Do you always get the travel insurance when booking?

(the money has already been spent after all).

Very true, but if you can get it back in order to book another trip would that be a bad thing? I believe the last time that I looked the comprehensive policy was something like $30 more than the medevac/medical coverage only so I figured it was worth it.

Very true, but if you can get it back in order to book another trip would that be a bad thing? I believe the last time that I looked the comprehensive policy was something like $30 more than the medevac/medical coverage only so I figured it was worth it.

Agreed. For the price difference it is worth it in my opinion...especially after having had to use it for a death in the family the day before a cruise. It made it so much easier to head home and mourn knowing we could use our insurance money to reschedule our vacation for another time.

Each time I have priced out full travel insurance it's been 3 - 4 times what I have paid for the medical insurance.

Even if trip insurance is only $150 more per cruise, on my 32 cruises that would be nearly $5k I would have spent in unused insurance at this time.

At any rate it's all about being comfortable with the risk you are taking, which I am.

Each time I have priced out full travel insurance it's been 3 - 4 times what I have paid for the medical insurance.

Even if trip insurance is only $150 more per cruise, on my 32 cruises that would be nearly $5k I would have spent in unused insurance at this time.

At any rate it's all about being comfortable with the risk you are taking, which I am.

I doubt that I would insure the cost of the trip if it were that much more.

I doubt that I would insure the cost of the trip if it were that much more.

Just for giggles, I went to insuremytrip.com and the difference between my evac insurance and the cheapest plan to cover my trip is an additional $157.36.

Again, not advocating that there is any "right" way, but for myself, I will always buy the evac insurance as it is cheap and not having it could be catastrophic.

Just for giggles, I went to insuremytrip.com and the difference between my evac insurance and the cheapest plan to cover my trip is an additional $157.36.

Again, not advocating that there is any "right" way, but for myself, I will always buy the evac insurance as it is cheap and not having it could be catastrophic.

I don't disagree because it the cost to cover everything was $157 more I'd opt for the medical/medevac only coverage.

I just did insure my trip quotes for my cruise next year. Single use evacuation insurance was $2 less than the Comprehensive Insurance I normally pick up, and have used due to a death in the family, which includes trip cancellation, medical, and evacuation. Since I have already been reimbursed more than I have spent in the 11 cruises I have purchased it, I'd say it it is worth the additional investment for us.

My mom had to cancel last year when the week before the cruise my 40 year old sister came down with a serious infection that required weeks of recuperation at home. Mom was the only one capable of providing the care she needed, so she couldn't leave on the trip.

NCL insurance covered every penny (except the price of the insurance itself!) so instead of taking an 8 grand bath (because she would have felt obligated to reimburse her travel companion who didn't want to go alone), they both got their money back, she was able to deal with the family medical crisis, and cruised this year instead. Cost? <$200 each (she did reimburse her friend for her insurance cost)

It's wise to think of elderly parents when purchasing cancellation insurance, but keep in mind that accidents and illness can happen to anyone, and if you'd be the fallback person to provide care, or childcare, etc... you might not be able to make that trip.

Something to consider... Many credit cards already include some form of trip insurance. It's not going to cover illness while on the trip, but it usually does cover trip cancellation.

For years I have been buying full insurance packages until one day I looked closer at my Chase United Airline card. We get everything a full travel insurance package provides except for evacuation. I bought a separate line item evacuation package for $138.