Just Booked the Splendida!

Love2Cruz2015

Just booked the Splendida for Spring Break in March!! The attached photo shows itinerary. I got a AFT Fantastica balcony...March will be good touring weather but Splendida does have a covered pool, so who knows, maybe my DD will be able to go in if it's warm. I'm SO excited to go back to my hometown of Palermo, haven't been there in at least 15 years....Any tips for this itinerary or the ship??:D

BTW....easiest way to get from Marseille airport to Cruise port??

U55H.jpg

Edited by Love2Cruz2015

Gosh, L2C, I've been on Splendida 3 times in February and, y'know what, I can't answer that! :o I'm not a pool person so don't take too much notice - I wander thru' and around that area without really taking any of it in. What I do remember is seeing our table waiter having to stand all day in the freezing wind at a stall selling bottles of wine. I felt so sorry for him. He had a blinding headache that night at dinner. Even in Winter/early Spring MSC had the crew setting up tables displaying goods for sale on the pool deck!

I'd imagine the indoor pool would be heated at that time of year for it to be useable - and I'm pretty sure I saw people in around it. They wouldn't have stuck it out had it been cold.

It looks like it's Splendida's last year in the Med. She's spending Winter 2017/2018 in Dubai then she's off to China to join Lirica. So make the most of your time on her L2C!

You say you got an aft balcony - good for you. I've had an aft and loved it. Takes a bit of getting used to, though, as there's a kind of hum and slight vibration from the engines that you don't get in other parts of the ship and you'll certainly feel the shudder as the bow thrusters are engaged when entering ports in the morning ......but it's worth it!

I can't answer re getting to the port from the airport as I've never embarked at Marseilles. I'm sure a search around this site will produce something - don't limit it to this forum.

Be prepared for bad/wet weather in Genoa. You could need a warm windbreaker there! I've done the HOHO and also walked the promenade as far as the aquarium which I enjoy. Though I haven't actually visited the aquarium itself, I believe it's worth a visit.

There's plenty of info on Civitavecchia in other posts and also on the Ports of Call forum. I've done one ship's excursion to Rome so can't comment on DIY-ing it.

For Barcelona, if you want to see La Familia Sagrada, it's recommended you pre-purchase tickets as there are very long queues. While it may be off-season, Barcelona is still a popular city for Europeans to visit then, too!

I've only had Valletta as a port stop once in all my West Med trips and the weather was so bad we didn't bother getting off the ship. We've bad weather here most of the time and really don't want to deal with it when we're on vacation so we stay onboard and enjoy having the ship to ourselves.

Having said that, the Med is just a short flight away for us, unlike your situation, where it's a major trip and you want to see everything while you can. So go buy a Winter coat and ENJOY! :)

Just booked the Splendida for Spring Break in March!! The attached photo shows itinerary. I got a AFT Fantastica balcony...March will be good touring weather but Splendida does have a covered pool, so who knows, maybe my DD will be able to go in if it's warm. I'm SO excited to go back to my hometown of Palermo, haven't been there in at least 15 years....Any tips for this itinerary or the ship??:D

BTW....easiest way to get from Marseille airport to Cruise port??

U55H.jpg

I would say just grab a taxi no matter how much it is and go to port , watch your baggage and your purse in Marseille . :o

I would say just grab a taxi no matter how much it is and go to port , watch your baggage and your purse in Marseille . :o

Good advice. That's pretty much what I had in mind. I'm not lugging all my stuff around town just to save a few bucks, especially since I don't know the language.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L2C, we are cruising the same area. I will get on in Barcelona in April. I too worry that the weather may be a little to cold for me during April. I am from Florida and I hope the weather will not be a problem during our vacation. Good luck, and I will be standing by to read your report once your cruise is completed. :)

Love2Cruz,

Half the people don't even know the indoor pool & hottub are there! Visit it a few times early in the cruise, and you won't have a problem with crowds. Congratulations on your booking. That itinerary is AMAZING! Bring a couple scarfs and a super-cute jacket... then you'll be prepared for any weather forecast.

• 4 weeks later...

I also booked this cruise intending on getting on the ship in Marseille until our flights were changed and we wouldnt get into MRS until 2:00PM. That is cutting it real close so I went ahead and changed the cruise to leave from Genoa. We are renting a van for the 6 of us and driving to Genoa. Not ideal, but we will make it work.

I have tons of questions about this cruise. I just got off of the DIvina 3 weeks ago and loved it. It sounds like they have different rules, packages, shows on this ship. I am hoping there are kids in the kids club that speak english or it might be a long cruise for my kids.

Do you know what time you have to be on board in Marseille? Do you know if tap water is free in the main dining room?

I also booked this cruise intending on getting on the ship in Marseille until our flights were changed and we wouldnt get into MRS until 2:00PM. That is cutting it real close so I went ahead and changed the cruise to leave from Genoa. We are renting a van for the 6 of us and driving to Genoa. Not ideal, but we will make it work.

I have tons of questions about this cruise. I just got off of the DIvina 3 weeks ago and loved it. It sounds like they have different rules, packages, shows on this ship. I am hoping there are kids in the kids club that speak english or it might be a long cruise for my kids.

Do you know what time you have to be on board in Marseille? Do you know if tap water is free in the main dining room?

When I was on the Orchestra in June, Americans got water in the MDR...there is a code on the cruise card that waiters look for.

I am cutting it kinda close too....due to work obligations, I will be flying in the day of the cruise. Our flight gets in to Marseille at 11am...so I think we should be fine, unless there is a flight cancellation or big delay...keeping my fingers crossed.

So I called MSC today and was told that the dining room serves coffee, tea, juice, tap water, and sodas for free at meals. I thought this was odd, you never get soda for free. I asked 3 different times if they were sure about the sodas. I was told that this was indeed the case. I was also told that we got free tap water not bottled water. I just want to know for sure because this will be the deciding factor on whether or not I get the family drink packages. This will be the difference between no package or about $800 for the family.

I was hoping to catch the flight into MRS at 1030AM but we didnt. I am really hoping that they have a schedule change that allows me to change flights for free because I really dont want to drive to Genoa unless I have to.

So I called MSC today and was told that the dining room serves coffee, tea, juice, tap water, and sodas for free at meals. I thought this was odd, you never get soda for free. I asked 3 different times if they were sure about the sodas. I was told that this was indeed the case. I was also told that we got free tap water not bottled water. I just want to know for sure because this will be the deciding factor on whether or not I get the family drink packages. This will be the difference between no package or about $800 for the family.

I was hoping to catch the flight into MRS at 1030AM but we didnt. I am really hoping that they have a schedule change that allows me to change flights for free because I really dont want to drive to Genoa unless I have to.

As Americans, we got bottled water at the MDR. Soda cans were not free.

L2C, we are cruising the same area. I will get on in Barcelona in April. I too worry that the weather may be a little to cold for me during April. I am from Florida and I hope the weather will not be a problem during our vacation. Good luck, and I will be standing by to read your report once your cruise is completed. :)

I'm going to bring layers and have a warm jacket that I will bringing. I think touring wise, the cooler weather will be more comfortable. I am actually looking forward to that. Got a new cashmere scarf and leather gloves too for the occasion...things that will get very minimal use here in South Florida..lol It was only for the sake of my DD that I was asking about the pool. I booked another March cruise for 2018 too as I don't want my new "winter clothing" to go to waste..:o:D

Edited by Love2Cruz2015