Friction. Tension. Disruption. Why?

Loreni

So let's compare apples and apples. Look at the Oceana brochure and compare that with a 10 night Caribbean on X. Concierge C2 cabin on X in Dec. on eclipse b4 the last minute price drops to be fair. Cabin chosen by passenger. Cruise fare $1399. with taxes and fees costs for 2 $3021. Additionally cruiser received Classic beverage package (which includes alcohol), prepaid gratuities and $600 onboard credit. Airfare for two passengers paid by them roundtrip for two, another $600 out of pocket. If they choose unlimited wifi, they can book it onboard using the onboard credit or preboarding for $282 less their CC discount 25% either way. Seems like what you're paying for is a lot of extra profit for Oceana. The fares look a lot higher to me on Oceana. They are "giving you" nothing, you are paying for the air, wifi, not getting alcohol, paying more for alcohol if you want it and paying for the "free" shore excursions. I guess what it comes down to for us is X gives us a nice experience for a cost that's acceptable. And although there might be things we'd change, we come home well fed, well pampered, rested and happy.

What you are missing is the intangible value of the difference in the experiences. To some it's worth a lot, to others not so much. Oceania is definitely not for everyone. I like Oceania and Celebrity both, I would recommend them both but for different reasons.

I've been on over 10 cruises on both lines so have pretty good familiarity with them.

What you are missing is the intangible value of the difference in the experiences. To some it's worth a lot, to others not so much. Oceania is definitely not for everyone. I like Oceania and Celebrity both, I would recommend them both but for different reasons.

I've been on over 10 cruises on both lines so have pretty good familiarity with them.

You are absolutely right. I was responding to a post that was trying to say that the costs were similar. Travel is full of choices. My point was try to look at the positives and enjoy where you are and have fun. Maybe try something different the next time. But when you spend time aboard complaining that something else is better you are robbing yourself of a good time. Different lines offer different options and pricing, but the many that I've tried all offer a fun, relaxing vacation. (yes, we have had mishaps, but we try not to let it spoil our vacation) Make your choice, shop for the best price/perks etc., then enjoy your travels and stop complaining. You're lucky to be where you are, then, when the trip is over, start planning your next. It's just a more positive way (and IMHO a happier way) to go through life.

My wife and I first sailed on Celebrity in 1990 during essentially their inaugural year with the Horizon. Celebrity was sailing her and the refitted Meridian. The ship was HUGE by 1990 standards.at 46,00 tons. Food service was by a company named Apollo and was outrageous. The ship was intimate with smaller cabins around 172 sq. ft. The wonderful food and service continued through our sailing on the Galaxy in 2000. Although they merged with Royal Caribbean in 1997, Apollo still ran the food service until around 2000. After Celebrity merged with Royal Caribbean and a lot of things changed, some things that were good and some not so good. The main change we noted was that the quality of the food went down, not bad but not as good as when Celebrity and Apollo controlled it. The good that came about was improved entertainment and lots of beautiful new ships.

We left Celebrity for a while because we had small kids and their itineraries didn't suit our family. We returned for the Silhouette and sailed the inaugural. The ship was beautiful and entertainment top notch. Food was good. We continued to sail Celebrity as well as many other lines since. Celebrity has a good product, IMHO better than Princess where the public areas are too crowded and the entertainment venues can't fit the demand. I have never heard blaring music but we did find the music upbeat and contributed to the mood of the cruise. It was never intrusive.

I, too, am a glass half full guy and find the positives far outweigh the negatives. We have sailed Oceania and enjoyed it as we enjoyed Carnival as well. If you let something get under your skin it can ruin the whole experience. The key is to not allow that to happen. I don't find that to be difficult to do. The diversity that has come about is a good thing.

My wife and I first sailed on Celebrity in 1990 during essentially their inaugural year with the Horizon. Celebrity was sailing her and the refitted Meridian. The ship was HUGE by 1990 standards.at 46,00 tons. Food service was by a company named Apollo and was outrageous. The ship was intimate with smaller cabins around 172 sq. ft. The wonderful food and service continued through our sailing on the Galaxy in 2000. Although they merged with Royal Caribbean in 1997, Apollo still ran the food service until around 2000. After Celebrity merged with Royal Caribbean and a lot of things changed, some things that were good and some not so good. The main change we noted was that the quality of the food went down, not bad but not as good as when Celebrity and Apollo controlled it. The good that came about was improved entertainment and lots of beautiful new ships.

We left Celebrity for a while because we had small kids and their itineraries didn't suit our family. We returned for the Silhouette and sailed the inaugural. The ship was beautiful and entertainment top notch. Food was good. We continued to sail Celebrity as well as many other lines since. Celebrity has a good product, IMHO better than Princess where the public areas are too crowded and the entertainment venues can't fit the demand. I have never heard blaring music but we did find the music upbeat and contributed to the mood of the cruise. It was never intrusive.

I, too, am a glass half full guy and find the positives far outweigh the negatives. We have sailed Oceania and enjoyed it as we enjoyed Carnival as well. If you let something get under your skin it can ruin the whole experience. The key is to not allow that to happen. I don't find that to be difficult to do. The diversity that has come about is a good thing.

Well said!

Do you remember this compaign from 10 years ago - "Starring you"?

Celebrity Cruises says, with style and sophistication, it strives to make every one of its guests feel famous for the duration of their cruise. This is a goal that is central to the line's new TV, print and online advertising campaign. Every time I watched it - want me to go on the cruise.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/celebrity-cruises-launches-new-ad-campaign-starring-you-

I think the OP just wants to speculate without ever booking a Celebrity cruise.

I think they should try HAL. ;)

Couldn't agree more! Based upon their other posts they already have their mind made up.