Sushi on Five

woody14h

We also eat a lot of sushi, so we know good sushi. We tried Sushi on 5 on the Eclipse in November and it was really really bad. Prices are similar to a sushi place in SoCal maybe a bit less. The menu is pretty limited and most of the rolls are unimaginative. But the real problem was the quality. The rolls were pressed ridiculously tight and the sashimi was watery and gross. Honestly the buffet sushi was lame, but I'd take it over what I was served on 5!

Just off of the Reflection and I thought Sushi on Five was an outstanding venue. The service was great, the food quality & presentation were excellent; the sake was also very good and reasonably priced (it was included in premium beverage package).

After a few mid-afternoon visits, I was offered a very nice off-menu complimentary plate that was as good as anything I have ever had in any sushi restaurant. I was very pleased and felt the charge was very reasonable; for me, it turned out to be an exceptional value.

I tried the sunset roll on Silhouette last week, and the salmon had a very strange mushy texture. The maki was rolled nicely though, and cut into manageable bite-sized pieces. The ramen was great. The sake selection is very good, and the premium drinks package gets you 20% off per bottle.

Other threads have said:

SO5 is not included on the new Specialty Dining Packages. The package where you choose the number of nights.

The Ultmate Dining Package has been discontinued in favor of the new package.

Anybody confirm this?

I had lunch at Sushi on 5 on Summit a few weeks ago as well as mid afternoon snacks 2-3 additional times. The venue was fairly new to Summit; the appetizers were far more limited than what is listed on the menu on Celebrity's website (i.e. no ramen, sliders, dumplings etc.). Not sure if the M-Class ships do not have a sufficient galley for the full menu, or if it was because the venue was so new to Summit.

Service was quite friendly. I found the rolls to be a significant step up from the "free" sushi of yesterday in the buffet. Nothing outstanding, but solid with decent rice, good proportions, texture and flavor. The sashimi however I found to be barely edible (especially the salmon roe which was inedible); the fish they were serving was definitely not of sufficient quality to be enjoyable on it's own merit but fine when overpowered by the various competing flavors within the rolls. They were open to making modifications (i.e. was able to order a hand-roll even though it was not on the menu and choose my ingredients). Eel, avocado and tobiko was my favorite combination for this (oddly despite the salmon roe being of such poor quality, the tobiko - flying fish roe - was excellent). We tried most of the rolls and the Green Roof Tuna and the Eel Dragon both of us felt were by far the best with the Shrimp Tempura roll coming in third place.

They only had a very limited selection of sake available and unfortunately much of what they had was not fresh; unlike wine sake needs to be consumed within several months of bottling or the flavor changes for the negative. The bottling date on some of the sakes they were serving was 1.5 years old.

One thing I found surprising was there was no bar stool seating at the sushi counter. When my wife and I dine at land based sushi restaurants our favorite place to sit is at the sushi bar where we can see the fish, watch the chef in action and interact with them some. Hopefully they add this at some point.

On a sushi related note, one day I ordered the upcharge room service item of smoked salmon omelette with Osetra caviar. The "caviar" was orange in color (Ostetra is a very expensive, delicious true Caviar that is dark colored). Not only was the salmon so salty it was inedible, but it was shocking they were trying to pass cheap roe that costs about 1/100th of Osetra as Caviar. Fortunately the charge was quickly removed, but was disappointing. Don't label something an expensive, luxury ingredient (especially if their is an upcharge) and then serve a cheap imitation.

Edited by Gonzo70

We also eat a lot of sushi, so we know good sushi. We tried Sushi on 5 on the Eclipse in November and it was really really bad. Prices are similar to a sushi place in SoCal maybe a bit less. The menu is pretty limited and most of the rolls are unimaginative. But the real problem was the quality. The rolls were pressed ridiculously tight and the sashimi was watery and gross. Honestly the buffet sushi was lame, but I'd take it over what I was served on 5!

We really enjoyed our experience on the Reflection and I hope the quality does not vary significantly from ship to ship since the Eclipse is next for us.

Other threads have said:

SO5 is not included on the new Specialty Dining Packages. The package where you choose the number of nights.

The Ultmate Dining Package has been discontinued in favor of the new package.

Anybody confirm this?

I found my answers on another thread. The UDP is gone

SO5 is not ncluded on Specialty Dining Pacakges. Some have gotten offers of discounts or all you care to eat.

I'll miss the UDP, RIP!