Aruba beaches

zeenichka

Greetings,

We're booked on the Island Princess cruise of Panama Canal, November 1st. One of the first ports is Aruba and we were interested in just going to the beach and perhaps doing some snorkeling.

Any recommendations on a beach that may have snorkeling gear for rent? I am assuming there are taxis by the port that we can hire to take us?

The excursions offered on Princess did not interest us.

Thank you for your time,

Zina

Greetings,

We're booked on the Island Princess cruise of Panama Canal, November 1st. One of the first ports is Aruba and we were interested in just going to the beach and perhaps doing some snorkeling.

Any recommendations on a beach that may have snorkeling gear for rent? I am assuming there are taxis by the port that we can hire to take us?

The excursions offered on Princess did not interest us.

Thank you for your time,

Zina

If you are looking for generic advice about a port instead of Princess-specific advice, you are better off posting on the Port of Call Board found here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=168

Better yet. Take an hour or so and read through the many existing threads and odds are you will find out everything you need to know. For example, just one or two posts down, there is a 5 page thread on Aruba Beaches.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2145343

Edited by JimmyVWine

Eagle Beach can be done on your own by Taxi. (We actually returned on the local transport) We had a very short visit (too short) in Aruba and it worked out very well. You can pay for a lounge chair if you want one and relax and enjoy the beach. I did not think of it as a snorkeling destination, though.

If you are looking for generic advice about a port instead of Princess-specific advice, you are better off posting on the Port of Call Board found here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=168

Better yet. Take an hour or so and read through the many existing threads and odds are you will find out everything you need to know. For example, just one or two posts down, there is a 5 page thread on Aruba Beaches.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2145343

Hi Jimmy,

I was searching for the Port of Call Board and could not find it that is why I started a new thread. Thank you for providing a link. :)

Zina

Hi Jimmy,

I was searching for the Port of Call Board and could not find it that is why I started a new thread. Thank you for providing a link. :)

Zina

No problem. Just scroll down to the bottom of any page and you will find a "Forum Jump" drop down box with "Princess Cruises" in it. Just click on the drop down arrow and all of the other areas of the Board will show up. Scroll down to "Ports of Call". From there, choose the "Caribbean" sub-group and all the ports will show up. Edited by JimmyVWine

We don't snorkel but we just walked through town and ended up at a beach. I had some very small (8 oz !!) bottles of Balashi beer for far more than it was worth while my wife enjoyed the water. :) I think the things cost me $4.75 each for the little bottles but my wife and I must sample the local beer wherever we go. :rolleyes:

Balashi_zps6uunukhk.jpg?t=1475514423

We don't snorkel but we just walked through town and ended up at a beach. I had some very small (8 oz !!) bottles of Balashi beer for far more than it was worth while my wife enjoyed the water. :) I think the things cost me $4.75 each for the little bottles but my wife and I must sample the local beer wherever we go. :rolleyes:

Balashi_zps6uunukhk.jpg?t=1475514423

Sounds like DH! He actually found that beer one of the better ones in the Carib. He got it for $3 at a tiny bar along a beach while we did the Aruba Trike trip. We don't travel anywhere without him drinking LOCAL. ;)

Edited by eandj

We are doing a March PC from SF to FLL and I have been looking at shore excursions. We have already been to Aruba so don't want to drive around much. I saw one ship excursion to a light house and then to the beach with a reserved lounge chair.

I will go back to the OPs specific question about beaches and snorkeling. We mentioned our favorite snorkel beach of Arashi. We should have made it clear there is no place to rent equipment...so that is something you should buy at home ( a good idea for any snorkel gear). There is one other beach used for snorkeling called Baby Beach. We do not like that place very much, and it's nearly impossible to get to Baby unless you have a rental car. The most popular beaches, Palm and Eagle both have sandy bottoms and are lousy snorkel spots.

For those who are interested in snorkeling, we really think it's worth the money to buy your own gear (locally or on line). It will pay for itself in about 2 to 3 uses. And you do know who has been wearing that gear :)

Hank

I will go back to the OPs specific question about beaches and snorkeling. We mentioned our favorite snorkel beach of Arashi. We should have made it clear there is no place to rent equipment...so that is something you should buy at home ( a good idea for any snorkel gear). There is one other beach used for snorkeling called Baby Beach. We do not like that place very much, and it's nearly impossible to get to Baby unless you have a rental car. The most popular beaches, Palm and Eagle both have sandy bottoms and are lousy snorkel spots.

For those who are interested in snorkeling, we really think it's worth the money to buy your own gear (locally or on line). It will pay for itself in about 2 to 3 uses. And you do know who has been wearing that gear :)

Hank

What brand of snorkel gear is a good one to invest in? I think I am ready to buy my own mask. I do not need prescription lens either. Thanks for any suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We went to Aruba for our Honeymoon last September and absolutely loved the beaches there.

Baby Beach is on the southeast side of the island and as someone already said, the best way to get there is by car.

Arashi Beach is on the northwest tip of the island and although it's beautiful, there isn't much there as far as rentals of snorkel equipment or even beach chairs. No bathroom facilities either.

Palm Beach and Eagle Beach are the best choices for spending a day on an absolutely gorgeous beach, but I don't think snorkeling is great here either. Lots of jet ski's and parasailing available though.

Palm Beach is our favourite area. There is a walkway that goes from one end of the beach to the other and there are lots of great bars and restaurants to enjoy. But as someone already posted, it's fairly expensive on Aruba and although the Balashi Beer is one of our favourites, it comes in very small bottles ;)

If you want a great excursion, try Trikes. Takes you to all the tourist spots on the island and is lots of fun too!!

Enjoy your cruise :)

Edited by fninsn