First Time Cruisers, Any Advice Welcome!!

jnippes92

Congratulations and enjoy your cruise! We discovered cruising last spring break and love it.

The issue that really got me on my first cruise was that there is only one outlet in your room. Not being able to charge phones, go pros, cameras, etc overnight was stressful. We were running around the ship trying to find power sources. A charging block is also helpful if you are off shore. We didn't use internet but wanted our phones for pictures or reading by the pool.

If you are drinking more than 5 drinks a day, go with the drink package. If you order it prior to the cruise, it's $49.95 a day and covers everything except bottles of wine and beer buckets. Also includes bottled water, powerades, specialty coffees, and soda. Those things add up.

Excursions: research your excursions. Sometimes you can find awesome excursions for as much as a quarter of the cost. Our trip to half moon cay was cancelled but we made it to Nassau. AVOID: Balmoral Island. We did a stingray excursion there for $75 a person. I've been on other stingray excursions where they take you out to a Caribbean sand bar and you feed and swim with rays. This place has poor captive creatures that they use to do a dog and pony show. They staff is rude and do not allow you to take pictures. Instead, at the end, you can purchase their picture CD for another $75. After 30 minutes with the rays, you are trapped on the island with $15 drinks and $30 burger and fry meals for another 4 hours. The beach is lovely but there are many beautiful beaches available by cab.

We discovered the shopping shows on our last cruise. If you like shopping, they give you island freebies and big discounts. Some of the daytime information shows are super helpful.

If you eat in the dining room, remember that you can order what you want off the menu. You are not limited to one appetizer, one entree, and one dessert. You can order multiples, order appetizers in entree sizes if you really enjoyed it or entrees in appetizer sizes if you want to try several.

If you want something, ask. We have always found the staff friendly, fun, and ready to help whenever they can.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Congratulations!

The only things I can suggest are stay away from the "gold by the foot" near the shops, and remember, don't try to do everything!;)

(You will have more time for that on your next cruise!):)

Thanks for reminding me! Yeah I bought two necklaces and a couple of bracelets. That was $150 I probably should have spent elsewhere.

You will overpack, just go with it. Go to the Dining Room at least a few times. Its fun to dress up and enjoy the pampering. My hubby and I just loved sitting at a big table and meeting new people. I have never paid extra for the dining experience and have never felt like I have missed anything. Food is good everywhere and there is so much variety, never felt the need to pay extra. I have never bought the coffee packages or liquor packages. Very overpriced. I think I paid for a fancy coffee once and it was same price as Starbucks. I did take some fancy creamers with me and with their coffee, it was perfect and FREE! Of course, this is just my opinion but things can add up very quickly price wise so you can just keep this in mind.

Congrats on both the upcoming wedding and your first Cruise!

My suggestion is if you don't have your passport them go ahead and get it! While the ship will let you board with a driver's license and birth certificate this documentation won't help if something happens in port (foreign country)

Also check your health insurance to see what your policy will pay abroad and check out travel insurance options for gaps/medical evacuation.

Hopefully there will be no need for either but if there is you will be thankful you have them!

Drink package if you plan on drinking (5 drinks a day to break even which is easy to do when relaxing by the pool it dancing the night away) it's also nice to not worry about how much you are spending!

Plan to have to go on a diet once you debark!

Welcome to the cruise addiction!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Make sure your wife books the cruise in her MAIDEN NAME. All documents must match your ID ie driver's license, passport, birth certificate. ,

After you're married and she changes her name on drivers license and passport then she can book cruises using her married name.

Dont pack all the junk on the cruise list. Clothes, toiletries, shoes, camera n phone n cords, meds, double the money. [emoji2]

Don't read too much Cruise critic. We're all cruise addicts and full of opinions. Take everything as a grain of salt and make your own decisions.

Elations an older ship so keep that in mind.

HAVE FUN and JOIN THE BALCONY CLUB!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Edited by cynt

There is a clothes line in the shower so you don't need pins. Just loop line through the clothing.

1 bottle wine or champagne at embarkation.

Ecstacy doesn't have a Steakhouse but you can order limited Steakhouse items for $20 in MDR.

Don't go to muster the minute it's called or you'll be up against the wall (if it's outside) for a long time. Go to the door where you'll go out to it and let a bunch of people ahead of you until the line trickles.

I take a collapsable cooler for ice. Keep it on shower floor so it doesn't get stuff wet.

Don't over pack especially shoes. I take flip flops, walking sandals. If you paln to do an excursion requiring closed toed shoes take those. (Behind the Fun tour requires closed toe.)

Go to Lido at off prime times so the wait is not so long. Ask for double meat at the deli on your sandwich.

You can print your charges at a kiosk. Save receipts to compare.

Stay on Cruise Critic and learn stuff. (Just notied cynt said the opposit!) I've been on here for years and learn something new every day. Make sure you go to your roll call.

Edited by crusinpsychRN

Make sure you have the right documents with you. I.e. Getting married and passport/reservation not in the right name. TA can help you. Power strip is good for charging phones and iPads. Clips to hang up swimsuits in the showers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app