C'mon Carnival...Make A Decision!

FloridaAdGuy

So, the Port of Canaveral is closing today and the Carnival Victory dropped off its passengers (a day early) and is now heading out to sea empty. I am on tomorrow's cruise and just called Carnival to see what the status is. They claim they're on standby. I then ask the CSR so that means I am expected to travel to a closed port to board a ship that's not there? She said at the moment that's what that means. Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

What exactly are you expecting? Unless the storm damages the port to a degree that the ship cannot dock, there will be a cruise. It may be shortened, but it will still go. Did you take out insurance? You do realize that you booked during hurricane season? I am just confused as to what you are expecting them to tell you.

I agree!!!!!

And wow! Really that was her response?! This was posted on the FB page for our cruise group that leaves on the 8th out of Canaveral.. don't know where she got her information.

"Shortened cruise WITH 50% off next cruise and OBC! That's what they gave the people on Victory."

We live on the coast of NC and we either have to leave for Florida at the crack of dawn tomorrow to beat the storm (we have reservations in Orlando) or stay home and be stuck until the storm clears our area which I think is Sunday? Either way, I don't want to be stuck halfway to Florida or already there and then they decide to cancel or even delay it multiple days.

I agree to an extent. I would just like to have an idea what are the odds our cruise on the Magic will sail as planned on October 8. Will Carnival likely push back the sail date to Sunday?

We are supposed to be flying in Friday night to MCO. Should we change our flight in to Saturday?

So many unknowns and no one has a crystal ball. :confused:

One of my employees is supposed to be on the Victory tomorrow and they still have not told him what is happening. They have called every hour and it is still not cancelled. What does Carnival think is going to happen that by some magic they are going to sail back into port and pick up the passengers? Are they just trying to salvage part of the cruise and come in Friday and get everyone. I think it stinks, what about the people flying in or driving from somewhere far away.

What exactly are you expecting? Unless the storm damages the port to a degree that the ship cannot dock, there will be a cruise. It may be shortened, but it will still go. Did you take out insurance? You do realize that you booked during hurricane season? I am just confused as to what you are expecting them to tell you.

What I (and thousands of others) am expecting is some information. The ship has LEFT the dock...empty. They are CLOSING the port and the ship will NOT be allowed in until the storm passes. This is only a three-day cruise so shortening it by a couple days is not really a possibility. I have no problem if they are going to cancel and don't hold Carnival responsible. All I'm asking is that they are responsible to their customers. Why wait to under 24 hours to make an announcement that they've already decided upon.

Most recent on Victory:

Carnival Victory – 10/6/16 departure

Port Canaveral will be closed to all marine traffic as of noon today. If the storm track changes, we plan to operate a two-day cruise on Friday with a call to Freeport, subject to a post-storm assessment by port officials.

In the event we operate a two-day cruise, a pro-rated refund equal to the amount of one day and pre-purchased shore excursions for Nassau will be processed to your original form of payment within three weeks. Gratuities will be adjusted to reflect the shortened duration.

We certainly understand the impact this unexpected change has on your travel plans. Should you wish to cancel, you may do so with a full refund by calling 1-800-CARNIVAL.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4091

In part Carnival's confusion is due to confusion at NHOAA and hurricane forecasting. As of this AM the modeling of the track has Matthew missing the front that would pull it up north. That means there's potential for the storm to stick around in the area where it is and maybe come back to the coast or never leave.

Ships coming back early and then sailing out empty to wait out a storm is SOP. Port closures are just for a short amount of time. Ports will wait to open until after the danger has passed and is no longer a threat. That might be Friday. It might be Saturday, Sunday or middle of next week.

Carnival, or any other cruise ship lines, can't give a definitive answer until they know both the port and weather conditions, present and future.

Yes I empathize with cruisers heading out this weekend from south eastern ports, but that's the chance you take.

So, the Port of Canaveral is closing today and the Carnival Victory dropped off its passengers (a day early) and is now heading out to sea empty. I am on tomorrow's cruise and just called Carnival to see what the status is. They claim they're on standby. I then ask the CSR so that means I am expected to travel to a closed port to board a ship that's not there? She said at the moment that's what that means. Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

They are giving the opportunity to cancel if you don't want the adjusted sailing (which of course may not happen anyhow). Kind of a tough situation for the CSRs in the call center as they can only tell what they are given and because it's a constantly changing weather event even those making decisions are having some difficulty with what to do. They want to keep as many guests happy as possible, keep as much revenue as they can, etc...tough situation for everyone involved. Glad to see nobody is blaming the cruise lines for the situation which is clearly mother nature having fun with the Florida coastal communities.

Most recent on Victory:

Carnival Victory – 10/6/16 departure

Port Canaveral will be closed to all marine traffic as of noon today. If the storm track changes, we plan to operate a two-day cruise on Friday with a call to Freeport, subject to a post-storm assessment by port officials.

In the event we operate a two-day cruise, a pro-rated refund equal to the amount of one day and pre-purchased shore excursions for Nassau will be processed to your original form of payment within three weeks. Gratuities will be adjusted to reflect the shortened duration.

We certainly understand the impact this unexpected change has on your travel plans. Should you wish to cancel, you may do so with a full refund by calling 1-800-CARNIVAL.

I would say that your options are clear: either cancel and receive a full refund, and you will know EXACTLY what you are doing for the next few days, or roll the dice and take a gamble that you'll cruise somewhere, for some length of time, and maybe get a future offer. The choice is up to you.

I agree!!!!!

And wow! Really that was her response?! This was posted on the FB page for our cruise group that leaves on the 8th out of Canaveral.. don't know where she got her information.

"Shortened cruise WITH 50% off next cruise and OBC! That's what they gave the people on Victory."

We live on the coast of NC and we either have to leave for Florida at the crack of dawn tomorrow to beat the storm (we have reservations in Orlando) or stay home and be stuck until the storm clears our area which I think is Sunday? Either way, I don't want to be stuck halfway to Florida or already there and then they decide to cancel or even delay it multiple days.

Where did you hear that from? Just got off the Victory a day early, all they said is we are getting a prorated day refund. I am happy to be headed home. We spent the last 2 days seeing the people of the Bahamas closing their shops in preparation. So glad I am not facing what they are.

I agree!!!!!

Considering Orlando is currently under a hurricane warning, I don't think I'd want to risk it. Personally, I'd take Carnival's generous offer of a refund and then rebook something else later. Matthew is forecast to be a category 4 as it skirts the Florida coast. That's a major hurricane.

Sorry Hurricane Matthew has affected your vacation. That's a bummer for sure.

I would take a refund and plan another trip. I live in Florida and the forecast is still so unsure - we don't know what to expect at this point. I really do feel bad for those that have been waiting for a cruise and are faced with disappointment, but none of us can control the weather and with the changes it's hard for anyone to say how bad it's going to actually be.

I pray for the safety of all and if my 7 day cruise turns into 5 or 6 days, I would still be happy!!! We are driving to Port Canaveral and I would be more than happy to wait for this storm to get completely out of our way!!!:D

One of my employees is supposed to be on the Victory tomorrow and they still have not told him what is happening. They have called every hour and it is still not cancelled. What does Carnival think is going to happen that by some magic they are going to sail back into port and pick up the passengers? Are they just trying to salvage part of the cruise and come in Friday and get everyone. I think it stinks, what about the people flying in or driving from somewhere far away.

Hopefully your employee will heed Carnival's instructions if he/she wishes to be notified of changes to Victory. Carnival also offers the following option when customers do their online check-in after booking their cruise.

Carnival says:

Additionally, to stay up to date on any changes that may affect your sailing, we encourage you to sign up for text alerts by texting the codes below to CRUISE (278473).

Carnival Fantasy 10/7 CCL2

Carnival Sensation 10/6 CCL4

Carnival Victory 10/6 CCL8

Its stressful, isn't it? Ugh. I was a ball of nerves on Saturday night, preparing for my Pride trip. I knew there had to be some port changes but Carnival wasn't saying anything. I gladly took the full refund and rebooked when they finally emailed me. Sure its disappointing to be all packed to go and then you're suddenly not going and you're back at work on Monday. But in the end, its just a vacation for me..people lost their homes. Then I think about the Carnival service reps who have nothing to do with the decisions being made..imagine how their week has been..people screaming at them, complaining.

I keep seeing "You knew this could happen if you want to sail during hurricane season!" Being new to cruising, I honestly never thought about it. Stupid? Sure. I booked my cruise when I was able to get off of work. I never thought about a hurricane. I'm better educated now and will not book during the season :)

I hope everything works out for you and you do get to take an awesome vacation soon.

I would be very surprised to hear of anything sailing out on Friday, we are just north of the port and the worst of the storm is expected here Friday afternoon. Not much time to clear the port. We still don't know if evacuation will be mandatory here, they are evacuating the island so far......it's a doozy!

I would take the offer of a full refund and find another cruise in the future. Evacuations and closed ports and airports, super long lines for gas or no gas, high winds are not my idea of a fun drive to the port and when you get there you might be on a 1 day cruise? No thank you.

so, the port of canaveral is closing today and the carnival victory dropped off its passengers (a day early) and is now heading out to sea empty. I am on tomorrow's cruise and just called carnival to see what the status is. They claim they're on standby. I then ask the csr so that means i am expected to travel to a closed port to board a ship that's not there? She said at the moment that's what that means. Unbelievable. :rolleyes:

oops! Someone else posted Carnival's update.

Edited by jerseyralph

Save money by booking during huricane season that i the risk you take.

Hurricane has not announced direction it is yet taking.

Another vote for taking the offer and getting a full refund. Why deal with this if you do not need to?

Me? I still have some deck furniture to move in. 25 solar lights to take out of the garden beds, bring in the garden hose, and finish moving stuff in the garage so I can get the car in!

Sort of puts this in perspective, eh? :cool:

For anyone who decides to take the refund and not cruise, come to Nashville and spend your vacation! The weather in Nashville this week is just beautiful with cool nights and warm days with abundant sunshine and low humidity. There are plenty of things to do in Middle Tennessee this time of year! Come and enjoy some southern hospitality and great food.

It beats worrying about a hurricane.

Another vote for taking the offer and getting a full refund. Why deal with this if you do not need to?

Me? I still have some deck furniture to move in. 25 solar lights to take out of the garden beds, bring in the garden hose, and finish moving stuff in the garage so I can get the car in!

Sort of puts this in perspective, eh? :cool:

We got most of our stuff in, but never thought about the solar lights! Thanks! We're finishing the hurricane shutters now. We're in Melbourne....and supposed to be on the Valor Saturday. I'm hoping we are, or at least by Sunday...we would have electricity and hot food!!!:)

Stay safe, Lou!:cool: