What happens if you lose your sail and sign card?

JABrown104

In many states failure to have your drivers license in your possession while driving is an offense. You may have to appear in person with the license within 24 hours to avoid a ticket or go to court with the license to get it dismissed if a ticket was written.

This can be problematic when traveling if you get stopped in a state other than your own. You may have to return to that state to get it cleared up.

Better to let the wife drive than risk it.

Risk what? Having to prove you have one or let her get overly exhausted and have an accident?

They may issue you a 'fix it ticket' but most do not have this requirement.

Risk what? Having to prove you have one or let her get overly exhausted and have an accident?

They may issue you a 'fix it ticket' but most do not have this requirement.

i was thinking the same thing. the only risk you will have is if the officer gives you a ticket $35-50 depending on the state and no points. it is not a major violation as long as you currently have a valid driving license. it is a non moving violation. like getting a ticket for not having a front license plate attached when your state issues 2 tags. you are not going to get points or dragged to see a magistrate. and if you are in a small town that would take you to see a magistrate(haven't heard of this since the 70's-early 80's) it wouldn't matter if you physically have your drivers license on you or not they took all out of state drivers to see a magistrate to make sure you pay your ticket. this occurred before most of the states took up reciprocity with one another.

and i would say 85% of all officers you encounter will either have a computer in their car or a black berry or smart phone that they can put your information in and it will give them all the pertinent drivers license info including your DMV photo.

i was thinking the same thing. the only risk you will have is if the officer gives you a ticket $35-50 depending on the state and no points. it is not a major violation as long as you currently have a valid driving license. it is a non moving violation. like getting a ticket for not having a front license plate attached when your state issues 2 tags. you are not going to get points or dragged to see a magistrate. and if you are in a small town that would take you to see a magistrate(haven't heard of this since the 70's-early 80's) it wouldn't matter if you physically have your drivers license on you or not they took all out of state drivers to see a magistrate to make sure you pay your ticket. this occurred before most of the states took up reciprocity with one another.

and i would say 85% of all officers you encounter will either have a computer in their car or a black berry or smart phone that they can put your information in and it will give them all the pertinent drivers license info including your DMV photo.

Should have mentioned that the few states that will issue a fix it ticket will not even have you pay a fine if you produce the license within 24 hours. But again it is so simple to verify a person's right to drive with today's technology that most officer's are not going to cite you for something that was actually physically lost.

And keep in mind, they had to have pulled you over for something else to start with. :p

Edited by Bookbug53

Last year me and my son (36) took a taxi to town in Cozumel. when we got back he had lost his I phone and S&S card. At the guard gate on the right I guise for the employees, called the ship with our information and only waited about 15 minutes to go through. We reported this lose to Carnival when he got his new S&S card. When we got home we reported this to insurance we had with Carnival and received $491.00 for our loss of phone.

The insurance you took out with Carnival COVERED your son losing his IPHONE WHILE HE WAS IN PORT?

You do realize that it is not illegal to drive without your license physically on your person? As long as you are a legally licensed driver. And debit cards are king. :p

I do normally use a debit card when shopping. However, I found out about the check verification after several months when I wrote a check at the doctor's office. It was embarrassing that my $35.00 check could not be accepted.

I had a friend who was complaining about the cost of an Otter Box to protect her cell phone.

I asked if she really needed one. She said, "But I drop my cell phone at least once a day."

I said, "Why not just make a personal decision to not drop your phone anymore?"

Long story short, since you realize losing your S & S card is not a good thing to do, and its enough of an issue that you have given it forethought, why not just decide not to lose it?

These are all the people who don't use lanyards :D

Unfortunately I have personal experience with this ..... In Cozumel my sail and sign card somehow came off my lanyard. Where - not a clue. I didn't notice it until we were walking back to the pier to go through security to board the ship. They had a master list there, I showed my drivers license and was let back on board in just a few minutes.... I was panicking the entire time.. Upon boarding I headed straight to Guest Services where I got a new card..... Maybe I got lucky....

My 14 yr old son lost his card in Curacao, last year, and it was quite a hassle to get him back onboard. Seriously!

We had decided to just get off the ship and wander over to the floating bridge, so for once I decided to NOT carry our passports off the ship with us. (I ALWAYS take them--ALWAYS!!)

Upon return to the port, my son discovers his card is gone. The port agent was adamant about seeing some ID for him, and despite my explaining that he's only 14, and has no ID, he wouldn't let him through. So, I left my son with the agent (eek!), ran to the ship and retrieved his passport. I got quite the lecture from the agent about carrying ID while in port. And I was so frustrated because that was the first time ever that I hadn't taken our passports off the ship with us.

Lesson learned. UGH.

CeleBrat

Our kids have non-driver IDs for this reason. No way we are taking all our passports off the ship for an excursion. Its far more likely that we will lose them or have them stolen than it is that we will actually need them. Anyway - just an idea for folks - it easy to get the ID and its cheap and waterproof =)