Wondering what happens with Port Canaveral being Closed

MLW070

We're in Melbourne too, no damage at all, and our power came on yesterday around noon, but a lot of our neighbors still don't have it. I can still hear generators running. Glad you're okay.

Thanks, you too.

That was something though.I hope our beachside did not sustain too much damage.

Steve

Cruising seems to be, in the minds of many, a vacation destination that apparently starts when a passenger leaves their home and they develop the idea that from that point on it is up to the cruise line to insure that everything should go as planned. If it doesn't a small consensus seems to feel that it is up to the cruise line to "make it right".

In this case it isn't up to Carnival to "cancel" a cruise if their departure is within a day of schedule and land based operations (ie, restocking, the terminal) are functional.

Just like in winter months when snow storms blanket the midwest and travel is disrupted for many and passengers can't get to the embarkation ports the current scenario is no different. The cruise is the cruise, getting to the cruise is the responsibility of the passengers. And this is a major factor and a major reason for purchasing travel insurance or using a credit card that "insures" someone's trip.

Don't people take into consideration that cruises departing during "storm" season or who cruise during hurricane season that there may be a strong chance that things could go wrong.

I am sure thousands will be boarding the cruises from Florida that are departing today and tomorrow. Should Carnival cancel their vacation because a few passengers had their plan's interrupted by forces of nature.

Of course we all feel for those whose plans were ruined....but we can only advise to be more pro-active the next time around.

Absolutely ridiculous that Carnival is not offering a refund to passengers who were flying into Orlando but had their flight canceled and are not able to get a flight into Orlando today. Royal Caribbean and Disney both had cruises leaving Port Canaveral today. Royal Caribbean canceled it days ago and gave a full refund and Disney postponed it a day to Sunday and offered a full refund for those who want to cancel. Carnival on the other hand expects people to fly/drive during a hurricane.

Who said Carnival doesn't refund? Full refunds from the other two to include airfare? What are you saying besides trying to make Carnival look bad?

Absolutely ridiculous that Carnival is not offering a refund to passengers who were flying into Orlando but had their flight canceled and are not able to get a flight into Orlando today. Royal Caribbean and Disney both had cruises leaving Port Canaveral today. Royal Caribbean canceled it days ago and gave a full refund and Disney postponed it a day to Sunday and offered a full refund for those who want to cancel. Carnival on the other hand expects people to fly/drive during a hurricane.

I am from SC, and i was scheduled to depart on Magic today. Last night i canceled my cruise with no insurance. Carnival is making me go before the review board for the refund. SO far i got instant refund of $1300.00, for my cruise. I am going before the review board for $2598.00 that i am missing from not being able to get to magic today. Airfare out of the 3 airports near me meant $1500 to $2000 person because i am living in one of the states affected by Matthew. I also had to show proof that my hotel has canceled because of hurricane matthew, and that roads were impassible, and if you were traveling from an affected state they truly were..anyways i am waiting to see if carnival will grant me an FCC on this for the amount out of pocket...I hope they will so i can rebook in April this was a 27 year anniversary cruise for us...instead i will spend my time in TN mountains, happy to not deal with this hurricane crap for a few days...i feel anything i worried over with this cruise, was minimal at then end of the day i have my home, power, food to eat, health, etc...and so many people in Florida, SC, GA, NC, and the affected countries do not...

Personally I don't feel the cruise line owes anyone anything for not being able to make it to the cruise*. That is what insurance is for. Just like rolling the dice in Vegas, not buying insurance means you may win and you may lose, but if you lose you don't have the right to try to force the house to return the ante.

*The exception to this is a cruise where the departure port has been changed. In this case the cruise line needs to either make reasonable arrangements for inward travel from the original port, pay change fees, or refund cruise fare (only--other costs to be claimed through insurance or eaten). They should also offer some sort of compensation, be it an on board credit or future cruise discount as good will. Reasonable arrangements to another port would mean Port Everglades to Miami or PC, PC to Tampa or Jax, Port Liberty to Brooklyn, etc. If it were more than three or so hours by motor coach, it becomes unreasonable.

Personally I don't feel the cruise line owes anyone anything for not being able to make it to the cruise*. That is what insurance is for. Just like rolling the dice in Vegas, not buying insurance means you may win and you may lose, but if you lose you don't have the right to try to force the house to return the ante.

*The exception to this is a cruise where the departure port has been changed. In this case the cruise line needs to either make reasonable arrangements for inward travel from the original port, pay change fees, or refund cruise fare (only--other costs to be claimed through insurance or eaten). They should also offer some sort of compensation, be it an on board credit or future cruise discount as good will. Reasonable arrangements to another port would mean Port Everglades to Miami or PC, PC to Tampa or Jax, Port Liberty to Brooklyn, etc. If it were more than three or so hours by motor coach, it becomes unreasonable.

Lets be REAL HERE..Carnival DID NOT MEET THE CONTRACT..anymore THAN I COULD DUE TO THE HURRICANE... So shouldn't BOTH PARTIES lose??? ANd for the record it was straight up to last minute on weather Magic would cruise this time.....and carnivals hourly changes..which is why they are liable ..they said on time one night and delayed hours later...they need to make it right....

Lets be REAL HERE..Carnival DID NOT MEET THE CONTRACT..anymore THAN I COULD DUE TO THE HURRICANE... So shouldn't BOTH PARTIES lose??? ANd for the record it was straight up to last minute on weather Magic would cruise this time.....and carnivals hourly changes..which is why they are liable ..they said on time one night and delayed hours later...they need to make it right....

You obviously didn't read your cruise contract. It allows them to make changes. The only person to blame is yourself for not insuring your trip. Consider it an expensive lesson learned and move on.

Read quite a few posts about hurricane issues last couple days.. I think there are quite a few people on here with little to no compassion, just my opinion. I keep hearing buy insurance... Personnally I never buy insurance, should I have to purchase insurance to ensure I get to enjoy my vacation... Anyways I think all people are wanting is compassion, which would go a long way in being more loyal to Carnival. During circumstances like last couple days, by the way which nobody can control, providing a refund would go a long way.. Is it really going to hurt Carnival to have a couple cruises half full, I think not... Look at all the businesses that closed the last couple days, no money for them and I am sure they will survive. Carnival has never been "bad" to me thus I continue to sail with them... If I were in these people's shoes perhaps I would change to a competitor. And before you flame these people you should really put yourself in there shoes and think how you would handle the situation.

Read quite a few posts about hurricane issues last couple days.. I think there are quite a few people on here with little to no compassion, just my opinion. I keep hearing buy insurance... Personnally I never buy insurance, should I have to purchase insurance to ensure I get to enjoy my vacation... Anyways I think all people are wanting is compassion, which would go a long way in being more loyal to Carnival. During circumstances like last couple days, by the way which nobody can control, providing a refund would go a long way.. Is it really going to hurt Carnival to have a couple cruises half full, I think not... Look at all the businesses that closed the last couple days, no money for them and I am sure they will survive. Carnival has never been "bad" to me thus I continue to sail with them... If I were in these people's shoes perhaps I would change to a competitor. And before you flame these people you should really put yourself in there shoes and think how you would handle the situation.

Don't be cheap and buy insurance during hurricane season. End of story!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OH waaaahhhh. I live near Orlando. I take responsibility for myself and my family. I spend double the amount of most people to insure my home with the company #1 for paying claims who limits exposure in any given area and has exceptional financials. I have window protection, a generator, even a supply of blue tarps and a chainsaw in case I ever need them.

I spent Thursday prepping and today packing it all away and resetting my patio furniture--and helping neighbors who needed a hand.

I buy travel insurance. I would never expect a cruise line to reimburse me for an act of God that I could have insured for, but chose not to.

It's called personal responsibility, and I don't understand why anyone who doesn't have any should be rewarded for their lack thereof.

OH waaaahhhh. I live near Orlando. I take responsibility for myself and my family. I spend double the amount of most people to insure my home with the company #1 for paying claims who limits exposure in any given area and has exceptional financials. I have window protection, a generator, even a supply of blue tarps and a chainsaw in case I ever need them.

I spent Thursday prepping and today packing it all away and resetting my patio furniture--and helping neighbors who needed a hand.

I buy travel insurance. I would never expect a cruise line to reimburse me for an act of God that I could have insured for, but chose not to.

It's called personal responsibility, and I don't understand why anyone who doesn't have any should be rewarded for their lack thereof.

I respect your opinion but you shouldn't have to purchase travel insurance to ensure you get to your vacation. BTW, just because I don't purchase travel insurance doesn't mean I am not a responsible person. My wife and I, like many people, have worked extremely hard to put us in the great situation we are presently in. Just for example, our daughter will graduate debt free this spring from an accredited four year university, that's an example of personal responsibility. Compassion... It slowly disappears every day in this world as to many people think about themselves vs the big picture....

I respect your opinion but you shouldn't have to purchase travel insurance to ensure you get to your vacation. BTW, just because I don't purchase travel insurance doesn't mean I am not a responsible person. My wife and I, like many people, have worked extremely hard to put us in the great situation we are presently in. Just for example, our daughter will graduate debt free this spring from an accredited four year university, that's an example of personal responsibility. Compassion... It slowly disappears every day in this world as to many people think about themselves vs the big picture....

Really has nothing to do with compassion. Why should someone who is too cheap to buy insurance during hurricane season get the same benefits as someone who does?

Really has nothing to do with compassion. Why should someone who is too cheap to buy insurance during hurricane season get the same benefits as someone who does?

Exactly. The blinders some wear are staggering.

So if your neighbors house burns down and they don't have insurance, Allstate should pay them anyhow?

So if your neighbors house burns down and they don't have insurance, Allstate should pay them anyhow?

Now your taking it out of context.. You have to have homeowners insurance to get a mortgage...

I am not against Carnival, just saying that eventually they will get hurt as they have little compassion unless it is there fault.. They and others should look at the big picture and how decisions they make will effect them in the future..

Now your taking it out of context.. You have to have homeowners insurance to get a mortgage...

I am not against Carnival, just saying that eventually they will get hurt as they have little compassion unless it is there fault.. They and others should look at the big picture and how decisions they make will effect them in the future..

You assume everyone has a mortgage. OK, how about this. You rent an apartment. There is a fire, and everything you own burns to a crisp. The fire is due to lightning hitting the building. Do you expect the landlord to pay for you stuff because you didn't bother to buy insurance?

You assume everyone has a mortgage. OK, how about this. You rent an apartment. There is a fire, and everything you own burns to a crisp. The fire is due to lightning hitting the building. Do you expect the landlord to pay for you stuff because you didn't bother to buy insurance?

That would fall under a person not being responsible... I am choosing to spend my money with xxx on vacation, I shouldn't need insurance.. In unforeseen circumstances the parties should be able to work out within reason... Carnival doesn't show any compassion within these circumstances unless it is there fault or they can't comply on there end, meaning getting to port on time or missing port. They don't consider the issues others may be dealing with.

When you book a cruise in hurricane season then you are making a conscious choice to accept the responsibility of weather related issues if you choose NOT to purchase travel insurance. Weather can happen on any cruise but the fact that this period of time is well known as hurricane season, it seems kind of silly to take the added chance that you would not protect yourselves.

Travel insurance is cheap and compared to losing the price of the trip or even even a portion of a trip it is well worth the purchase. This is a choice you make with full disclosure and you should not expect any one else to act in your best interest except for you.

Read quite a few posts about hurricane issues last couple days.. I think there are quite a few people on here with little to no compassion, just my opinion. I keep hearing buy insurance... Personnally I never buy insurance, should I have to purchase insurance to ensure I get to enjoy my vacation...

If you want to be compensated when things go wrong you do need to purchase insurance . Sorry ! Compassion has nothing to do with it .

I really am sorry that this happened to your cruise, but unfortunately when we book cruises and agree to the Terms and Conditions, we agree to this:

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/legal-notice/port-cancellation-policy.aspx

"Due to the nature of a cruise vacation, itinerary changes sometimes

become necessary for safety, weather or other reasons beyond the control of Carnival. If the itinerary change is for reasons beyond Carnival’s exclusive control, including but not limited to safety, security, weather, strikes, tides, hostilities, civil unrest, port closings, emergency debarkations of guests or crew, late air, sea, car or motor coach departures or arrivals, mechanical breakdowns or problems not known to Carnival, itinerary changes consistent with U.S. State Department travel warnings / advisories or other applicable US or foreign governmental advisories, guests will not be provided any compensation. Guests electing to cancel will be subject to the standard cancellation terms."

"THIRD PARTY COSTS RESULTING FROM CRUISE CANCELLATIONS OR ITINERARY CHANGES:

Carnival shall not be liable to guests for any charges, fees or expenses paid or owed to third parties by guests (such as air travel booked by a guest directly with an airline) in connection with a cancelled cruise or an itinerary change for any reason."

Given the circumstances, I would not be surprised if they gave you more compensation of some form after arbitration. It is very doubtful it will be the complete amount.

That would fall under a person not being responsible... I am choosing to spend my money with xxx on vacation, I shouldn't need insurance.. In unforeseen circumstances the parties should be able to work out within reason... Carnival doesn't show any compassion within these circumstances unless it is there fault or they can't comply on there end, meaning getting to port on time or missing port. They don't consider the issues others may be dealing with.

OK, since you want to keep the analogies close to the topic... So if (God forbid) something bad happened to you or a loved one on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean, and you don't buy insurance, who do you propose should pay your medical evacuation charges of $50-100K?

It certainly should not be the cruise line footing that bill as they lived up to their end of the contract and provided you cruise passage. The $100 or so that we pony up before each cruise will protect my family in this situation (and cover may other potential pitfalls of cruising). I wouldn't have to come on to a message board and try to justify others picking up the tab for my "personal responsibility".

Edited by The4Cruisers

Expecting compassion from a mega-corp isn't a safe bet. Hence my frequent quote: "the cruise line doesn't love you back".

As far as "I shouldn't need insurance", this a pretty black and white case--there are two worlds here, one is your idealized view of things and one is reality. In reality, you need insurance because the company really *isn't* responsible for hurricanes and it wouldn't be financially viable for them to be.

Yeah, if a passenger without insurance cries and cries online and raises a huge fuss on social media the cruise line might cave, but if they do that for everyone, they won't stay in business. Again, the reality of the situation.

Expecting compassion from a mega-corp isn't a safe bet. Hence my frequent quote: "the cruise line doesn't love you back".

As far as "I shouldn't need insurance", this a pretty black and white case--there are two worlds here, one is your idealized view of things and one is reality. In reality, you need insurance because the company really *isn't* responsible for hurricanes and it wouldn't be financially viable for them to be.

Yeah, if a passenger without insurance cries and cries online and raises a huge fuss on social media the cruise line might cave, but if they do that for everyone, they won't stay in business. Again, the reality of the situation.

Reality is even the ones who had cruise insurance are not getting it all back, especially when it went down to the wire like that, our friends still took a $1400 hit with the insurance.;)

Reality is even the ones who had cruise insurance are not getting it all back, especially when it went down to the wire like that, our friends still took a $1400 hit with the insurance.;)

Would you like to elaborate what the loss involved was? Was it just cruise fare?

The comparison between the apartment fire and the cruise are 100% equal. You were responsible for buying insurance, you chose not to. Carnival has absolutely no reason to give you a penny other than port charges back. Entitled much?