Port Everglades - walking to terminal 2

Packman1000

We are renting a car pre-cruise and I want to use the car on the day of departure to go to terminal 2 and drop our luggage and my wife. Then I plan to take the car back to Enterprise (on 26th and Federal) and walk back to the terminal via 24th street. Google maps says it's less than 2 miles. We have already once walked into Port Everglades from 17th street, but I don't know if you can walk in on 24th street? Can anybody tell me if that is possible?

Thanks

We are renting a car pre-cruise and I want to use the car on the day of departure to go to terminal 2 and drop our luggage and my wife. Then I plan to take the car back to Enterprise (on 26th and Federal) and walk back to the terminal via 24th street. Google maps says it's less than 2 miles. We have already once walked into Port Everglades from 17th street, but I don't know if you can walk in on 24th street? Can anybody tell me if that is possible?

Thanks

My first question is: Won't Enterprise give you a ride to the port?

And yes, 24th Street (aka SR 84/Marina Mile) is mostly a divided boulevard that is walk-able.

Enterprise told me that they cannot give rides into the cruise port (don't know why). I like to walk, would not have any luggage, and don't want to wait for a cab or Uber. I think I could walk in faster. It's a winter cruise so temps and humidity aren't a factor. I just didn't know if one can walk through security and if there are sidewalks along my route.

Enterprise told me that they cannot give rides into the cruise port (don't know why). I like to walk, would not have any luggage, and don't want to wait for a cab or Uber. I think I could walk in faster. It's a winter cruise so temps and humidity aren't a factor. I just didn't know if one can walk through security and if there are sidewalks along my route.

You'll have to show ID at the guard shack to get into the port. It's not that bad of a walk, just watch out for truck traffic.

Thanks

I think it’s a very bad idea to walk and here’s why. First, you’ll need to carry your ID along with your cruise documents, otherwise you will not get through security. Don’t fool yourself, it can be both hot and humid in South Florida during the winter. Our AC is on during the winter for a reason. Walking to the Port from the 17th St. entrance is completely different from State Road 84 entrance. This is where all the petroleum companies are located and you’ll be dodging gas tankers the whole way. Plus, there are very few sidewalk. The Port is not a walk-friendly area. You will be dirty and sweaty by the time you get to Terminal 2. That’s no way to start a fantastic cruise vacation. Enterprise is close to the airport and port, believe me there are plenty of Urber drivers in the area. If you waited 5 minutes for a driver, I’d be shocked. Please don’t walk.

Edited by Alioop1

I think it’s a very bad idea to walk and here’s why. First, you’ll need to carry your ID along with your cruise documents, otherwise you will not get through security. Don’t fool yourself, it can be both hot and humid in South Florida during the winter. Our AC is on during the winter for a reason. Walking to the Port from the 17th St. entrance is completely different from State Road 84 entrance. This is where all the petroleum companies are located and you’ll be dodging gas tankers the whole way. Plus, there are very few sidewalk. The Port is not a walk-friendly area. You will be dirty and sweaty by the time you get to Terminal 2. That’s no way to start a fantastic cruise vacation. Enterprise is close to the airport and port, believe me there are plenty of Urber drivers in the area. If you waited 5 minutes for a driver, I’d be shocked. Please don’t walk.

Nah...24th is a wide, wide boulevard with a new sidewalk the entire length (north side) all the way to Eisenhower, so anyone with one eye and half sense can stay out of the way of tractor trailers. Once you get to Eisenhower the sidewalk is on the east side and is actually a scenic walk. If he was going to Terminal 22 I would agree, but the short distance to Terminal 2 is an easy walk.

And I don't know of anyone who doesn't carry their driver license on them, so taking your boarding pass along is no big deal. I've walked from Terminal 2 to 17th Street on back to back cruises several times and all the guard ever wanted to see was my ID.

Just go to Google Maps, switch to Earth View and zoom in on the route...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Port+Everglades,+Hollywood,+FL+33316/@26.0929582,-80.1248381,50m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88d9006eb9c72e23:0x17714a5f043362d6!8m2!3d26.0937112!4d-80.1246643

The last time I drove into the port, I think that the security gates were beyond terminal 2. They are really there to guard things other than the cruise ships. Anyway, you can absolutely walk through the security gates.

I cannot imagine how anyone could walk faster than it would take to ride an Uber for 2 miles, and the Uber ride is probably just about $5. If you ask them to take US1 to 17th St and drop you off just outside the port at Walgreens or the convention center, they can't charge the port surcharge either.

Edited by royalcruz

The last time I drove into the port, I think that the security gates were beyond terminal 2. They are really there to guard things other than the cruise ships. Anyway, you can absolutely walk through the security gates.

I cannot imagine how anyone could walk faster than it would take to ride an Uber for 2 miles, and the Uber ride is probably just about $5. If you ask them to take US1 to 17th St and drop you off just outside the port at Walgreens or the convention center, they can't charge the port surcharge either.

Yes, a couple months ago they moved the guard shack past the entrance to the Convention Center and Terminal 2. I guess the guards got tired of screening all the convention attendees.

The Enterprise location he is talking about is one block from the SR 84 entrance. Only the Mercedes Dealership is between Enterprise and 84 so going to the 17th Street/Eisenhower entrance would be going the long way around the barn.

Edited by Lido_Deck

My concern with Uber is that I would have to wait longer for the ride to arrive than it would take me to walk, especially that it is the usual super busy Sunday in Fort Lauderdale with something like 10 ships in port. I've never used Uber, so I don't know what the wait times are. I suppose I could get Enterprise to take me to the gate off 17th street and walk from there since it's much closer to terminal 2.

Thanks for the responses. I'll have to see what the car rental people can offer to me. It's funny that Enterprise won't drop me at the ship, since Hertz said they would (but Hertz charges more for the car).

My concern with Uber is that I would have to wait longer for the ride to arrive than it would take me to walk, especially that it is the usual super busy Sunday in Fort Lauderdale with something like 10 ships in port. I've never used Uber, so I don't know what the wait times are. I suppose I could get Enterprise to take me to the gate off 17th street and walk from there since it's much closer to terminal 2.

Thanks for the responses. I'll have to see what the car rental people can offer to me. It's funny that Enterprise won't drop me at the ship, since Hertz said they would (but Hertz charges more for the car).

You'll have the advantage of driving the route before you walk it. It's an easy walk for someone used to walking. Just hope it isn't raining that day.

Have Enterprise take you to 17th and Eisenhower. Terminal 2 is just a very short distance from there. I've taken the route a few times.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Have Enterprise take you to 17th and Eisenhower. Terminal 2 is just a very short distance from there. I've taken the route a few times.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

Upon further review...There is an Enterprise location inside the Hilton Marina on 17th Street that I was unaware of. You can drop the car off there and they can run you to the convention center (if you don't feel like walking to Terminal 2), but they are not authorized to enter the port, which now that the guard shack has moved south past the convention center/Terminal 2 entrance they are not.

Problem solved!

Enterprise Rent-A-Car

1881 Se 17th St

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316

+1 954-618-4030

Upon further review...There is an Enterprise location inside the Hilton Marina on 17th Street that I was unaware of. You can drop the car off there and they can run you to the convention center (if you don't feel like walking to Terminal 2), but they are not authorized to enter the port, which now that the guard shack has moved south past the convention center/Terminal 2 entrance they are not.

Problem solved!

Enterprise Rent-A-Car

1881 Se 17th St

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316

+1 954-618-4030

Thanks Lido, I'll check out that location for Enterprise.