Harv and Marv boats

hollon

I should start by saying that we will consider Dolphin in the future although I think it’s a stretch to say that they have a solid reputation. With their whale watch boat sinking this year, as was noted previously, Dolphin also did hire the captain that got the DUI while operating the Orca whale watch boat that Dolphin now uses.

http://www.alaskapublic.org/2014/08/07/juneau-whale-watching-captain-nabbed-for-driving-boat-intoxicated/

I should start by saying that we will consider Dolphin in the future although I think it’s a stretch to say that they have a solid reputation. With their whale watch boat sinking this year, as was noted previously, Dolphin also did hire the captain that got the DUI while operating the Orca whale watch boat that Dolphin now uses.

http://www.alaskapublic.org/2014/08/07/juneau-whale-watching-captain-nabbed-for-driving-boat-intoxicated/

Is that Captain now acting as a Captain? Or a Naturalist? I am curious as they would affect if I go with them again. I would not sail with this individual as a Captain based on his history.

I should have said they had a solid reputation previous to this year.

Edited by Coral

Is that Captain now acting as a Captain? Or a Naturalist? I am curious as they would affect if I go with them again. I would not sail with this individual as a Captain based on his history.

I found a post on Tripadvisor that noted him as captain for Dolphin with another person as naturalist. It was posted July 7, 2016.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g31020-d1812695-r391028534-Dolphin_Jet_Boat_Tours-Juneau_Alaska.html

I found a post on Tripadvisor that noted him as captain for Dolphin with another person as naturalist. It was posted July 7, 2016.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g31020-d1812695-r391028534-Dolphin_Jet_Boat_Tours-Juneau_Alaska.html

I am disappointed. I would not be on his boat for anything and am disappointed in Dolphin letting him drive a boat with his background (there were previous DUI's for driving a car). Surprised the state doesn't have stronger laws but maybe it is different when one is a boat. It shouldn't be. I wouldn't get in a car with a friend with that history.

Looks like Harv and Marv for me. I have heard positive things about Jayleen's Alaska also.

Thank you for finding the link. No one had posted anything I saw this summer on CC in reference to him.

Edited to add that there is another review posted a week ago about a September 2016 visit.

Edited by Coral

What naive thinking- that one company is "OK", because of no history. Every season, there are failures of drug tests on boat cpts in Juneau. It can happen with any company. Just not publicized and handled privately.

You never know what you may encounter in any travel. Pilots, cpts, bus/taxi drivers, etc.

I keep calling Dolphins and emailing and no response - any suggestions? Has anyone cruise Dolphin lately?

I had to wait until March I think before I could book a couple tours. Some tour guides head south to vacation or do seasonal tours elsewhere.