Libya situation?

seasoned

I'll be onboard Insignia from 11/7 to 11/27. Does anyone have news on the Libyan situation? Is Oceanian resolving the matter before Regatta sails on 11/5? Will U.S. passengers be allowed to get off the ship in Benghazi and Tripoli?

A lot of questions....Thank you to anyone who can provide reliable info!

This from the CC site:

November 1, 2005

Libya Off Limits To Americans?

Libya, the hottest new exotic port in this fall's cruise ship arsenal, is suddenly off limits to Americans. According to a missive from Oceania Cruises, sent to passengers preparing to board Regatta (which was slated to make the line's maiden call there this week), a revised itinerary is planned just in case the issue hampering U.S. citizens' visits there isn't resolved.

Long story short: The Oceania letter says that "we have just been informed by our port agent in Libya that in recent weeks the governments of the United States and Libya have been feuding because, apparently, the U.S. denied entry into the United States to a Libyan diplomat." In a purely retaliatory move, reports Oceania's Tim Rubacky, ships calling at either Benghazi or Tripoli -- the key Libyan ports -- can disembark non-American passengers; U.S. travelers must stay onboard.

On its part, Oceania plans to replace the calls if the embargo against U.S. tourists is still underway. Other cruise lines, such as Silversea and Orient Lines, reportedly did make scheduled stops there -- and Americans were kept onboard though calls to spokespeople at both lines for confirmation were not returned.

This is the third time a political issue in the Mediterranean that has absolutely nothing to do with travelers, U.S. or otherwise, has impacted cruise passengers. In October, a strike by ferry workers in Marseilles hampered cruise calls there and at Corsica. Just last week, a strike in Spain by fisherman over fuel prices resulted in major disruption of embarkation and disembarkation for ships such as Crystal Serenity and Royal Caribbean's Brilliance of the Seas.

As of now, Oceania is trying to either work out the kinks or substitue ports. One port in consideration is Alexandria, Egypt, however, Visas are required and there isn't enough time to get them in some instances.

As far as the Regatta's Nov 5th sailing, most of those passengers have NO clue what's happeneing since they've already left for their pre-cruise stay.

I hope it all works out. Oceania is being proactive and assigning some "sweet" upgrades with hopes of deterring any bashing onboard. Of course, there isn't much they can do in a situation like this. Good luck to all of you!

I appreciate the replies.

The State Dept. site lists nothing new, no mention of this recent incident that I can find, and no travel warnings re Libya.

Perhaps someone onboard the Regatta will keep us posted here...

I hope it all works out. Oceania is being proactive and assigning some "sweet" upgrades with hopes of deterring any bashing onboard. Of course, there isn't much they can do in a situation like this. Good luck to all of you!

The upgrades being assigned have nothing to do with the Libya situation..It is the oversold situation causing the upgrades...

Jan

I appreciate the replies.

The State Dept. site lists nothing new, no mention of this recent incident that I can find, and no travel warnings re Libya.

Perhaps someone onboard the Regatta will keep us posted here...

Of course you wouldn't read anything on the State Dept's website, since it is embarrassing to the lapdog of the American-Atlantic aggression alliance. ;) If you can read Arabic, perhaps you can see if the Brother Leader of the Revolution has made any public statements: http://www.libyanpress.com/.

In the meantime, I've emailed an inquiry to the head of the Libyan Liaison office here in DC to see whether he can shed any light on the conflict.

Thank you, drwong! My Arabic phrasebook is just no help at all at the Libyan Press site. I hope you'll let us know what the LL office has to say (in English, I hope).

See you on the Insignia, 18 November, Horizons, port corner. I've got my fingers crossed that we will be sailing happily on our way to Benghazi.

The upgrades being assigned have nothing to do with the Libya situation..It is the oversold situation causing the upgrades...

perhaps you meant undersold???? I have to agree with the other poster about being confused regarding an oversold situation creating upgrades. Spinning classes??

I don't personally now about this case, but certainly oversold airplanes result in upgrades on another flight for passengers who are bumped or volunteer to give up their seats. Perhaps passengers on the oversold ship are being offered upgrades if they will agree to switch to a different itinerary. Or maybe Jan meant undersold when she said oversold. I'm just having a hard time imagining an Oceania ship being undersold.

Hi,

The Insignia was only about 70% full. So they offered upgrades a month ago for $100-200 per person. This week, they just started upgrading people to some very nice cabins.

This late in the game, the cruiselines would have trouble moving people from one international flight to another since this would create a penalty with the airline tickets.

The Libya itin for 2006 seems to be selling ok, but this year... maybe it was just too soon for some people to go there.

Anyways, my friends who were in a Cat E will enjoy their Vista Suite!

I was a bit sorry that I was not on this cruise. I get all the mailings from Oceania and got the one for Libya. I just spent 2 months on the Pacific Princess so that was not posible. On board I met someone that will be on it just because of the Libya stop. I am now glad that I an not onboard. I do feel for all of you who had planed this cruise just because of the stops in Libya.

I will be on the PO's Atemis next Nov. That will stop in Libya as well as Beirut, Lebanon. Hopefully all will be better by then. Then again maybe this will clear up in a few days. If they pull things like that you will see other cruise lines cancel their stops in places that are not reliable. It is very expensive to change the plans soon soon. Anyway very few ships stop in Tangiers. Not the greatest place but still not a place many cruisers visit. Overnighting in cadiz will allow people to overnight in Seville. A very nice city to spend some time in. A visit to on of the Flamingo clubs is a must.

Haven't heard from any of the CruiseCritic regulars who are aboard the Regatta - according to the original schedule, they should have pulled out of Benghazi by now - but I suspect they're adhering to the alternative itinerary. (I was too busy today to check the Regatta's webcam).

We received our travel documents in the mail and they still list the old itinerary - I guess we won't know for sure until we board the ship! But at least Oceania has assured me that they're taking care of Egyptian visas for all of us, without the usual "convenience fee." I don't know yet whether this will require us to utilize one of Oceania's guided tours or whether it would allow us to travel independently, but at this late in the game and with this much uncertainty in the schedule, I'm not going to hire any private guides ahead of time!

My husband and I are among those unhappy about Libya being in question. In fact, my travel agent is out of town so if any upgrades are coming, I guess we miss out. I just spoke with Global Exchange who sent a tour group into Libya around Nov 3 (left San Fran Nov 2). They said they had no problem. I hope Oceania is not doing this to drum up business for a partially sold ship. We went to Yemen in 1999 and half the ship bailed because some French tourists who wandered far from the safe trail got shot. I also don't think it is right to give you two days in Egypt for three in Libya. Not to mention they happily took our money for the tours in Libya AFTER knowing it was in question. I am afraid Marseilles may also be out - riots there. People ask us where we are going on our cruise and I have to say we have no idea! At any rate, we would like to share some shore excursions with folks like us who hate handicraft shops. We leave for Europe on 11/10 so see you on board.

wrote in part:

Not to mention they happily took our money for the tours in Libya AFTER knowing it was in question.

They will certainly refund it if the ship and/ or tours don't go there, so you

really do not have to fret about that.

Just too bad that the situation is so bad and what sounded like a most interesting port of call on the itinerary can't be visited.

We are in Tirana, Albania, a very easy city to get around. We visited the embassy of Libya today and spoke to the chief consul Ali Mohammed Geensh regarding Americans visiting Libya. He expressed extreme surprise at the report that cruise ships were not allowed to disembark Americans. He called the embassy in Athens who contacted Tripoli for him. The word is no Americans will be denied entry IF the cruise ship company has its group visa. Do you suppose that was the real problem - Oceania did not get the visa like it promised? We, in fact, could have gotten a personal visa from him just for us - if we go there, it would be nice to have such a visa so we could go around Tripoli without a cruise tour. However, we are not going to listen to a bunch of excuses from Oceania of why we are not going to Libya. There appears to be no good reason for us not to go there. The war is on, folks, and we are armed. Libya or a refund.

Libya -- one of the industry’s hottest destinations this year -- continues to lose cruise business because of a political dispute with the U.S. Half a dozen operators have dropped calls after being notified that U.S. citizens would not be allowed ashore following a spat between the U.S. and Libyan governments.

Maltese agent Samuel Mifsud, director of SMS Travel & Tourism -- which handles Libyan calls for Oceania Cruises, Silversea Cruises and Orient Lines –- was informed that no blanket visas for American cruise passengers will be issued. ‘So far four Oceania calls, two Silversea and one call of Marco Polo have been canceled,’ he told Seatrade Insider.

Discovery World Cruises has been able to assist some U.S. passengers in obtaining individual travel visas in advance of their cruise. Americans with individual visas have been assured they will be allowed off the ship, said Discovery World vp Mark Flager.

Maria Mifsud, director of Libya Cruise Services, said Swan Hellenic’s Minerva II recently called with 48 U.S. and 550 European citizens. The Americans were not allowed ashore. Ships that have diverted include Sea Cloud ll, Marco Polo, Le Ponant, Le Levant, Silver Wind and Regatta.

Oceania spokesman Tim Rubacky said his company was told the spat broke out when the U.S. denied entry to a Libyan diplomat. 'As a retaliatory move, the Libyan government is denying visas for U.S. citizens,' Rubacky said.

Oceania’s Regatta had been scheduled to call in Tripoli and Benghazi this week. The cancellation caused some hard feelings on board, mostly because some guests apparently had not received advance notice of the decision Oceania emailed and faxed to customers and travel agents on Oct. 28, Rubacky said. He added: 'Overall, there's a level of disappointment because Libya had been the focus of this voyage.'

For Insignia's Nov. 17 cruise from Athens to Barcelona, Oceania will replace Libya with a two-day visit to Alexandria.

Silversea replaced Tripoli and Benghazi with Tartous, Syria, and Beirut, Lebanon. 'Prior to last week's voyage, we operated three very successful calls to Libya earlier in the summer,' said Silversea spokesman Brad Ball, who was aboard the recent cruise. He said most guests were 'very pleased with the ports that we substituted.'

The sailing was Silversea's last scheduled visit to Libya in 2005. 'No decision has been made for the nine voyages that we have planned for Libya in 2006,' Ball told Seatrade Insider.

Oceania’s Rubacky said his company expects a resolution of the dispute and eagerly anticipates returning to Libya. He added: ‘Our three cruises to Libya in 2006 are selling extremely well.’

I am wondering if Oceania needs to look into a change in agents. I would want to check with Global Exchange to see if they used group visas since their group just got in, no problem. However, it takes them a while to respond. I am not sure it makes sense that individuals can get in but not groups. I thought we were sold the story that the only way we could get in was with a group. Now it turns out individuals can go. Also, my new best friend in Albania offered to get me a visa that day. Just a matter of money honey. If we go to Egypt, I intend to buy an individual visa. Not getting stuck again with monstrously expensive tours. We have been there before and you can get them upon entry. I am just seeing so many holes in the Oceania story. If individual visas were available for Libya, we would pay the difference. We have spent a lot of money on this trip only to face disappointment. I am wondering if others feel the same.

Karen

Archived