Elite Beverage Package

ksmaxey

I have seen reports of an Elite Beverage Package on the Konigsdam that is 54.95 per day (plus 15%) that raises the limit on beverages to $15 from $8 for the Signature Beverage package.

We will never drink 15 drinks - even with coffees, but found the wine choices under the SBP to be quite lacking.

In the thread Dave’s Trip To, Around and Into Australia, Sept. 26 – Nov. 23, 2016 there is on Page 7 mention that the Elite package is being offered on the Maasdam on the current cruise down to Hawaii and around Australia.

We will be on the Rotterdam in January and right now have Explore 4.

So several questions:

Has anyone else seen this offered on any other ships?

Has anyone been successful in paying the "difference" to upgrade?

While the math worked well for us to do explore 4 over the regular fare, we were resigned to not having wine with dinner.

Given that with Explore 4 there is no "bonus" for ship spending we might be tempted to rebook without Explore 4 if the Elite was offered and there was no upgrade option.

I know that if I call Seattle I am likely to get my questions answered. So I come to you - the Sherpas of HAL - what do you think?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Many of us have similar questions. It seems the "Elite" package was trialed first on the Konigsdam this summer, and I remember reading somewhere that people were not being allowed to pay the difference to upgrade. It now seems to be on the Maasdam as well, perhaps as another trial. There have also been reports on other ships only applying the 15 drink/day limit to alcoholic beverages and not to water/soda/coffees.

HAL really need to get the beverage package offers sorted out and come up with a definitive policy and better offering, which is what I think they are attempting to do, albeit at a snails pace - lol

Ideal would be two levels like Celebrity, with the ability to pay up to the higher level if given the base offering as a booking perk, as well as to pay the price differential on drinks over the package limit when on the higher level package. Either that or take the Princess keep it simple approach - one package, one price, unlimited drinks, pay differential if over limit. I actually prefer the Princess approach :D

We were on Koningsdam in May 2016 and had the Signature Beverage Package through Explore4. We asked a bar waiter if we could upgrade to the Elite Beverage Package by paying the difference in cost ($10 plus gratuities). He said he had to ask his manager and disappeared for a few minutes, returning with a "Yes, you can!" answer. We were clear about not wanting to pay the full price, only the difference, and he said we could do it. We did it.

Over the next few days, we went back and forth with the front desk over whether we could do it. It finally turned out that "The Beverage Manager has made an exception for you because you asked if you could pay the difference to upgrade and were told yes. Otherwise, this is not permitted with the Explore4 promotion." It wasn't clear if it was permitted if we had bought the Signature Beverage Package outright.

If you are interested in upgrading, I would ask but be sure to know who said "Yes" if they do indeed say yes.

Anyhow, YMMV. Hopefully they have at least come up with a consistent policy regarding this.