The MAIN reasons we (mostly) avoid Carnival

Tom-n-Cheryl

We do not book suites so I truly do not know the answer to this. Are suites on Carnival comparable in price to suites on these other lines that offer additional suite perks? My guess is "no". If that is correct, I see no compelling financial reason for Carnival to change. If their suites are selling at the current rates and without perks outside of the size of the rooms, than why change? If the perks are important, go on a line that has them and pay a bit more for them.

From my standpoint, Carnival was at its peak with the Spirit class of ships - aft corner suites with huge balconies and a two story Supper Club! Oh yes, the Supper Clubs - with their live music!

Tom

Carnival at that time was a single cruise line. They now are one line of a much larger company, and play a certain roll with in that company. You are correct about the differences, but they are planned and executed differences. Carnival Cruise Line is positioned as an entry level product, to bring new people into cruising, and offer a low cost option. If Carnival ships offered the perks and experiences people often mention, than what would Princess, Holland America, and Cunard have to look like to create product difference. The company is building brands.

You are certainly being fair in your observations, and your decision to cruise other lines. I am sure if these points were raised to Carnival, they would encourage you to find a cruise line that meets your needs.

Maybe you guys should go all inclusive instead

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This. We do both. I have been in suites on Carnival and Royal. Neither of those experiences compare to All Inclusive's. Of course we pay more when we do all inclusive resorts. In fact my wife made the decision that we no longer get suites on cruise lines, she doesn't feel it is worth the extra money.

We do not book suites so I truly do not know the answer to this. Are suites on Carnival comparable in price to suites on these other lines that offer additional suite perks? My guess is "no". If that is correct, I see no compelling financial reason for Carnival to change. If their suites are selling at the current rates and without perks outside of the size of the rooms, than why change? If the perks are important, go on a line that has them and pay a bit more for them.

I searched a random date next month for the Celebrity Reflection (their newest ship) sailing on a 7-night eastern route from Miami.

Here's what came up for a suite -- and not a bad deal given what it includes (the listed perks) as well as having a butler, a dedicated suite restaurant (Luminae), and Michael's Club access - with nightly snacks and open bar...

i-MFmMKQP-L.jpg

Tom

Rather than trying to make Carnival be all things to all people, it would serve customers well to make the loyalty program valid across their brands.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This has always confused me. It seems like this would be such a strong positive thing for them to do. I wonder if it is something simple and technical, like the reservation systems are so different they can't build the cross tracking necessary.

You are certainly being fair in your observations, and your decision to cruise other lines. I am sure if these points were raised to Carnival, they would encourage you to find a cruise line that meets your needs.

As it stands now, it won't be under their umbrella unfortunately. Even HAL and Princess are not up to speed with suite perks. Perhaps it's just a Carnival (corp) thing!

Tom

I searched a random date next month for the Celebrity Reflection (their newest ship) sailing on a 7-night eastern route from Miami.

Here's what came up for a suite -- and not a bad deal given what it includes (the listed perks) as well as having a butler, a dedicated suite restaurant (Luminae), and Michael's Club access - with nightly snacks and open bar...

i-MFmMKQP-L.jpg

Tom

I was like, wow, until I saw the price is PER PERSON...lol.

Unless we hit the lotto, we will be sailing with Carnival for a hot minute or 2

This has always confused me. It seems like this would be such a strong positive thing for them to do. I wonder if it is something simple and technical, like the reservation systems are so different they can't build the cross tracking necessary.

Yep - I've pointed that out for years as well. Very little incentive to stay within the parent company.

Since I was Elite with Celebrity (at the time), the next sailing I went on with Royal was automatically as a Diamond guest.

Tom

As it stands now, it won't be under their umbrella unfortunately. Even HAL and Princess are not up to speed with suite perks. Perhaps it's just a Carnival (corp) thing!

Tom

Can't and wouldn't argue the point. I haven't been on either HAL or Princess. Does seem odd that one of those two lines wouldn't be expanding Suite Service to the new standards. I get holding Carnival out of that, but not Princess or HAL.

I was like, wow, until I saw the price is PER PERSON...lol.

Unless we hit the lotto, we will be sailing with Carnival for a hot minute or 2

You might want to buy a couple of extra lotto tickets. Here's what their higher level suites run for that sailing:

i-8Mx6TRx-L.jpg

No doubt they'll fill most of them.

Tom

i-MFmMKQP-L.jpg

Tom

Tried to convince my wife (the boss) that we should try a suite again, but she is now locked into balcony, and says "If I was going to spend that, for a little more we can go to an All Inclusive". Not the hill I am going to die on.

Another post I would agree with completely. Gave PRINCESS a try a few years ago and was overjoyed with everything. Maybe I'm NOW cruising the wrong line :confused: It would seem if Carnival did this they would "capture" so many cruisers who are "carnivaled out" and looking elsewhere at times.:)

This is a great reason for why Carnival should NOT. Princess. HAL. Cunard. and Seabourn are a few of the other Carnival brands for "carnivaled out" cruisers to try.

Why do some want Carnival, but with other cruise line benefits? What are the other cruise lines lacking? Why not try to get them to be more like Carnival instead of the other way around?

You might want to buy a couple of extra lotto tickets. Here's what their higher level suites run for that sailing:

i-8Mx6TRx-L.jpg

No doubt they'll fill most of them.

Tom

Are the prices per person? Cause if so *falls out chair*.

Yup, we'd need to hit the lotto...lol.

We may have achieved Diamond status on Carnival, but our frequency of Carnival cruising has drastically plunged over the last few years.

It comes down to:

> Lack of suite perks compared to other lines

> Lack of hot room service breakfast

-----------------------

It's that simple. If we're going to spend a few grand on a cabin, then I expect to get something for my vacation dollar.

No full breakfast room service - come on Carnival, get with the program. I think you're the SOLE mainstream line out there who doesn't provide this simple service.

Suite perks - A bidet, a tub? I have no used for such things. How about a (any of these would be nice) suite lounge, a suite restaurant, drink or internet packages...

-----------------------

I so want to put Carnival back on our "fully approved" list of cruising options, but they're not making any effort towards that end. Granted, having a coffee maker in suites (Vista or similar??) is a token step, but how many years did that take?

You've got some great attributes - the Steakhouse, Ji Ji's, Guy's Burger Joint, etc. Obviously you're doing plenty "right", as you're very successful, but you lack just a couple of things which prevent you from being a contender - w/regard to those who enjoy a little more in the way of amenities.

Tom

Come on over to Princess, here's what you get for booking a suite:

Suite Services & Amenities

• VIP PRIORITY

• Priority Embarkation & Disembarkation at the beginning and end of your cruise
  • Priority Disembarkation at tender ports
  • Priority Onboard Shore Excursion Reservations
  • Priority Specialty Dining Reservations

EXCLUSIVE

• Exclusive Club Class Dining in the Main Dining Room for dinner each night, plus breakfast and lunch on sea days†
  • Elite Lounge with complimentary hors d’oeuvres on select ships^
  • Exclusive Disembarkation Lounge

ADDITIONAL BENEFITS

• The Princess Luxury Bed†
  • Pillow Menu
  • Luxurious Jacquard-woven Cotton Linens†
  • Upgraded Terry Shawl Bathrobes & Slippers
  • Upgraded Bathroom Amenities including bath salts and soothing gel eye mask
  • Upgraded Shower & Showerhead
  • Upgraded Room Service Menu with full breakfast, lunch and dinner offerings
  • Balcony with Upgraded Patio Furniture (two comfortable loungers, a table and two chairs)
  • Upgraded Turn Down Service

COMPLIMENTARY

• Private Portrait Sitting with Onboard Photographer
  • Same-day Laundry and Professional Cleaning Services
  • Shoe Polishing Services
  • Specialty Dining Mimosa Breakfast (Daily)**
  • Specialty Dining Dinner on embarkation evening
  • Lotus Spa® Thermal Suite Access on select ships††
  • Mini-Bar set-up on embarkation day
  • Premium Evening Canapés upon request
  • Chef’s “Welcome Goodies” on embarkation day
  • In-Suite Afternoon Tea Service
  • Fresh Orchids
  • Exotic Fruit Bowl on embarkation day, refreshed upon request
  • Ice Service twice daily
  • Umbrellas
  • Premium Stationery and Pens

^ Not included on Sun Princess, Sea Princess or Dawn Princess

** Served In-Suite on Sun Princess, Sea Princess and Dawn Princess

† On ships where Club Class Mini-Suite benefits have rolled out

†† Not available on Royal Princess, Regal Princess, Majestic Princess, Golden Princess, Grand Princess, Pacific Princess, Dawn Princess, Sun Princess or Sea Princess

Club Class Mini-Suite benefits will debut on board Ruby Princess (Dec 10, 2016) and Emerald Princess (Dec 12,

----------------------

They use to have free internet but that was discontinued a while back.

Are the prices per person? Cause if so *falls out chair*.

Yup, we'd need to hit the lotto...lol.

Well at least they label it "Special Offer". $20,000 that is special. I wonder how long a cruise these fares represent?

A lot of those "perks" aren't really important. Like cmon a pillow menu? Really? Fresh flowers? Shoe polishing? don't know about some people but that does not make or break a vacation. I've been to some of the best all inclusives and some people still complain. Always wanting more for free if they can get it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It's not quite that cut and dry. With the Grand Suites and Captain's Suites on Carnival often going for $4-7K/week, there are plenty of suites on other lines where that kind of investment will return all sorts of perks.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Try CUNARD

Though depending on what you desire in Queens Grill class, and length of cruise, you might spend that $4k-7k PER DAY!

I really think you need to branch out, and try other lines, as your expectations are unrealistic for Carnival.

Seriously, no kidding, and no empathy from me. I wouldn't spend $4-7K for a week on Carnival if my life depended on it.

You have made yourself a big fish in a small pond. Get with the program and move on!

Don't you receive some of these services with Carnival, especially at certain level?

VIP PRIORITY

Priority Embarkation & Disembarkation at the beginning and end of your cruise

Priority Disembarkation at tender ports

Priority Onboard Shore Excursion Reservations

Priority Specialty Dining Reservations

On the last 2 cruises I've taken getting on and off were a breeze if I remember correctly.

I paid for our excursions on Carnivals website and when I found the price on one cheaper someplace else, I submitted the form and Carnival set up the difference as an onboard credit.

Priority dining isnt a must for us nor the rest of the items on the list. I guess different strokes, for different folks.

We may have achieved Diamond status on Carnival, but our frequency of Carnival cruising has drastically plunged over the last few years.

It comes down to:

> Lack of suite perks compared to other lines

> Lack of hot room service breakfast

-----------------------

It's that simple. If we're going to spend a few grand on a cabin, then I expect to get something for my vacation dollar.

No full breakfast room service - come on Carnival, get with the program. I think you're the SOLE mainstream line out there who doesn't provide this simple service.

Suite perks - A bidet, a tub? I have no used for such things. How about a (any of these would be nice) suite lounge, a suite restaurant, drink or internet packages...

-----------------------

I so want to put Carnival back on our "fully approved" list of cruising options, but they're not making any effort towards that end. Granted, having a coffee maker in suites (Vista or similar??) is a token step, but how many years did that take?

You've got some great attributes - the Steakhouse, Ji Ji's, Guy's Burger Joint, etc. Obviously you're doing plenty "right", as you're very successful, but you lack just a couple of things which prevent you from being a contender - w/regard to those who enjoy a little more in the way of amenities.

Tom

For the price difference on other lines, you are welcome to take me on your cruise and I will bring a hot breakfast to your room. You won't even have to tip me!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have sailed on most of the mainstream lines and I owe no loyalty to any of them. I pick a cabin based on what is important to me as far as accommodations only and not based on what other perks might be available. For example, I prefer a balcony so that is usually my cabin of choice. If the price is right and I can afford it, I will get a cabin with a bathtub so I can soak and relax. I do not expect anything else from the cruise line. Who cares if you are the first one on the ship or not. And what is upgraded turn down service? Will I notice if I don't have it.

I prefer a cruise line that treats all passengers equally, regardless of what cabin they are in. I am paying for the room not the perks.