Star Princess North to Alaska! Sept 10 2016

Bimmer09

30361811355_5efeeab4f9_b.jpg

29731324734_1656915c51_b.jpg

30361820045_13e4da6acd_b.jpg

With the engines stopped and no wake and no music being piped outside it is indeed quiet between comments of the lady Park Ranger who knows when to leave long pauses and just let us watch what we are seeing.

If coming here you could plan a room service lunch and order a few drinks in and have a private viewing on your balcony.

29731330554_32d2ed26b9_b.jpg

29731331784_0482dc8763_b.jpg

30245238342_6f7ac33a62_b.jpg

Hello again, Norris,

Just wanted to let you know that I haven't abandoned you. Been away on another cruise, a Pacific Coastal on the Explorer of the Seas. Royal Caribbean gave us an offer we couldn't refuse. And we only had an hour and a half drive from our house to the ship.

I'm finally caught up with your review again. It's excellent as always. And your photos - magnificent! I must say that I'm very jealous that you got to cruise up the Inlet to John Hopkins Glacier.

Looking forward to the rest.

John

John, welcome home!

It's been a month now since we returned from this cruise and I have written each day, usually between 5 and 6 a.m and I'm still not done.

The Johns Hopkins is a September only thing-right at the end of the season.

How was Explorer of the Seas? I haven't sailed RCI as a passenger but you know my history of sailing with them 30 years ago.

Norris

I hope you like ships-not just cruise ships but cargo ships from all corners of the world that move commerce between countries far and wide. They're carrying the necessities and luxuries of life be it minerals, cars or containers full of goods for our stores.

I know I started late Norris, but I love your reviews! I too love all kinds of ships! There is a show on the Smithsonian channel called Mega Ships. It shows all kinds of freight, container, cruise and oil rigs and how they work. Its just amazing.. Just like your review and photos.. :)

Edited by Michelle19

There is no waste when taking Digital Photos-anything can be erased without wasting expensive film. There's no changing film rolls either or having to carry rolls of 36 exposures around. So I shoot a lot of photos, sometimes in quick succession if it's a moving animal or such (lots of animals coming up near the end of the review if there is such a thing).

The memory card in my camera can hold over 7,000 photos at the highest quality setting which is enough for almost 5 cruises. If this barrage of 60 photos becomes wearisome scrolling through them is easily done. If even one picture stops you in your tracks and makes you think of taking an Alaskan cruise I would be happy. There are no beaches, no Margaritavilles, no posing with a parrot and no rum cruises (unless you order a bottle from Room Service). What there is I am hoping you get the gist of from reading along on this review. We had no idea back in 2011 that we would be back in Alaska twice within the next 5 years but a first cruise there allows the land and all that dwells within it and in its waters to work its magic on you. It appeals to anyone who marvels at nature and the Great Outdoors.

30361835275_80ce68e8d9_b.jpg

30361838565_f7669474ea_b.jpg

30361843405_1cb4fa7699_b.jpg

A small, steep glacier, works it's way down to the water next to the JH

30064728330_81064dd978_b.jpg

30064731790_55cb691e36_b.jpg

29731347644_990b2213ee_b.jpg

How was Explorer of the Seas? I haven't sailed RCI as a passenger but you know my history of sailing with them 30 years ago.

I like the Voyager Class ships that RCCL has. They have a lot of excellent outside viewing areas. You're like me in that regard. Give me a railing that I can watch us come into port, and I'm a happy cruiser. One of the best things about the Voyager Class ships is the Helipad. It's all the way forward on Deck 4, and is open to passengers day and night. (It was only closed a few times on especially windy sea days.) The views there are incredible. Similar to the above the bridge deck on the Grand Class ships. There's also a forward viewing area on Deck 11 by the "Peak-A-Boo" Bridge. Plenty of low railings all along deck 12 above the pool. A nice viewing platform on Deck 13, very much like the one on the Grand Class ships.The Viking Crown Lounge is very similar to Skywalkers Lounge, great views out of the elements. And the outside Promenade Deck is terrific. Wide and wraps completely around the ship.

It does have the rock climbing wall, flowrider and ice skating rink. But they actually put on an amazing ice show, that is doubly incredible considering we're on a moving ship. And I actually like the Royal Promenade. Sure, it's basically a shopping mall, but it's got a nice pub and cafe that have "outside" seating. A fun place to sit and watch the world go by. I still like Princess better, but RCCL puts out a very nice product. And we've been very happy with the 4 cruises we took with them.

I hope you like ships-not just cruise ships but cargo ships from all corners of the world that move commerce between countries far and wide. They're carrying the necessities and luxuries of life be it minerals, cars or containers full of goods for our stores.

I know I started late Norris, but I love your reviews! I too love all kinds of ships! There is a show on the Smithsonian channel called Mega Ships. It shows all kinds of freight, container, cruise and oil rigs and how they work. Its just amazing.. Just like your review and photos.. :)

Michelle, my DVR in Michigan (where we are today) has both Mighty Ships and Mighty Cruise Ships recorded. We also have many trips up to the Sault (Soo) locks in Sault Ste.Marie in Ontario between Lake Superior and Huron under our belts. There we watch the mighty ships up to 1,000 feet long go through the locks from viewing stands 20 feet away. I've taken a lot of pics of those Lake Freighters (on my Blog).

Thanks for joining us here and for the compliments!

Norris

Hi Norris, I hope you just keep talking these beautiful photos of the world. If you ever feel someone looking over your shoulder don't worry it's only me.

Thank You again,

Tony

You're very welcome Tony!

Alas we can only take one or two cruises a year for now but hopefully more or at least longer when we retire in a few years. We love our land trips too-our next being 4 days driving up in Northern Michigan a week from now. Houston next May, San Francisco for Opera in June 2018-lots of great photo opportunities.

Maybe my dream Canon camera along the way?

I feel that Norway on a ship could happen next summer if we don't get tickets for the Wagner festival in Bayreuth which happens in August.

Thanks for continuing to read and for the kind comments Tony.

Norris

I like the Voyager Class ships that RCCL has. They have a lot of excellent outside viewing areas. You're like me in that regard. Give me a railing that I can watch us come into port, and I'm a happy cruiser. One of the best things about the Voyager Class ships is the Helipad. It's all the way forward on Deck 4, and is open to passengers day and night. (It was only closed a few times on especially windy sea days.) The views there are incredible. Similar to the above the bridge deck on the Grand Class ships. There's also a forward viewing area on Deck 11 by the "Peak-A-Boo" Bridge. Plenty of low railings all along deck 12 above the pool. A nice viewing platform on Deck 13, very much like the one on the Grand Class ships.The Viking Crown Lounge is very similar to Skywalkers Lounge, great views out of the elements. And the outside Promenade Deck is terrific. Wide and wraps completely around the ship.

It does have the rock climbing wall, flowrider and ice skating rink. But they actually put on an amazing ice show, that is doubly incredible considering we're on a moving ship. And I actually like the Royal Promenade. Sure, it's basically a shopping mall, but it's got a nice pub and cafe that have "outside" seating. A fun place to sit and watch the world go by. I still like Princess better, but RCCL puts out a very nice product. And we've been very happy with the 4 cruises we took with them.

John thanks for getting back to me on Royal.

I was just on their web site looking at the Radiance for a possible Norway cruise next August. They need to let Princess remodel their hokey website. I was looking at an aft Grand Suite but when you get to the deck plan it doesn't identify GS on the color chart but it looks like a big roomy corner of the ship.

I also looked at Princess 7 day offerings on the Crown (lame) Azamara (ditto). X had a good one on the Eclipse but suites are sold out and we like the suite life on X. The Eclipse goes to Flam and we want that train ride!

One that appealed was the HAL Konigsdam August 20th in a Neptune Suite with a good itinerary starting in Amsterdam. I'll run it by Carol. CC member reviews currently show the Kdam at a 56% approval rating which is brutal but I am curious about HAL.

Their website works well though!

How is the food on Royal compared to Princess?

Norris

Lovely to hear there will be animal photos coming up! That is what our son is most looking forward to (I am a scenery girl myself... but love the animals too). He keeps worrying that his camera wont be enough, he has a mirrorless olympus (with an additional zoom, not a HUGE zoom though) because it is light weight like he is (only 90 pounds dripping wet) so we are investing in some private lessons over the next few months with a photographer to teach him how to use his camera to its best ability. Thinking maybe dad could rent a larger zoom for HIS camera for the closer up photos though...

Hey there Norris; just following along and enjoying every minute. Love the pics of GB, and since we were there in June we didn't get to see the Hopkins glacier, what a treat. Can't wait to see College Fjord coming up through your lens, so gorgeous.

We love Skagway. I googled and could not find any information about Kirmse's going out of business as seen through your photos. I hope it isn't true. Kirmse's is one of those family owned businesses that I absolutely loved. Beautiful jewelry, and love the Christmas stuff toward the back. Our guide had told us about them and I visited and bought stuff both times. We loved the Skagway brewery/restaurant as well. Best mac and cheese ever.

Having been on 5 RC cruises and 1 Princess, I think RC wins in the Main Dining Room category for food, but Princess wins in the Specialty restaurants. Thinking back, I also liked the Windjammer (food court) better. But, RC was a good pick back when we had our kids and friends of kids tagging along, its great for families. Lots of kiddos on board in the Summer time. Now that our kids are all grown, I would like to try RC again in a more "off" season.

I will be curious to see what you decide about HAL.

Are you going to Houston in a couple of years for opera? I was born and raised there, and my son and his wife live there now.

Can't wait to see more pics and take in all of Alaska's beauty! Thank you Norris!

Tony, thanks for popping in again. I'm glad to see you are still following.

Thanks for the compliments on the photos! My goal was exactly that as on previous trips I just got point and shoot shots that lost the richness and detail that my eye had seen. They were good enough as momentos and reminders but this time I wanted to get some vivid pics that I could share with people who haven't stood gazing in awe at what enough snowflakes and continuous cold weather can become, given time.

I never stop being amazed at the Natural World and how much harm we can do to it though our consumerism.

Norris

Norris, you have most definitely achieved your goal that you wanted to achieve with these photos! They are spectacular!

Like you, I never stop being amazed at the natural world. It truly saddens me to see how much damage humans have done to it. Hopefully, I will manage to get to Alaska while there are still glaciers there to see.

Lovely to hear there will be animal photos coming up! That is what our son is most looking forward to (I am a scenery girl myself... but love the animals too). He keeps worrying that his camera wont be enough, he has a mirrorless olympus (with an additional zoom, not a HUGE zoom though) because it is light weight like he is (only 90 pounds dripping wet) so we are investing in some private lessons over the next few months with a photographer to teach him how to use his camera to its best ability. Thinking maybe dad could rent a larger zoom for HIS camera for the closer up photos though...

Heidi,it's a great idea to get him some private lessons and as I imagine he'll get hooked on learning once he sees the better pics he'll take and he can supplement the lessons with the great youtube videos there are by pro photographers. So many free classes there including wildlife shooting. There's a couple called Tony and Chelsea Northrup who are very good explainers.

The larger zooms if plastic aren't heavy. The L lens I was using is as it's made of magnesium and glass and added 3lbs to the camera weight. It was plenty powerful for the glaciers but not for the eagles on shore but of course the heavier the lens the harder it is to keep steady when zoomed from a moving boat.

Norris

Hey there Norris; just following along and enjoying every minute. Love the pics of GB, and since we were there in June we didn't get to see the Hopkins glacier, what a treat. Can't wait to see College Fjord coming up through your lens, so gorgeous.

We love Skagway. I googled and could not find any information about Kirmse's going out of business as seen through your photos. I hope it isn't true. Kirmse's is one of those family owned businesses that I absolutely loved. Beautiful jewelry, and love the Christmas stuff toward the back. Our guide had told us about them and I visited and bought stuff both times. We loved the Skagway brewery/restaurant as well. Best mac and cheese ever.

Having been on 5 RC cruises and 1 Princess, I think RC wins in the Main Dining Room category for food, but Princess wins in the Specialty restaurants. Thinking back, I also liked the Windjammer (food court) better. But, RC was a good pick back when we had our kids and friends of kids tagging along, its great for families. Lots of kiddos on board in the Summer time. Now that our kids are all grown, I would like to try RC again in a more "off" season.

I will be curious to see what you decide about HAL.

Are you going to Houston in a couple of years for opera? I was born and raised there, and my son and his wife live there now.

Can't wait to see more pics and take in all of Alaska's beauty! Thank you Norris!

College Fjord and the Harvard glacier was indeed a great photo opportunity.

HAL has already been nixed by Carol without even seeing the beautiful Konigsdam as she doesn't think we should be trying a third line so soon after trying our second and the Eclipse itinerary sails from Southampton which would give us a day or two in London beforehand. I showed her one of Miaminice's reviews of the Norwegian ports and she is hooked. But we can't book until we sail on the Reflection in January where they'll be dangling carrots in front of us especially the $25pp deposit.

We are going to Houston this May. We have been there in May each of the past two years for the opera and once in January 2014 when we sailed on the CB out of Bayport.

We stay at the Lancaster Hotel on Texas St.

Thanks for the feedback on Royal Caribbean!

Norris

Norris, you have most definitely achieved your goal that you wanted to achieve with these photos! They are spectacular!

Like you, I never stop being amazed at the natural world. It truly saddens me to see how much damage humans have done to it. Hopefully, I will manage to get to Alaska while there are still glaciers there to see.

Nancy, I'm glad you are enjoying the photos!

I have pics of shrinking glaciers up ahead (College Fjord).

Norris

Simply wonderful! And how wonderful of you to take the time to share them with us! Thank you!

Hi, thanks for coming aboard!

I'm glad you are liking what you see.

Norris

Using the 200mm L lens...

30064767370_838b78e663_b.jpg

A wide shot will give you an idea of how much detail the zoom can give you...this is 22mm vs the 200mm

30064776270_e4f80f11c2_b.jpg

29730148143_de9872beba_b.jpg

now 75mm

30245299412_8f1f9fe772_b.jpg

30245301822_0d17372a2a_b.jpg

and 200mm

30245305842_cc3de35e6d_b.jpg

Our time is up and we are heading back to the open sea. I take a shot from our balcony

30275628191_ac235e81f8_b.jpg

30064858520_294b43b530_b.jpg

An hour later it is drizzling again but we were blessed with good weather when it mattered

30064860680_0258cef1fd_b.jpg

What a fine morning and afternoon we have had. Now we have the evening to look forward to with a show and another fine dinner, our last in the MDR as tomorrow night, our last on board, we will be dining in the Crown Grill.

There is no waste when taking Digital Photos-anything can be erased without wasting expensive film. There's no changing film rolls either or having to carry rolls of 36 exposures around. So I shoot a lot of photos, sometimes in quick succession if it's a moving animal or such (lots of animals coming up near the end of the review if there is such a thing).

The memory card in my camera can hold over 7,000 photos at the highest quality setting which is enough for almost 5 cruises. If this barrage of 60 photos becomes wearisome scrolling through them is easily done. If even one picture stops you in your tracks and makes you think of taking an Alaskan cruise I would be happy. There are no beaches, no Margaritavilles, no posing with a parrot and no rum cruises (unless you order a bottle from Room Service). What there is I am hoping you get the gist of from reading along on this review. We had no idea back in 2011 that we would be back in Alaska twice within the next 5 years but a first cruise there allows the land and all that dwells within it and in its waters to work its magic on you. It appeals to anyone who marvels at nature and the Great Outdoors.

30361835275_80ce68e8d9_b.jpg

There is not just one there are several and too many to count. Bucket List for sure and before I am in the bucket I will be checking this off my list

There is not just one there are several and too many to count. Bucket List for sure and before I am in the bucket I will be checking this off my list

As you'll see when I put the video up, Norwegian also gets to visit Glacier Bay as the Pearl led the way in.

Norris

absolutely breathtaking! bring on the pictures!

Crystal, scrolling forward through my pics this morning I see a lot of ship photos coming up followed by College Fjord where I think I got some calving shots and maybe even video....to much stuff to look through given the time I have today.

Lastly there's a great bunch of wildlife shots once we get off the ship in Whittier.

I haven't even looked at the Go Pro footage yet to see if there's anything worth showing from the glaciers.

Norris