on all sides.

Again our waiter Gen was at the door of Portofino to welcome us and soon we were dining from the Italian Night menu.

Wine and bread are the staples of life (write that down)

30301322605_291080e215_b.jpg

The table number (129) is in need of a dry dock and is indicative of the Star's rust bucket status (LOL)

I'll have the Everyday Out of Focus Shrimp Cocktail please

30004523820_c4dda2e2ee_b.jpg

Carol's prosciutto and melon

29670936444_b82f852760_b.jpg

If Minestrone is on a menu I am having it

29670939674_78dd2c07a0_b.jpg

My veal was a winner. Saltimbocca.

30301328245_1f61d022ec_b.jpg

My tiramisu-another favorite

30004529940_40772a2f86_b.jpg

And Carol's Limoncello sorbet

30185687582_d4fb0a780f_b.jpg

Yet another fine meal at the end of another wonderful day onboard.

Again an early night as it was our style and I had to be up early as usual as we would be approaching Glacier Bay.

Until then...

Norris

• Like 1

Another lurker coming forth to state how much I am loving this review. And your other reviews as well. I've been creepin' on you for a while. :D I'm strictly a Caribbean cruiser right now, but hope to branch out in the coming years!

Welcome Pittsburg! Lurk no more in the shadows!

Thanks for reading all the reviews.

Branching out is good-we do the Caribbean each January for the warmth but there's a limited interest in the islands for us as we're not beach people per se.

But we are on a ship and loving each minute. There are so many itineraries we would like to sail but some take longer than 7 days. In 6 years or so that may change radically. The only itinerary I would bet on (apart from another Italian cruise including Barcelona) would be 7 days to Norway. We would go back to Alaska at the drop of a hat as it's so unique-and close.

We've also branched out by trying another cruise line and enjoyed Celebrity very much and that's to be repeated.

Glad to have you on board.

Norris

Good stuff as usual Norris. Just catching back up. BTW:

I knew the Hollies.

Here are some more. I know I missed a couple, but, it is late.

Water, water everywhere #492 The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Blood on the Tracks. #526 Dylan

Freight train, freight train, going so fast. #527 Peter, Paul and Mary did a version of this.

Rock of Ages. #527 Def Leppard

I see that train a comin', comin' 'round the bend... #528 Johnny Cash

Mists rolling in #528 Paul McCartney- Mull Of Kintyre

Please don't miss this train I'm on.. #529 (A shot in the dark here) The O'Jays' Love Train??

It takes a lot to laugh, it takes a train to cry #530 Dylan again

Up around the bend... #530 Creadence Clear Water Revival

Well I ride on the mail train baby, can't buy a thrill #531 See #530, Dylan

Train keeps on a rollin' #532 Not exactly the song title, but, Aerosmith - Train Kept a Rollin' ??

Big wheels keep on turnin' #534 Proud Mary, Pick one: Tom Jones, Ike and Tina Turner Review, or Creadence Clear Water Revival. Ike and Tina Turner did the best version (just me).

We're on our way home, we're going home #535, Two of Us, The Beatles

Edited by ar1950

Within the past year they have introduced two luxury cars to their fleet of trains and at $300 each we were splurging but we had leather armchairs that swiveled and an open bar and snacks to help us through the 4 hour journey. Our bartender and guide was Nick who knew when to speak and when to let the scenery speak for itself.

We are ready for the off

29637873714_fa8fafe507_b.jpg

Very cool! I like the luxury car idea.

"We are ready for the off" BTW, isn't there a painting by that name? Maybe the term for the start of a horse race??

Edited by ar1950

Yes, I said The Hollies too.

If the music started up I could sing along and be word perfect.

Don't ask me what I did yesterday though😄

Look forward to catching up every day. Can't wait for the glacier.

I can totally relate! :D :eek:

I've had that Hollies song running through my head, even my dreams for two days now! I'm not even going to start on all of today's offerings! :eek:

Norris, those pictures are amazing! I'm wondering, though, if you ever had a chance to enjoy that comfortable chair. I know those pictures and videos will bring back wonderful memories for you and Carol, so all that platform time was time well spent.

ar, great work on the song quotes!

Please don't miss the train I'm on is from Freight Train ,Freight train if I recall correctly.

The luxury car splurge was worth it.

Norris

I can totally relate! :D :eek:

I've had that Hollies song running through my head, even my dreams for two days now! I'm not even going to start on all of today's offerings! :eek:

Norris, those pictures are amazing! I'm wondering, though, if you ever had a chance to enjoy that comfortable chair. I know those pictures and videos will bring back wonderful memories for you and Carol, so all that platform time was time well spent.

Nancy I enjoyed the heck out of that chair on the way back as I'd already taken enough pics. I spent very little time in it after we left the town limits on the way up. On the way back it was beer and snacks time.

I'm sure another 4 years or more will pass before we are on the train again, if at all as there are so many other tempting excursions.

Norris

Each elevator lobby has one of these handy signs to let you know where everything is located. It tells me I am on deck 14.

30021901370_f3b166068b_b.jpg

Why?.....This

29688297744_16e05eb1b0_b.jpg

Twice this week, on the Formal Nights they run a specialty restaurant in the rear of the HC. It's called the Crab Shack and costs $29 per person. As we were enjoying the MDR so much we didn't go but it's something I'm sure we'll experience in the future, although neither of us like bibs, mess and using tools to eat.

There was a menu laid out by the elevators

29688299684_f16a13400e_b.jpg

The Horizon Court is nicely furnished and not reminiscent of a cafeteria. The table is laid with the glasses and cups you'll need and there are eating irons wrapped in napkins-on non formal days the latter were handed to you when they handed you your plate. The plates come in two sizes according to your appetite.

I always took a small 10 inch one. They are made of melamine.

Princess has upgraded (greatly) their buffet rooms on the Royal Class ships so they are less congested and tight where the food is laid out. I haven't sailed on a Royal Class ship yet but am sure I will at some point although I don't like some of the design features from the Italian designer Giacomo Boneheadi. The designer works to a mandate so not his fault at all. The interiors sure are eye candy!

30202739212_42af05f69d_b.jpg

Very inviting rooms with lots of window tables

30318719755_a4438e63af_b.jpg

Cool carpet!

29688307284_6e31feb765_b.jpg

Although there are so many tasty dishes in the HC I stick with my usual plate of delicious treats so I home in on each without any dithering and am loaded up in a couple of minutes. Even so, the food isn't hot so I eat it quickly. I always clean my plate.

30318727465_a3b422208f_b.jpg

A waiter brings me orange juice. No walking around with drinks in your hand and a plate in the other. This early I have my pick of tables and choose a window table for four. 10 minutes and I am gone with a cup of coffee for my smoke.

We are still a few hours away from seeing a glacier. I am prepared with 5 layers of clothing;

Thermal underwear, top and bottom

A light sleeved shirt

A light sweater

A thick rugby jersey (long sleeves)

A leather jacket with a warm inner lining

I am super toasty and indoors rather overdressed. Out on deck though I am snug and can stay out on deck all day if need be.

The Captain tells us over the PA that at 8 am we'll be passing an island that sea lions have colonized. Carol will be up and dressed by then so she can see from our balcony as we are passing on the starboard side.

I'm on Promenade deck when the time comes. Even though it is only 8 a.m a waiter is pushing a cart up and down selling Irish/Jamaican/French coffees. Too early for me even though I love all of them.

30283753256_6efa5ceee3_b.jpg

Mists!! Hooray!

30318741745_39e06dfcfb_b.jpg

I can see something on the rocks

30283749446_2c33884286_b.jpg

29688333894_9cf245c789_b.jpg

Are they sea lions? I eliminate giraffes from my guesswork as the necks are way too short. Zebras? No way-no stripes and not many, if any, legs that I can see. I obviously didn't go to the Wildlife lecture.

I am using the 70-200mm zoom and look closer

30232901761_e77afb5d5d_b.jpg

Giraffes!!!

• Like 1

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a wonderful review. Your pictures are amazing! I just found your review last night and I have not been able to stop reading. We have cruised all over the world but never Alaska. Thanks to you that will be changing in the near future, hopefully, this summer.

The bad part about your review is that now I will have to read all your other reviews!!

Thank you again.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a wonderful review. Your pictures are amazing! I just found your review last night and I have not been able to stop reading. We have cruised all over the world but never Alaska. Thanks to you that will be changing in the near future, hopefully, this summer.

The bad part about your review is that now I will have to read all your other reviews!!

Thank you again.

Welcome aboard and thanks for the nice compliments !

With the shorter days and the approach of the cold weather you can slowly work your way through the reviews-there are 3 now on Alaska alone-on those winter nights. You'll see there are a lot of good excursions to be had in Alaska although you won't be beaching it.

Cheers!

Norris

Yes you could smell them. They bathe a lot but without a nice sandalwood or eucalyptus soap.

29688384284_eafb2ba42a_b.jpg

30202816832_a87f32f656_b.jpg

29688010563_13bcf7df0e_b.jpg

29688015693_b82b8d0b93_b.jpg

30021995130_54bf8cfba7_b.jpg

29688018843_08e074b4f6_b.jpg

Several people stopped to ask my about the L Lens and I was very happy I had thought to bring it. If I do the trip again I'll bring a 400mm and get the faces of the sealions.

30318820075_4eab7f37e7_b.jpg

30022004790_75641739d6_b.jpg

30283833336_46f96314fd_b.jpg

The terrain starts to take an upward shift once we pass that island

30202852712_dc4502e87a_b.jpg

30318841045_3d17b55f63_b.jpg

It was time for me to head up to Tradewinds where I could sit down with a cup of coffee....