Passport

BeadsLea

Hello. My Mum is British and has a passport that expires in November of 2018. We are going in April of 2018 to the Caribbean, do you think it will cause a problem as the passport will expire about 7 months later? Also I have a passport card but everything I am reading states I should have a passport. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Your mum should be fine. The six month rule is specific countries and she will not fall into that anyway. You should be fine on this closed loop with your card, but if travel in general is in your future I would highly recommend a passport as it works everywhere and is your ultimate ID.

Your passport card will be sufficient for the cruise. You would only need a passport if something happened that caused you to miss the ship or if you had to return home for an emergency. If you don't have a passport there will be a delay until you can obtain assistance from an Embassy/Consulate. Only you can decide if you are comfortable with the slight risk involved. You do have an advantage because the State Department already has you in their system.