TV HDMI and USB key

FeelingCruisy

Last time when we were on Celebrity, I've gotten hold of a code that could reset the TV so that it was able to read from my USB key. Unfortunately, we couldn't undo it and thankfully we weren't charged for the extra maintenance guys coming in to fix it! On our upcoming cruise, I do not plan to use these codes again, but I remember reading in the past on here that you could somehow trick the TV to read HDMI or USB but a series of plug in and turn on and offs. Anyone have a clue? Also don't forget to include how to undo it! Thanks much!

If you bring a universal programmable remote and the book of codes you can program for the brand of tv in your room, then its as easy as menu, input, note which input is highlighted for when you are done then just highlight hdmi1 or USB , when you are done put it back to where it was when you first accessed input.

If you bring a universal programmable remote and the book of codes you can program for the brand of tv in your room, then its as easy as menu, input, note which input is highlighted for when you are done then just highlight hdmi1 or USB , when you are done put it back to where it was when you first accessed input.

Can't count on this as the alternate inputs are often disabled. There are ways to get around this - but they are typically fairly involved.

If the inputs are not disabled, there is a good chance that the physical button on the TV that allows you to change inputs will work as well. This was the case on our last few cruises. No special remote necessary. Just plug and push.

Mike

Can't count on this as the alternate inputs are often disabled. There are ways to get around this - but they are typically fairly involved.

If the inputs are not disabled, there is a good chance that the physical button on the TV that allows you to change inputs will work as well. This was the case on our last few cruises. No special remote necessary. Just plug and push.

Mike

yeah we've tried this, never been successful at this.

I've a samsung TV, can I use this remote? Not sure if I can find a universal remote, but I'm sure there's one lying around somewhere if needed.. Also what is this book of codes? Thanks

Any place that sells tv's will sell universal remotes (Walmart , best-buy for example) they are $6.00 up to 150.00 but you only need a cheap one. The remote will usually come with a booklet listing every make and model of tv made and give you a four number code to enter to make it work with the tv you are looking up, this way works every time for my last 5 cruises as well as all my land based hotel vacations (8 or 9) I am doing it to view pictures from diving but streaming is the same. The tv buttons can be disabled as well as the limited remote you get in your stateroom, my $8.00 universal remote has not failed to work once and if it gets damaged I can easily get a new one.,

This past July, any time I needed / wanted to watch something from my iPad, I just unplugged the Celebrity HDMI (which the TV off) and plugged in the HDMI from my iPad

It worked great - then reverse process to go back - I had to power cycle (unplug power) the TV once to fix an audio setting - otherwise this was the easiest thing to do.

This past July, any time I needed / wanted to watch something from my iPad, I just unplugged the Celebrity HDMI (which the TV off) and plugged in the HDMI from my iPad

It worked great - then reverse process to go back - I had to power cycle (unplug power) the TV once to fix an audio setting - otherwise this was the easiest thing to do.

Correct it is that simple. The only problem not all ships use HDMI some use DVI. From memory Silhouette is HDMI while Equinox is DVI. But, your are correct just unplug the HDMI that the TV is using and plug in your own HDMI cable. The remote of the TV will also work for volume.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

• 4 months later...
Correct it is that simple. The only problem not all ships use HDMI some use DVI. From memory Silhouette is HDMI while Equinox is DVI. But, your are correct just unplug the HDMI that the TV is using and plug in your own HDMI cable. The remote of the TV will also work for volume.

Regards,

Kevin Reid

Our cabin on Eclipse last year was using the VGA port to link to the Apple TV box. All other ports were disabled. I've now bought an HDMI to VGA adaptor for net time.

Our cabin on Eclipse last year was using the VGA port to link to the Apple TV box. All other ports were disabled. I've now bought an HDMI to VGA adaptor for net time.

So then you don't also need the universal remote if you have the adaptor? And, it allows you to view pix from your laptop or stream a movie from laptop or tablet, is that correct?

So then you don't also need the universal remote if you have the adaptor? And, it allows you to view pix from your laptop or stream a movie from laptop or tablet, is that correct?

If you use HDMI => VGA or DVI, there is no sound transferred so that will have to come from the device speakers and not the TV ones, unless you use seperate devie => TV cables and the TV sound inputs work..

If you use HDMI => VGA or DVI, there is no sound transferred so that will have to come from the device speakers and not the TV ones, unless you use seperate devie => TV cables and the TV sound inputs work..

Ah ha! Thanks for the education. Much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Any place that sells tv's will sell universal remotes (Walmart , best-buy for example) they are $6.00 up to 150.00 but you only need a cheap one. The remote will usually come with a booklet listing every make and model of tv made and give you a four number code to enter to make it work with the tv you are looking up.

Which makes it fun at an airport bar to change the TV channel to one you want to watch.

FeelingCruisy,

DiverJohn is absolutely correct in his posts here. You don't program the TV you tell it which input to use. I believe most TV's on Celebrity are Samsung. What you want to change is the source. This can be done manually, if it can be done at all. I have done this on many Royal and Celebrity TV's. If you don't mind NOT using the USB stick/port, then do as pl281 or pops7272 suggested just pull out that connector and swap it with yours. I don't remember if Celebrity uses a coax cable or HDMI as their cable source.

Last time when we were on Celebrity, I've gotten hold of a code that could reset the TV so that it was able to read from my USB key. Unfortunately, we couldn't undo it and thankfully we weren't charged for the extra maintenance guys coming in to fix it! On our upcoming cruise, I do not plan to use these codes again, but I remember reading in the past on here that you could somehow trick the TV to read HDMI or USB but a series of plug in and turn on and offs. Anyone have a clue? Also don't forget to include how to undo it! Thanks much!

We are going on the Summit in May. I recently called X to ask if there were dvd players in the cabins. I was told No, but that if I brought my own dvd player, the maintenance/IT guys will help us "install" it and make it work. Not sure of the person on the phone knew what they were talking about, we are bringing the portable dvd player anyway. We like to watch a movie most nights when we return to the cabin for the night. But if it doesn't work out with the dvd player, I'm sure there's plenty else to do on the ship. Cheers!

No the adapter I got also has an 3.5mm audio out (and a short male-male cable):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q8TLC9A

We are going on the Summit in May. I recently called X to ask if there were dvd players in the cabins. I was told No, but that if I brought my own dvd player, the maintenance/IT guys will help us "install" it and make it work. Not sure of the person on the phone knew what they were talking about, we are bringing the portable dvd player anyway. We like to watch a movie most nights when we return to the cabin for the night. But if it doesn't work out with the dvd player, I'm sure there's plenty else to do on the ship. Cheers!

When I asked the cabin steward he said it wasn't possible. Also asked the technician in the iLounge and he said it wasn't possible.

When I asked the cabin steward he said it wasn't possible. Also asked the technician in the iLounge and he said it wasn't possible.

It's possible - I've watched them do it. They just may not be willing to. However, lately we've been lucky and there have been active HDMI ports for us.