Luggage question for wheelies

LokiPoki

Not strictly a cruising question - but as I know a few of you here are seasoned travellers, I'm after a bit of advice with luggage.

My (rather old and unwieldy) suitcase was broken on our last trip, so I've been looking for something new. Usually I travel with family and have them to assist if need be, but I've got at least one weekend coming up traveling on my own, and potentially a trip later next year also. I'm looking at (and have put a refundable hold on) a small/mid-size, soft American tourister case ...fits snug against the back of my chair - should be able to attach it with bungee cords, should be big enough for a decent length trip, small enough that I should be able to hoick it up across my lap if need be - and the shop are happy for me to bring it home to try it with a bit of weight in it to see how it affects the balance of the chair, etc. But wondering if anyone has any other suggestions of things I could be looking at. Have seen some suggestions on disabled travel sites of things like wheeled duffels...but I'm having trouble finding any other than online and don't want to buy anything sight unseen.

Cheers :)

Not strictly a cruising question - but as I know a few of you here are seasoned travellers, I'm after a bit of advice with luggage.

My (rather old and unwieldy) suitcase was broken on our last trip, so I've been looking for something new. Usually I travel with family and have them to assist if need be, but I've got at least one weekend coming up traveling on my own, and potentially a trip later next year also. I'm looking at (and have put a refundable hold on) a small/mid-size, soft American tourister case ...fits snug against the back of my chair - should be able to attach it with bungee cords, should be big enough for a decent length trip, small enough that I should be able to hoick it up across my lap if need be - and the shop are happy for me to bring it home to try it with a bit of weight in it to see how it affects the balance of the chair, etc. But wondering if anyone has any other suggestions of things I could be looking at. Have seen some suggestions on disabled travel sites of things like wheeled duffels...but I'm having trouble finding any other than online and don't want to buy anything sight unseen.

Cheers :)

Power chair or manual?

For the purposes of this discussion, ultralight folding manual. I'm looking at power assist at some point (though given NDIS teething issues, could be next month, next year, or in ten years time...not that I'm cynical of course :D:eek:) - whether power pack under the chair or integrated into the wheel hubs - but doesn't greatly change the balance of the chair (just less stress on already shot shoulders!) and shouldn't I think affect where/how I can tie a case on.

Edited by LokiPoki

For the purposes of this discussion, ultralight folding manual. I'm looking at power assist at some point (though given NDIS teething issues, could be next month, next year, or in ten years time...not that I'm cynical of course :D:eek:) - whether power pack under the chair or integrated into the wheel hubs - but doesn't greatly change the balance of the chair (just less stress on already shot shoulders!) and shouldn't I think affect where/how I can tie a case on.

I'm a bit worried that strapping it on back would cause major balance issues, I've often slung my laptop bag across the handles and it has caused balance problems, but I'm not sure how else you can go with a manual chair, where you have no free hands, with a power chair I'd say a spinner.

At one stage I had two sets of saddlebags that went over my armrests, now this was mainly for carrying books and lever arch folders but should work just as well for clothes.

My chair was almost identical to this

http://www.leadwayau.com/e-wheelchair

And was great because it folded like a manual chair to fit through doors, and could be used as manual if your battery died.

Yeah, potential balance issues are why I'm really glad they're happy for me to play with it at home & return it if needs be. What I'm imagining is the case snug against the back of my chair (wheels on the ground)and attached with bungees so that I can push & it can be pulled along behind. Chair is custom built for me (version of this - http://www.tilite.com/chairs_2gx.php#5 though I've got arm rests, and handles) which does make balance easier - I can sling a 10kg backpack of medical gear on the back without unbalancing myself too much (have to figure that one out next...lap maybe, or under chair, though my under chair bag is a PITA to get on and off for airport security...)

How do you go with bags over the armrests? I've seen them - or pictures of them anyway - but always thought they'd at best get really grubby (maybe that's just because I've got an inability to avoid puddles?) and at worst with a manual chair get stuck in spokes and/or make it impossible to push.

A quick search came up with this, which is in line with what I was thinking. A towing hitch for suitcases, behind a wheelchair/mobility scooter.:)Hope it helps.

Now that's a good thought! I can't quite see from the picture - though I get the general idea - might have to do some googling. Maybe I need a trailer ;) I have got a few handy bits and pieces on the back of my chair that should work as attachment points - even though it's a folding chair, I use a rigid/removable back - so has a handle there, plus the canes, then the frame lower down. Your using the word 'hitch' has got me thinking maybe something like one or two big carabiners might work to help attach the thing to me. Really is figuring out actual luggage type that'll work best, but the input is appreciated :) (Yours too Gut)

My initial thought was a swivel hook, that the extended suitcase handle hooked over, and it used its own (suitcase wheels to be towed).

Swivel-hook should allow some sort of safety in turning, as the suitcase shouldn't tip over.

I typed in WHEEL CHAIR TOWING LUGGAGE.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=wheelchair+towing+luggage&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IENTSR&pc=EUPP_

The pics should be bigger,just click on images.

:):):)

Yeah, potential balance issues are why I'm really glad they're happy for me to play with it at home & return it if needs be. What I'm imagining is the case snug against the back of my chair (wheels on the ground)and attached with bungees so that I can push & it can be pulled along behind. Chair is custom built for me (version of this - http://www.tilite.com/chairs_2gx.php#5 though I've got arm rests, and handles) which does make balance easier - I can sling a 10kg backpack of medical gear on the back without unbalancing myself too much (have to figure that one out next...lap maybe, or under chair, though my under chair bag is a PITA to get on and off for airport security...)

How do you go with bags over the armrests? I've seen them - or pictures of them anyway - but always thought they'd at best get really grubby (maybe that's just because I've got an inability to avoid puddles?) and at worst with a manual chair get stuck in spokes and/or make it impossible to push.

Mine were leather so easy clean.

Gosh, that's nifty...looks like it's not available yet (and only for rigid chairs when it does come out...gah), but reckon it's something I'll be keeping an eye on.

Under bum doesn't work for me...I can fit a wee bit under in a small bag, but not a square case because I've got the X frame of the folding chair...yet another reason I want a rigid ...though would make it harder to cruise - least with my folding I can get through standard doorways :rolleyes:

Get where you're coming from with the swivel. I think that's why though I was thinking of trying to have a 4 wheeled case that would sit snug against the chair - strapped so that it would have to move with the chair & not have the opportunity to movement independently or fall over (if that makes sense?) Though I do worry a bit that if I rely on that technique - especially with the number of times I've sat and watched them unload cases with less than due care :eek: - that I'll find myself at some point with a case minus a wheel or four and in a bit of a mess

I would check out better backpack makers. They often fit over the back push bars and come in a variety of sizes and uses. Tumi makes many that would fit everything needed for a long weekend or short cruise.

How do you get yourself through a standard cruise ship door if your chair is folded? Not to mention using the bathrooms onboard if you don't

book a HP cabin.

Gosh, that's nifty...looks like it's not available yet (and only for rigid chairs when it does come out...gah), but reckon it's something I'll be keeping an eye on.

Under bum doesn't work for me...I can fit a wee bit under in a small bag, but not a square case because I've got the X frame of the folding chair...yet another reason I want a rigid ...though would make it harder to cruise - least with my folding I can get through standard doorways :rolleyes:

Get where you're coming from with the swivel. I think that's why though I was thinking of trying to have a 4 wheeled case that would sit snug against the chair - strapped so that it would have to move with the chair & not have the opportunity to movement independently or fall over (if that makes sense?) Though I do worry a bit that if I rely on that technique - especially with the number of times I've sat and watched them unload cases with less than due care :eek: - that I'll find myself at some point with a case minus a wheel or four and in a bit of a mess

Yep I can picture what you are saying with the 4 wheeled case ,snuggly strapped to back of chair, with all 4 wheels on ground.That works and if its a cheap case, its well going to get knocked around, its a compromise.

But your idea, is good, it would actually add to the stability of the chair I'm guessing.

If its done like that, then you could strap another small bag,(ie) med bag to top of case.

Hope you have family or friends that can help you experiment a bit.:)

How do you get yourself through a standard cruise ship door if your chair is folded? Not to mention using the bathrooms onboard if you don't

book a HP cabin.

With great difficulty and a lot of stubbornness ;) I can walk a very short distance assisted - and cruising so far has been with family - so family member #1 folds chair while family member #2 gets me in/out of cabin. Similar process with bathroom - if someone helps me up that step, I can support myself around enough to get around/use a shower stool/use crutches enough to make do. Public bathrooms - no...! I did drag my poor brother into the ladies in a moment of desperation - only to hold the door :D - access was okay once I'd got through the insanely heavy door & Everest-like threshold (all labeled accessible mind you) ...but I'm adaptable and still being able to walk those few steps makes all the difference.

I'd not cruise without family I don't think - .but both these trips are otherwise...air travel only, and provided airline doesn't manage to break or lose my chair I'll be right.

Will see if I can find some backpacks to check out here...is that what you use? My only worry there is that I'm assuming the bottom of the pack would have to clear the ground? (I've seen a few wheeled/convertible packs online, but I think they'd still hang clear rather than roll) How do you get it on/off the back of the chair? I'm strong, and done a lot of shoulder girdle/upper body specific muscle work, but I'm pretty sure I'd be adding to my shoulder problems lifting a heavy bag on/off the back - and shifting a bag without my weight in the chair to counterbalance I'm interested to know how it'd done without the chair tipping...this is why I'm looking to advice from the pros :) Not a newbie to chairs - but independent travel is a big new thing for me.

Edited by LokiPoki

I'd be very uncomfortable with something tied behind my wc travelling solo for 2 reasons:

- not everyone in the world is honest and something of potential value out of my direct line of sight could be an irresistible temptation

- airline security asks everyone at several points if your luggage has ever been out of your sight. Again, *if* someone with malevolent intent happened to be at the same airport at the same time and saw my bag toddling along behind me ...

Just more points to consider.

I'd be very uncomfortable with something tied behind my wc travelling solo for 2 reasons:

- not everyone in the world is honest and something of potential value out of my direct line of sight could be an irresistible temptation

- airline security asks everyone at several points if your luggage has ever been out of your sight. Again, *if* someone with malevolent intent happened to be at the same airport at the same time and saw my bag toddling along behind me ...

Just more points to consider.

Thanks. Good points also...my suitcase does always stay locked unless I'm getting something in/out of it - which at least (I hope) would delay someone with less than honest intentions. When I have to carry a backpack hooked over my handles - not often, for the very reason you've mentioned - any valuables go underneath, or in zipper pockets on my person - I never stop in an open space unless I have no alternative...always back myself against a wall or into a corner so that nobody can get behind me & get a pocket open or slash a strap. That sounds a bit sad and cynical...I do think the majority of people are honest...but I'm also not stupid & not going to make myself more a target than I already am.

What do you do?

I don't travel solo. lol

I also don't own a travel scooter. I am frantically researching them and I am torn about the ones that have a place for a suitcase to ride behind you, for just these reasons. I could have DH walk behind me but he is very easily distractable. Bottom line is, I just don't have any great solution to offer.