How are they going to fill the ships?

Some interesting stuff about wealth in the news lately. Apparently 30 somethings are only half as wealthy as 40 somethings were at the same age. Sixteen million people in the UK have less than £100 savings and also relevant is only the older generation are increasing their spending on holidays

When we have all gone how are they going to fill the ships :confused:

Some interesting stuff about wealth in the news lately. Apparently 30 somethings are only half as wealthy as 40 somethings were at the same age. Sixteen million people in the UK have less than £100 savings and also relevant is only the older generation are increasing their spending on holidays

When we have all gone how are they going to fill the ships :confused:

Given these figures cruises this far in the future will be priced down for the market. In the above example a cruise will be about £100 and be a shorter type of voyage. I understand that there will be a massive potential market of sixteen million future cruisers.

Regards John

Interesting question.

I don't know how many young people will want to cruise anyway. The younger generation don't seem to like the same "set piece" holidays that my generation do.

When I was young (many, many years ago!) part of the attraction of a cruise was a package that included the flight, good food, the chance to dress up, entertainment and travelling to somewhere new and interesting each day. In spite of some of the "Butlins at Sea" comments you see in reviews I also enjoy the element of joining in which some of the activities provide.

Unless the cruise market continues to adapt they may not attract younger passengers, most of the people I see on a cruise ships are generally my age or older.

Young people don't have an easy time of it, not only will they have less financially but employers are also cutting back on holidays.

Never mind, we are all living longer so we can fill the ships for longer:):)

Interesting question.

Never mind, we are all living longer so we can fill the ships for longer:):)

Never mind ships,,,cos we are all living longer we'll be clogging up the nursing homes! Millions of seasoned intrepid old cruisers trapped in land- locked old folks's homes staring wistfully out of the windows recalling their glory days sailing the seas,,,,while cruise ships languish quiet and empty in backwater ports groaning with sadness,,,can anybody see a future gap in the market here?? :D

Never mind ships,,,cos we are all living longer we'll be clogging up the nursing homes! Millions of seasoned intrepid old cruisers trapped in land- locked old folks's homes staring wistfully out of the windows recalling their glory days sailing the seas,,,,while cruise ships languish quiet and empty in backwater ports groaning with sadness,,,can anybody see a future gap in the market here?? :D

Thought Saga had already jumped in to that market, the only cruise ships with onboard crematoriums, would just need a few new residents shipping out each week.

We are early 30s and have been cruising for the last 4 years, up to twice a year (not once this year, but looking at December on the Dream).

We don't have fancy cars or spa breaks or weekends away or designer clothes like our same-aged friends, and I never have my hair dyed, nails done, or sharpie-pen style eyebrows drawn on like most of my peers. We aren't miserly and we aren't loaded, just average waged and we do eat out a lot and have treats like the cinema, but we aren't really big drinkers and all our food comes from Lidl. We don't put things on credit cards and we haven't had hand-outs from our parents: we just choose to cut back on other things so we can have a nice holiday once or twice a year.

Besides, our friends paid £2000 for 10 days in a (dreadful) 3* AI hotel in Spain the other day. We are looking (holiday leave from work permitting) at a week on the Dream, and a week in Jaimaica, with the drinks package on the ship and AI in the 4* hotel for about £2500. I just sometimes think some "younger" people are just a bit more narrow-minded when it comes to holidays!

We are early 30s and have been cruising for the last 4 years, up to twice a year (not once this year, but looking at December on the Dream).

We don't have fancy cars or spa breaks or weekends away or designer clothes like our same-aged friends, and I never have my hair dyed, nails done, or sharpie-pen style eyebrows drawn on like most of my peers. We aren't miserly and we aren't loaded, just average waged and we do eat out a lot and have treats like the cinema, but we aren't really big drinkers and all our food comes from Lidl. We don't put things on credit cards and we haven't had hand-outs from our parents: we just choose to cut back on other things so we can have a nice holiday once or twice a year.

Besides, our friends paid £2000 for 10 days in a (dreadful) 3* AI hotel in Spain the other day. We are looking (holiday leave from work permitting) at a week on the Dream, and a week in Jaimaica, with the drinks package on the ship and AI in the 4* hotel for about £2500. I just sometimes think some "younger" people are just a bit more narrow-minded when it comes to holidays!

I know where you are coming from to an extend. It always amuses me when younger staff never feel they have any money for a holiday but get hair, nails, brows etc done on a regular basis. I nearly choked when I found out what a "colourist" charges for hair dye, that alone would pay for a cruise once a year.

Glad you enjoy your cruises Cloudyrain, imo a much more sensible way to spend money:)

Cloudyrain - I am a fellow 30 something and have been on a few cruises now. My husband and I had our honeymoon on a cruise and he says he will never do another land holiday ever again. On our recent cruise we seen a lot more younger people than on our previous cruises so I think it is becoming more of a thing for the younger generation like ourselves. We certainly enjoy it and it is good to wake up in a different port every day and see a bit more of the world as opposed to going to the same place for a week! Happy cruising x

Lucie - ditto with the first cruise being our honeymoon and saying we will never do a land based holiday again :D We did do a week in Spain this year (holiday leave and cruises didn't work out right) but we really didn't enjoy it even half as much as a cruise. We have only been on one ship where we really felt out of place (P&O) but every other time we have found a really good mix of ages. Having said that we do often say if the P&O cruise had been our first, it may well have been our last!

• 3 weeks later...

I've read about some elderly American women who actually live on a cruise ship all the year round as it works out a lot cheaper than going into a residential care home. They get all their meals, their rooms cleaned and as much entertainment as they want. They also meet new people each week and get to visit lots of new places. OK as long as you are well!