New cabin decorating rules

firemanbobswife

A lot of schools, office buildings, and other public places have similar restrictions. So if you Google, you should find some. I know we have purchased a lot of flame retardant Christmas decorations for hotels.

A lot of trade show halls also often require flame retardant materials. If you google flame retardant poster board or paper, you will find that they do make it, BUT it is expensive. Like $40.00 to $60.00 for a roll.

Good luck.

As someone else noted, I'm not sure how they will determine is something is fire retardant?

My family is going on our first Carnival cruise in November. We heard about Carnival only allowing flame retardant materials on their doors.

I researched lamination plastic and nothing found. Do you think Carnival will band laminated paper to put on doors? I made several cute ones for my family.

I talked to a Carnival cruise rep, and they could not answer my question.

Thanks

Maurice

Which only complicates the subject matter even more is the fact that this is another one of those "Carnival universal polices" that are implemented on a ship by ship basis...some ships abide by this particular rule, others don't. This is much aligned with the formal dress code, chair hogs, people saving places upfront in the Main Lounge for the stage shows, etc. WTH??? Apply a universal policy so that ALL of us Carnival cruisers know what's up! SMDH!

My family is going on our first Carnival cruise in November. We heard about Carnival only allowing flame retardant materials on their doors.

I researched lamination plastic and nothing found. Do you think Carnival will band laminated paper to put on doors? I made several cute ones for my family.

I talked to a Carnival cruise rep, and they could not answer my question.

Thanks

Maurice

I'm wondering the same thing. We are leaving on Nov 5th which I believe will be the first cruise out of Galveston that will be implementing these new guidelines. I have a lamenating machine at work and could easily run my cardstock type door decorations through there and lamenate them. I already use magnets and command strips to hang them, so that part is not a problem. Hopefully, that will make them okay?

Edited by patchofheaven

I'm wondering the same thing. We are leaving on Nov 5th which I believe will be the first cruise out of Galveston that will be implementing these new guidelines. I have a lamenating machine at work and could easily run my cardstock type door decorations through there and lamenate them. I already use magnets and command strips to hang them, so that part is not a problem. Hopefully, that will make them okay?

I'm thinking that unless the laminating process makes them fire resistant, then they will be taking them down.

I'm thinking that unless the laminating process makes them fire resistant, then they will be taking them down.

If they don't notify you then how would someone know if they have been taken down by Carnival or just stolen? :confused:

Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe they will leave a note or the RS will notify you. I have no idea.

Last year a friend was approached by her RS. He was very apologetic but told her the door decorations would need to be removed. His supervisor informed him they were in violation of the policy. He didn't want to discard the banner as he thought she might like to keep it.

She took the issue to guest services/ housekeeping supervisor because it was not in violation. She had the information regarding the materials being fire retardant and everything was affixed to the door with command hooks.

She was allow to keep her deco in place.

I kept thinking that is was really unfair that the room steward was left to police and enforce such things. Their compensation, is in part, dependent upon the good will of the passengers assigned to them. If the housekeeping supervisor felt it was a violation they should have contacted the passenger. So in this case the steward notified the pax.

Additionally:

Like it or not, Carnivals ship / Carnivals rules. If you don't follow the rules you need to be own the consequences. I would just like things to be enforce equally across the fleet. (and this goes way beyond door decorations)

Last year a friend was approached by her RS. He was very apologetic but told her the door decorations would need to be removed. His supervisor informed him they were in violation of the policy. He didn't want to discard the banner as he thought she might like to keep it.

She took the issue to guest services/ housekeeping supervisor because it was not in violation. She had the information regarding the materials being fire retardant and everything was affixed to the door with command hooks.

She was allow to keep her deco in place.

I kept thinking that is was really unfair that the room steward was left to police and enforce such things. Their compensation, is in part, dependent upon the good will of the passengers assigned to them. If the housekeeping supervisor felt it was a violation they should have contacted the passenger. So in this case the steward notified the pax.

Additionally:

Like it or not, Carnivals ship / Carnivals rules. If you don't follow the rules you need to be own the consequences. I would just like things to be enforce equally across the fleet. (and this goes way beyond door decorations)

I wonder then if they will just eventually go to no decorations at all since it seems super difficult to determine the fire retardant vs the non fire retardant ones.

I wonder if this is a transition to the eventual "no decorations or over-the-door hangers unless purchased from the Fun Shops" policy. It's funny that all this is discussed on John's "page" and then new regulations come out (sometimes with an extra fee attached). I've quit answering his questions and I suggest everyone else does, too!

Edited by silverpenguin

Well, here is the answer to my previous question. From a thread by moderator Laura:

(2:27 p.m. EST) -- Over-the-door shoe holders, long used in cabins by cruisers to organize everything from toiletries to jewelry, can still be used aboard Carnival Cruise Line ships -- but with stipulations. Line representative Vance Gulliksen says, "they may only be used if they are a fire retardant material and do not damage the door," adding that they must also be hung on the inside of the cabin, rather than facing out into the hallway.

Where in the heck do you get a fire retardant door hanger. :eek::eek::eek:

Patti

A lot of schools, office buildings, and other public places have similar restrictions. So if you Google, you should find some. I know we have purchased a lot of flame retardant Christmas decorations for hotels.

A lot of trade show halls also often require flame retardant materials. If you google flame retardant poster board or paper, you will find that they do make it, BUT it is expensive. Like $40.00 to $60.00 for a roll.

Good luck.

As someone else noted, I'm not sure how they will determine is something is fire retardant?

I,did a search for fire retardant party supplies and found some reasonably priced ones. I do not know how the stewards are going to know which decorations are retardant and which ones are not.

I wonder then if they will just eventually go to no decorations at all since it seems super difficult to determine the fire retardant vs the non fire retardant ones.

I would guess it is more likely they are coming up with a defensible reason to make it hard to bring your own decorations, thereby coercing more people to buy decorations from them.

I,did a search for fire retardant party supplies and found some reasonably priced ones. I do not know how the stewards are going to know which decorations are retardant and which ones are not.

please tell me the website - Everything that I have found is ridiculously expensive. Well, I say this because most of my door decorations came from the Dollar Store. ;)

• 10 months later...

There is quite a bit of info out there for flame retardant craft supplies, also many companies who customize for you will know if they are flame retardant. https://www.google.com/search?q=flame+retardant+decorations&rlz=1C1VFKB_enUS644US644&oq=flame+retardant+decorations&aqs=chrome..69i57.6245j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Just know they are costly, so maybe invest in re-usuables :)