Question for those recently on Liberty of the Seas

Hey all - I have a question for those who recently have been on Liberty of the Seas.

My sister was on that cruise last week, leaving out of Galveston 9/25. She and her husband made a decision to leave the ship on Friday 9/30 and fly home because of their experience. Personally I LOVE Liberty and have sailed on her 3 times. I have never had an issue. I am just asking for perspective and because this is REALLY bothering me.

She tells me that she and her husband had dinner at Giovanni's on 9/26. She said a few hours later she was in the bathroom all night throwing up and she thinks it was bad mussels. She said her stomach is still recovering from that now. Then she says on 9/28 her husband was up all night vomiting from eating bad shrimp. I am not sure what dining venue that would have been but their plans for the week was 2 nights at Chops, 2 nights at Giovannis and main dining room for the rest of the week. She also told me that she and he both have a bad rash/bites on their bodies from the bedding in their cabin. They made a decision on 9/29 to leave the ship and come home immediately and not finish out the cruise.

I am not going to say food issues don't happen, because I know they can. And I have heard of bed bug issues at sea, but nothing on a mass scale from Royal. She also told me that she didn't communicate any of these issues to any staff onboard, though I know the cabin steward might be the first one I would go to about any bedding issues, and I would certainly report an suspicion of food poisoning to someone. I can't imagine anyone having that bad of luck with food, but admittedly I haven't been on Liberty for a couple of years.

It is bothering me because we booked Oasis for the same week in 2017, and now she is backing out of that cruise stating she will never cruise again. And it bugs me because the whole story just sounds a bit "fishy" to me:)

Put things in perspective for me my fellow cruising friends!

Thanks!

We were on the same cruise, had no problems. We ate in Chops one night food was okay, service was terrible. Main dining room the rest of the time, excellent service and I believe the best food we have had on a cruise.

No bites or rashes.

I believe if any of that happened to me, they would of certainly known about it when I left.

Royal leaves cabins unfilled for situations such as cabin flooding, bedbugs, smoke in cabin etc. With that being said I am sure just like any hotel they would take bed bugs EXTREMELY seriously should they have brought these issues up to guest relations. They would have been in another room in no time. Something seems fishy here. Food issues, sure, that happens, it happens at the finest restaurants and its unfortunate. This just seems all too scripted.

In my opinion, either they had a fight, or got in a bit of trouble with other guests?

She tells me they just walked off the ship Friday and no one said anything about their suitcases. I find that odd as well...

This entire story sounds fake. Something else was going on. Food poisoning is quick. You feel sick for 24 hours until you get it all out of your system.

Why in the world would they not tell anyone about the problems? They just left? Got off the ship and the ship did not contact them?

The last inspection the CDC conducted on LOS gave them a score of 99 out of 100. It was last year but they know they will be inspected soon so things should be super clean in that ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're in the middle of a b2b on Liberty so we were on last week and are still onboard. We have had a great trip so far. Certainly no bedbugs and no reports of any from our fellow cruisers. No food poisoning either. If I had experienced either of those things, someone would have heard about it.

We went to Roatan last week. I have never experienced them but I know some have gotten sand flea bites there.

Her story doesn't really make any sense.

You can leave a cruise early; however, there are laws and fees involved:

"The Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 (sometimes erroneously called “The Jones Act”). The law was enacted in the 19th century to protect U.S. interests. The law is still on the books today, and according to Wikipedia, it essentially says:

“No foreign vessels shall transport passengers between ports or places in the United States, either directly or by way of a foreign port, under a penalty of $200 (now $300) for each passenger so transported and landed.”

Also, we cruised on the Liberty September 18th and had absolutely no issues with food or bed bugs.

Edited by Charger2008

We were onboard last week, and we both were bitten by no-see-ums (biting midges) in Roatan. The bites take as long as 10 hours to show up and start itching like mad, so people always think they came from the cabin or hotel. And I was wearing (apparently ineffective or spotty) bug spray!

The vomiting sounds more like a gastro bug, or even noro that they both caught or shared. Two people contracting food poisoning from 2 different menu items on 2 different days sort of stretches the imagination.

Is she usually prone to over dramatization? :D:p:D

You can leave a cruise early; however, there are laws and fees involved:

"The Passenger Vessel Services Act of 1886 (sometimes erroneously called “The Jones Act”). The law was enacted in the 19th century to protect U.S. interests. The law is still on the books today, and according to Wikipedia, it essentially says:

“No foreign vessels shall transport passengers between ports or places in the United States, either directly or by way of a foreign port, under a penalty of $200 (now $300) for each passenger so transported and landed.”

Also, we cruised on the Liberty September 18th and had absolutely no issues with food or bed bugs.

There is no fine or penalty if a passenger disembarks the ship at a foreign port. On Friday we were in Cozumel. The PVSA prohibits transporting and boarding/disembarking passengers at two different US ports without visiting a distant foreign port. :)

No matter how they got sick, it's no fun being sick and I'm sorry to hear that happened to your friends and the bed bug situation is of course no fun.

But I feel like in regards to being sick, that seems like a silly excuse to just leave, and as for the bed bug situation, simply ask to get taken to another room or have them go to your room.

The story seems to have a lot of missing information, but if this happened to me, I would not just leave, I PAID for my vacation and I'll ride it out, no matter how bad I feel! Plus it probably would have been pretty easy for them to get another room, sleep out the rest of the cruise, and disembark back at the home port and use their original travel plans back home. To just disembark mid way, pay for a flight that didnt plan for back home, just seems in line to a child's tantrum

I was also on the cruise last week and I did have some issues with the shrimp in the main dining room were not cleaned. Also I had ants in my cabin and immediately told the room steward and also the Concierge and after the second ant they called someone to try and take care of it. Been sick since last Wednesday with a very bad cough.

Wendy

Hey all - I have a question for those who recently have been on Liberty of the Seas.

My sister was on that cruise last week, leaving out of Galveston 9/25. She and her husband made a decision to leave the ship on Friday 9/30 and fly home because of their experience. Personally I LOVE Liberty and have sailed on her 3 times. I have never had an issue. I am just asking for perspective and because this is REALLY bothering me.

She tells me that she and her husband had dinner at Giovanni's on 9/26. She said a few hours later she was in the bathroom all night throwing up and she thinks it was bad mussels. She said her stomach is still recovering from that now. Then she says on 9/28 her husband was up all night vomiting from eating bad shrimp. I am not sure what dining venue that would have been but their plans for the week was 2 nights at Chops, 2 nights at Giovannis and main dining room for the rest of the week. She also told me that she and he both have a bad rash/bites on their bodies from the bedding in their cabin. They made a decision on 9/29 to leave the ship and come home immediately and not finish out the cruise.

I am not going to say food issues don't happen, because I know they can. And I have heard of bed bug issues at sea, but nothing on a mass scale from Royal. She also told me that she didn't communicate any of these issues to any staff onboard, though I know the cabin steward might be the first one I would go to about any bedding issues, and I would certainly report an suspicion of food poisoning to someone. I can't imagine anyone having that bad of luck with food, but admittedly I haven't been on Liberty for a couple of years.

It is bothering me because we booked Oasis for the same week in 2017, and now she is backing out of that cruise stating she will never cruise again. And it bugs me because the whole story just sounds a bit "fishy" to me:)

Put things in perspective for me my fellow cruising friends!

Thanks!

Do you know for a fact that they came back early?

Maybe they just reconsidered going on the cruise with you, and made up this whole thing. Maybe that is their way out?

We are all speculating here....but if they were asked to leave the ship they would be banned by RCL to cruise with the line again.

I agree it is weird and a rash thing to do. Would have cost them a lot to fly home last minute.

And can also bet if I found bed beds I would be running to guest services with the critter in a baggy and asking for help. If it was bed bugs without treatment they brought those back with them to their house.

I got chewed up one cruise with sand fleas so bad I ended up needing the ships Doctor. Pesky little things!

All this said to those reading this thread...Liberty is a great ship. We have been on her at least five times and have two more booked on her. Not worried at all but will take bug spray to the beach with me and wash hands often .

Regardless of what your sister and her husband may or may not have experienced, go on your cruise and enjoy yourself. If she doesn't want to go with you, then go without her. When you get back, tell her about all the fun she missed. :D

Edited by JimAOk1945

We are all speculating here....but if they were asked to leave the ship they would be banned by RCL to cruise with the line again.

Not related to the OP's sister, but we saw 2 people that were cut off for overindulging on alcohol. Their cards were flagged when he tried to scan them. The bartender that we spoke to, said the prohibition is for either 12 or 24 hours. I don't know how they decide.

It was just interesting. We hadn't seen that before, but it may be more common with the prevalence of the drink packages.

This makes the most sense. Trying to save face saying they were sick. I can't imaging someone having so many problems they pay for really expensive flights home without even talking to anyone.

Thank you everyone. You certainly helped put things in perspective. While I still feel lied to, thats not unusual. I know they were on the ship because I have photos from embarkation day of them watching the NY Giants game by the pool, and video of my BIL on Flow Rider.

I assume either they had an issue that led to them requesting to depart or being asked to depart early. My sister is usually more out spoken than I, and I know how I would have handled the situation. It is possible they did get sick, but my guess might be that it was something they may have flown down there with rather than full food poisoning for both of them.

I plan to cruise on Oasis in Sept 2017 (WE CAN'T WAIT!!!!) Regardless of anyone else going. My hubby and I have wanted to go on Oasis for a few years now and are finally able to do so.

Thanks again!!!!! I love hearing from all of you while my family "drama" plays out! UGH - nothing can ever be easy can it?!

Interesting story and I found out that I better bring some bug spray with me to Roatan. Mosquitos love me so I am sure the sand fleas and other biting critters will find me.

I felt that way after CocoCay last spring. It was bad! I never normally bring bug spray, but will be adding that to my pack list.

We were on the same cruise, had no problems. We ate in Chops one night food was okay, service was terrible. Main dining room the rest of the time, excellent service and I believe the best food we have had on a cruise.

No bites or rashes.

I believe if any of that happened to me, they would of certainly known about it when I left.

I am sorry you had a bad experience in Chops. Its one of my favorite places!

And yes, Royal would have definitely heard from me on all of those issues!

My son works on this ship he did mention that there was a bug going around and there was a lot of cleaning going on. It happens unfortunately. Bad luck they both got it

Oh thats too bad. Maybe there was something going around. I hope your son is doing okay. Let him know we do all appreciate the hard work the staff does to keep things going smoothly!

We were onboard last week, and we both were bitten by no-see-ums (biting midges) in Roatan. The bites take as long as 10 hours to show up and start itching like mad, so people always think they came from the cabin or hotel. And I was wearing (apparently ineffective or spotty) bug spray!

The vomiting sounds more like a gastro bug, or even noro that they both caught or shared. Two people contracting food poisoning from 2 different menu items on 2 different days sort of stretches the imagination.

Is she usually prone to over dramatization? :D:p:D

Yes! Drama is her middle name! UGH