Boo. Only 2 formal nights on a 10 night voyage.

Pushka

OK, I'll bite. Assuming you're being serious rather than joking, this really is such a hackneyed argument, and simply doesn't stack up. A few years ago we sailed from Vancouver to Alaska, which involved flights from Heathrow and a change of flights in Seattle on the way back. I took a tux, my wife took her formal dresses, and we managed perfectly well with a check-in case and a carry-on each, and that included all the different kinds of clothes you need for Alaska. And when we go to Sydney and New Zealand on QM2 in Feb 2018, we will again be flying from London, and again taking formalwear. It's not about luggage or flying, it's about a mindset.

Thank you Wordzz, BlueRiband, Pepperrn and others for posting the common sense comments that I have been thinking for years.

We had to give up overseas travel for several years and when we were ready to resume this in 2008 (the imminent retirement of our beloved QE2 gave us the encouragement:)) we bought new formal wear. I bought a light-weight tuxedo and Alison bought two fairly simple long dresses - not ball gowns - and a cocktail dress. We have been able to travel with just one modest-sized case each and a small amount of "carry on" luggage. I always wear a blazer/sport coat for the reasons that Lakesregion mentioned.

Like most men I hate the strangled feeling of a tight shirt and tie so I buy shirts that are at least a half-size bigger than I need. I am pleased that a significant majority of men wear a tie on the informal nights. When someone makes a comment to me about wearing a tie when not required I always respond - in as un-snooty manner as I can - "I have never gone to dinner on a Cunard ship without a jacket and tie and I don't intend to start now."

We are disappointed to see that on our upcoming seven-night cruise on the QM2 there are only two formal nights. I guess this is the new normal for cruises. Three years ago we had a one-week Norway cruise on the QE and there were three formal nights.

Edited by david,Mississauga

You don't appear to be very strangled in your photo NSWP.

Quite the opposite; you look comfortable, relaxed and happy :)

Thank you I am a happy little vegemite, that pic of me is me dressed in my 'formal gear' for Princes Cruises, Blazer, shirt, tie, grey trousers and oxford brogues. (No flip flops !!) I trust that outfit will be acceptable for NON Formal nights on QM2?

I do have a dinner suit (tuxedo) for the formals, I purchased it this week at 'Lowes,' The Aussies reading this would know Lowes. I am a Colonial with a little bit of class. lol.

PS, love your photo albums of the Cunarders.

Edited by NSWP

What is Lowes? This freely settled state has never heard of it. (Nor 24 hour electricity supply either it seems!)

LOWES is a low cost - decent quality clothes store, all over NSW/Qld, thought SA would have them, They stock, shirts, undies, socks, school wear, winter gear, summer gear, work wear They got it all just like McDonalds !!

They also have on line sales, no worries, so you can order up your cruise clobber, their Tropical shirts are nice for cruises.

http://www.lowes.com.au

Sad about your electricity supply, SA Govt should not have built those 22 towers that blew over in the 'breeze' from ye olde Meccano sets !! Tougher steel next time.

Edited by NSWP

Hi again NSWP,

Thank you I am a happy little vegemite, that pic of me is me dressed in my 'formal gear' for Princes Cruises, Blazer, shirt, tie, grey trousers and oxford brogues. (No flip flops !!) I trust that outfit will be acceptable for NON Formal nights on QM2?
But of course :)
I do have a dinner suit (tuxedo) for the formals, I purchased it this week at 'Lowes,' The Aussies reading this would know Lowes. I am a Colonial with a little bit of class. lol. PS, love your photo albums of the Cunarders.
Thank you NSWP, very good of you to say so :) . I'll be bringing the photos of QM2 up to date in approx 50 days, can't wait.

What is Lowes? This freely settled state has never heard of it. (Nor 24 hour electricity supply either it seems!)

For school students in public primary schools it's a place to buy uniforms. They also sell adult male clothing. Years ago they used to get ageing football legends to advertise their wares on television.

According to Google, Lowes has quite the presence in SA. Perhaps you're having trouble seeing their red and blue fluorescent signs given the state has no electricity :) (hope its back on)

Lowes - 2 stores in SA. Elizabeth (up north - have never been there) and Edwardstown. The latter being closer but not on my shopping area. Interesting. Have not heard them advertise on the media though but the signs look familiar.

We have a Lowes here in the states, They sell lumber and other building supplies.

Indeed they do, different companies. I love your Walmart, we don't have them. K Mart yes.

Anyway might say I am learning quite a deal about Cunard and QM2 by being on the Cunard section of the mighty Cruise Critic. Looking forwad to QM2 on March 2, Sydney-HK. First we have to get through Island Princess - Panama Canal next month and pre cruise some time chillaxing in California.

Edited by NSWP