Emotional Support Animals

johhnnyt

Yes. There's a lot of paperwork required to bring a service or emotional support dog. on board The paperwork and documentation varies from Port of Call to Port of Call if the individual is planning to take the dog off the ship. Anyone who falsely claims that their pet is an emotional support or service dog really must want that dog along as can't believe anyone would go through all the time and effort to complete /obtain all the paperwork /documentation if it was not a legitimate service dog.. but people do unbelievable things .

Was recently on a cruise that a passenger had gone off the ship with their legitimate service dog and had submitted all the necessary documentation to the cruise line prior to the cruise within the required time period. The cruise line than in turn must submit that paperwork to the local authorities so that the dog could exit the ship at that port of call. The paperwork was logged into the ships security and the dog was allowed to exit the ship. However a customs agent came back on board to speak with the a high ranking officer as the cruise lines failed to submit the paperwork to the local custom authorities prior to docking. The service dog was not permitted to leave the dock area until the all the documentation was sorted out.

Thank you.

Pete

FYI animals on aircrafts are not restricted to service and or emotional support animals. If fact most US Air Carriers allow domesticated cats, dogs, rabbits and household birds (excluding cockatoos) to travel accompanied in the ai cabin on most flights within the U.S. An in-cabin pet may be carried in addition to a carry-on bag and is subject to a a service charge each way.

A pet traveling in cabin must be carried in an approved hard-sided or soft-sided kennel. The kennel must fit completely under the seat in front of the customer and remain there at all times. With the exception of birds, there may only be one pet per kennel, and the animal must be able to stand up and turn around comfortably. Most air carriers allow two birds to travel in the same kennel.

Additionally though ADA does not recognize Emotional and or Comfort Dogs as Services Animals it really doesn't matter when it comes to USA Airlines. Most people aren't aware that USA Airlines are regulated by the The Air Carrier Access Act of 1986 (ACAA). ACAA acknowledges Emotional Support Dogs provided they have the necessary documents from a Medical Professional showing that it was medically prescribed.

Not sure what clarification you are making to my post unless I didn't make myself clear that I understand there is a difference between an emotional support animal flying free and one that the owner pays to fly. I get the difference. My point was to address the $60 comment that anyone can bring their animal onboard by paying this 'emotional service animal' fee which is not true, documentation from a medical professional is required by the airlines. I know a pet flying with it's owner on a paid ticket has to fit into a carrier, etc. Also I wanted those allergic to know they should call ahead to find out if any pets are on their flight as a reservation for PAID flying pets has to be made and they can find out if any will be flying with them. There is no way to know ahead if a service animal will be onboard. It's the chance you take these days. End of my point.

Those that have no emotional problems can't begin to understand how much support one of these animals provides for those that struggle in life.

ESAs are not welcome on cruise ships.

Wanna bet? I've been on more cruises that I can count where people have brought their pets on board a ship claiming that the dog is a emotional support animal. On my latest cruise, there was a woman who had her Yorkie in a baby stroller, pushing it all around the ship. She said she just can't leave her "baby" home, so she just tells people that it's an ESA. On the cruise before this, a couple had their Maltese on board telling the cruise line that the dog saved their life from a fire and they refuse to leave her at home when they travel.

As for airlines, it sucks for people like me who are allergic to animals. I was flying first class when a woman boarded with her cat, in a carrier. The flight attendant told the woman that the cat must remain in the carrier throughout the 3 hour flight. Well, the woman didn't listen, and as I was dozing, I felt a set of paws on my head. The woman let the cat out of the carrier and she fell asleep and the cat began to crawl around. But what really made me angry was how the flight attendant handled things. Basically, she ignored that the cat was out of the carrier until I made a stink about it. The woman claimed that her poor baby can't stand being kept in a carrier so she needs to keep him out. If that's the case, leave the damn cat at home or better yet, tell the owner to stay home.

Edited by kitty9

• 2 weeks later...
Wanna bet? I've been on more cruises that I can count where people have brought their pets on board a ship claiming that the dog is a emotional support animal. On my latest cruise, there was a woman who had her Yorkie in a baby stroller, pushing it all around the ship. She said she just can't leave her "baby" home, so she just tells people that it's an ESA. On the cruise before this, a couple had their Maltese on board telling the cruise line that the dog saved their life from a fire and they refuse to leave her at home when they travel.

As for airlines, it sucks for people like me who are allergic to animals. I was flying first class when a woman boarded with her cat, in a carrier. The flight attendant told the woman that the cat must remain in the carrier throughout the 3 hour flight. Well, the woman didn't listen, and as I was dozing, I felt a set of paws on my head. The woman let the cat out of the carrier and she fell asleep and the cat began to crawl around. But what really made me angry was how the flight attendant handled things. Basically, she ignored that the cat was out of the carrier until I made a stink about it. The woman claimed that her poor baby can't stand being kept in a carrier so she needs to keep him out. If that's the case, leave the damn cat at home or better yet, tell the owner to stay home.

I have a real issue on "Emotional Support Animals" to me it's a crock of B/S. If it's a "service" and I MEAN service animal, I'm fine with it. I have no problem shaming people who try to fake it. You can buy "service" animal labels, sweaters, whatever you want. I've even seen a law firm online telling you how to fake the documentation. I confronted a couple guys with a huge unruly dog in Sam's Club. The mgt. there (and in MANY places)are too chicken @#$%$ to challenge these fakers. Well, I'm NOT. Threatening to call the cops on these guys in Sam's Club got them heading out the door real fast. I told a woman with her "snuggly" little rat of a dog about the $2000 fine & 6 months in jail(not true, wish it was!!) for faking service dogs & that I was about to call the cops. She took off out of that grocery store real quick. Thanks to our "STUPID" Government & their damned "P/C" policy, it's made it a haven for the fraudsters out there. One way a company can make someone leave the store/place of business is to ask "What service does your animal provide?"(not the same as asking the disability)If the person refuses to disclose the service the animal provides, you may then demand they leave the place of business. I'm beginning to see posted signs refusing admittance for "Emotional Support Animals". It's about damn time!

Was glad to see this. I'm sure there are people with genuine needs, but the last few years its been getting out of hand with people just bringing pets onboard, since nowadays you can get any pet a certificate making them an "emotional support animal" for $60. It's just not fair to the other passengers onboard

There should be room for exceptions though for people with genuine documented issues. Another case of people exploiting the open definitions for convenience, not need.

I agree with airlines (and hopefully cruiseships will follow)

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/emotional-support-animals-might-be-getting-kicked-off-flights-thanks-to-snakes-and-llamas-215404101.html

Maybe they could REQUIRE someone to have a letter from a professional maybe even require that it be a mental health professional. This way the people with genuine needs could have them, but you could not simply buy a piece pf paper that claims they need the animal.

Another issue is with service animals they can not asks a person what is their disability. If you WERE to require a letter like that then that would nullfy that.

That's the problem with the law..You CAN'T ask to have a certified letter from a health professional verify the need. This just allows for rampant fraud & it's totally the fault of those idiots in Washington & their damned P/C standards!

That's the problem with the law..You CAN'T ask to have a certified letter from a health professional verify the need. This just allows for rampant fraud & it's totally the fault of those idiots in Washington & their damned P/C standards!
But the problem is that the ADA states that I have a right ( happen to be disabled) I have the right to not tell you what disability I have. If I choose to that is my right, but if I do NOT want to you have no right to REQUIRE me to tell what my disability is. I personally do not have a service animal, but I DO have a wheelchair. Could people abuse that yes do they abuse it YES. Do I hate it when people abuse it YES, BUT, at the same time I understand that it is not fair to have people refuse to serve people with disabities it is neither legal nor moral.

I came up with a way to meet in the middle. What if, they required people to provide a note, BUT either not require or even not permit the note to state why. Have an actual doctor that is treating the person write the note, but say the person has PTSD they could not require you to tell that you have PTSD only require that you have the note to say that you have SOMETHING from which you benefit from an emotional support animal.

I came up with a way to meet in the middle. What if, they required people to provide a note, BUT either not require or even not permit the note to state why. Have an actual doctor that is treating the person write the note, but say the person has PTSD they could not require you to tell that you have PTSD only require that you have the note to say that you have SOMETHING from which you benefit from an emotional support animal.

That would be fine by me, but it HAS to be a certified physician, not some fake(which is all to prevalent)

But the problem is that the ADA states that I have a right ( happen to be disabled) I have the right to not tell you what disability I have. If I choose to that is my right, but if I do NOT want to you have no right to REQUIRE me to tell what my disability is. I personally do not have a service animal, but I DO have a wheelchair. Could people abuse that yes do they abuse it YES. Do I hate it when people abuse it YES, BUT, at the same time I understand that it is not fair to have people refuse to serve people with disabities it is neither legal nor moral.

The rights of the people inquiring? In the dumpster, I presume. The wheelchair abusers are FAR smaller than those who abuse the Service animal right. As a business owner, I DO have the right to ask "What service does your animal provide?" If you refuse, then I am in MY right to ask you to leave my premises. If you notice, I'm not asking the disability, I'm asking what service the animal provides. If the person refuses that request you can tell them to leave.

In fact, the solution is much simpler. As I haven't posted on this thread before, but have stated on other threads dealing with service animals and their fake counterparts, the ADA really does not pertain to foreign flag cruise ships. Yes, the cruise line has to provide accommodation to anyone, regardless of disability, and they need to make "reasonably attainable" changes to accessibility, but Spector v. NCL specifically states that the "internal policies and procedures" of a foreign flag cruise ship do not fall within the purview of the ADA.

Therefore, if CLIA would only come out with a set of "service animal behavior" guidelines, much as they do in the ticket contract for passengers, then whatever the cruise lines decide as to policy regarding the documentation or request for information, or doctor's certification spelling out the need for the animal, regarding the animal is totally legal.

As stated in the ADA, service animals are only to be in two places, either on the floor, or in the owner's arms. This could be used to quickly disembark the dog strollers and dogs on chairs type of "service or support animals".

The rights of the people inquiring? In the dumpster, I presume. The wheelchair abusers are FAR smaller than those who abuse the Service animal right. As a business owner, I DO have the right to ask "What service does your animal provide?" If you refuse, then I am in MY right to ask you to leave my premises. If you notice, I'm not asking the disability, I'm asking what service the animal provides. If the person refuses that request you can tell them to leave.
that, of course comes with a risk that you will lose business.

In fact, the solution is much simpler. As I haven't posted on this thread before, but have stated on other threads dealing with service animals and their fake counterparts, the ADA really does not pertain to foreign flag cruise ships. Yes, the cruise line has to provide accommodation to anyone, regardless of disability, and they need to make "reasonably attainable" changes to accessibility, but Spector v. NCL specifically states that the "internal policies and procedures" of a foreign flag cruise ship do not fall within the purview of the ADA.

Therefore, if CLIA would only come out with a set of "service animal behavior" guidelines, much as they do in the ticket contract for passengers, then whatever the cruise lines decide as to policy regarding the documentation or request for information, or doctor's certification spelling out the need for the animal, regarding the animal is totally legal.

As stated in the ADA, service animals are only to be in two places, either on the floor, or in the owner's arms. This could be used to quickly disembark the dog strollers and dogs on chairs type of "service or support animals".

The risk you take if you limit that is that someone could decide they will not do business based on such policies enough people do that you will feel it.

If only the cruise line would disembark them.

Cruise lines already require passengers with service dogs to sign a form acknowledging that the dog will not sit on furniture in lounges, the handler will bring its food so that it never should be eating ship food, and so on. Apparently people with fake service dogs happily sign these, chuckling to themselves, and then proceed to do whatever they please once on board, proud in the knowledge that they have avoided paying for a kennel and the cruise line won't kick them off.

These are the people who don't bother to obtain the needed blood testing or paperwork (for example to disembark with an animal in Hawaii) and then make big scenes about it, demanding the ship or local officials take care of their demands.

They are much like - or the same - people who obtain handicapped auto tags through spurious means even though they don't need them, just so they can park closer to the store or restaurant. They see nothing wrong with these behaviors, or have convinced themselves they NEED to have the dog or that parking place, even though, through the grace of God, they are not blind, deaf or crippled.

It's annoying to those of us who actually are blind, deaf or crippled, but we're used to it and usually have bigger problems to cope with.

Hasn't with us. Service animals are welcome. Emotional animals are NOT.
There is a chance that they may begin to be accepted into the law as service animals as they become more common. Particularly since science has proven that in fact they can be of benefit.

There is a chance that they may begin to be accepted into the law as service animals as they become more common. Particularly since science has proven that in fact they can be of benefit.

God, I hope not!! This will give the phonies out there full carte blank to cheat true service animals & those that need them. Plenty of Lawyers & Doctors will gladly sign notes...for a fee!

Edited by keithm
addition

I agree that the ESA problem has gotten out of hand. I happen to have PTSD, but would NEVER insist on traveling with my cat! If you're in such bad shape that you can't be without your pet, you probably shouldn't be traveling at all. You should be focused on addressing your issues, getting the proper help, and learning to cope with the world. Every person that tries to pass their animal off as an ESA should be ashamed of themselves. They make it harder for people who have actual needs to get the services they need and deserve.

I agree that the ESA problem has gotten out of hand. I happen to have PTSD, but would NEVER insist on traveling with my cat! If you're in such bad shape that you can't be without your pet, you probably shouldn't be traveling at all. You should be focused on addressing your issues, getting the proper help, and learning to cope with the world. Every person that tries to pass their animal off as an ESA should be ashamed of themselves. They make it harder for people who have actual needs to get the services they need and deserve.

the ADA now considers trained PTSD dogs as Service Animals...and there are legitimate therapy dogs out there as well. Unfortunately there are quite a few people who do take advantage of the law to pass off their pet dogs as Service Dogs.

Edited by alexspepa

God, I hope not!! This will give the phonies out there full carte blank to cheat true service animals & those that need them. Plenty of Lawyers & Doctors will gladly sign notes...for a fee!

They may they may not, but as it has been PROVEN that there are benefits I would not be shocked if it made the law one of these days for that matter if it made it sooner whether than later. It is worth noting that one could in fact make the argument that alcohol is legal today due to such abuse. So many people were abusing the medical loophole that between that and other factors such as HALF of all federal prisoners being incarcerated for alcohol offenses the ban did not even make it two decades.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know about the other lines, but I do know that NCL does not allow emotional support animals.

To my knowledge most lines do not. Most lines can actually refuse service dogs if the line is registered in another country.

I don't know about the other lines, but I do know that NCL does not allow emotional support animals.

To me, many ESA's are for people who just can't cope with the rigors of everyday life. Sorry, if I'm coming off as heartless, but it's just too full of b/s. We had a guy who booted out a "Vet"(was never proved he actually was, by the way)who came into his café with a really ratty looking dog. The press got hold of it & without really doing ANY research went on about the café & it's owner. After numerous threats, the owner allowed the guy in with the dog, again without any proof whether any of it was legit. The local press then went onto another story that captured their interest.