Question to ChatKat (and others) - Oceania vs Crystal

Paulchili

Mike,

I read your review and I am certainly not dismissing it (and it wasn't the only negative review either).

That said, I read some glowing reviews as well - like the one from MightyQuinn whom I only know and "like" from the boards here.

The reality is that I don't know if I am more like you or more like MQ, if you know what I mean.

The bottom line is that I will only know if Crystal is for us or not by trying them :)

Nothing beats first-hand experience. As I stated in an earlier post, each person's experience is unique, even on the same cruise. Positive and negative opinions are just that, impressions of the overall cruise experience gauged against fact (bad food is bad food) and expectations (like the quality of a wine list and service). All a potential cruiser can do is weigh those opinions in their totality as one factor in deciding whether to take a particular cruise or try a new line. Good luck and I hope you get to post one of those glowing reviews.

I have sailed both. I think Crystal is better in shows and activities, the ship feels less crowded and is all inclusive. Oceania is better in cabin size, I have only been on the large ships, in the open sitting dinning, the Terrace Cafe. I prefer Ocesnia's dress code. I think the pool deck with the retractable dome beats Oceania. I think both provide a nice trip.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

That is the sense I am getting. Worth a try for us

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Everyone has to express their own opinion of the cruise experience. Every time we (or anyone sails), what we encounter is a unique experience defined by the service, food, cabin, etc. we encounter. It also depends tremendously on how that unique experience balances against expectations. If expectations (and they have to be reasonable) are consistently met (and, hopefully, occasionally exceeded) then that experience will usually be excellent. If they are consistently not met, and there seems to be a confused, lackluster, or even negative effort, then the experience will probably be subpar. You always hope for the best, but sometimes that subpar experience comes your way. Perhaps it was just our turn to experience it, but we can make 100% sure it does not happen again with Crystal.

I believe your review and that it reflected your experience. I believe you post positive and negative reviews. For me, like Paul , it's the sum total of small the reviews and posts from people whose opinions I have come to trust.

I agree with most of the post. We've done 8 "O" cruises in a row. We enjoy all 8, had a few miss haps - but never the less always had a great time. We like the up suites for the extra service and benefits. We then when with SeaDreams, SilverSeas, all great and different but very good. Now we're booking Regent, we have 2 cruises booked and looking forward to those cruises. I think even with the extra benefits you get by staying with "O" you get bored and start to know whats going to happen next - so going on another line is worth it us even dropping some of the OBC you get. Our TA has made up for that, so it's even better now. Again when you stay in one of the better suites you just get extras away, like dining where you want went you want as many times as you want. I won't lie, we like service, to us that's the most important about cruising-which is why we like sea days. So mix it up and enjoy---we'll be back to "O", but I don't want to give up something new.

Rick

I agree with most of the post. We've done 8 "O" cruises in a row. We enjoy all 8, had a few miss haps - but never the less always had a great time. We like the up suites for the extra service and benefits. We then when with SeaDreams, SilverSeas, all great and different but very good. Now we're booking Regent, we have 2 cruises booked and looking forward to those cruises. I think even with the extra benefits you get by staying with "O" you get bored and start to know whats going to happen next - so going on another line is worth it us even dropping some of the OBC you get. Our TA has made up for that, so it's even better now. Again when you stay in one of the better suites you just get extras away, like dining where you want went you want as many times as you want. I won't lie, we like service, to us that's the most important about cruising-which is why we like sea days. So mix it up and enjoy---we'll be back to "O", but I don't want to give up something new.

Rick

I so agree. I think it is boring to cruise just one line. That's why we will probably never get that free cruise on o. We could have had it already had we not tried other lines. We are looking forward to Seabourn, Crystal, the suite life on celebrity and a Tauck river cruise along with 3 more o cruises. We like mixing it up