Emotional Support Animals

johhnnyt

I see the problem from a different view point. I have a service dog and want to take her with me. We rescued her and within days she alerted me when my blood sugar fell at night. She started pawing and licking me until I woke up and realized that I was going seriously low.

It took me about six weeks before I put all the pieces together. I found out how to train her to be a diabetic alert dog. You squab 2 x2 gauze pads in your mouth at different blood sugar levels. Store them in ziplock bags and open them at different places in the house. When she found the bag with the low sugar she got a treat. I raised her alert level to 70 because I start to go unconscious at about 55-60.

I also hired a trainer to "service Dog" train her for behavior. After 5 major surgeries in 6 years my blood sugar is unstable due to changes in medications and problems with keeping medications down.

There is not one single agency that certifies service dogs. There are medical alert dog, seizure alert dogs, dog for PSTD, dogs to help blind and deaf people. Helper dogs that can open doors, carry things, and perform for many tasks. But not an agency that can certify all types of dogs.

The trainer I hired, worked intensively to train her to meet the requirements of a service dog. I worked to train her to perform some of the tasks that I need. Get my cane if I drop it, bring me my cell phone if I fall, alert my family if I need help. Wake me and bring me my bag of glucose if I need it.

I would love if I could find a legitimate agency to certify her, but there is none. Everyone is correct you can buy anything on Amazon.

I bring her with me when I go out. 90% of the time when I feel well enough to go out I don't need her. But the 10% I do she is a god send. At home alone she is a necessity. I have never brought her on a cruise or airplane because I am not alone, but would prefer she could come.

We never have a problem with her behavior, most of the time no one realizes she is under the table at a restaurant. She poops and pees on command and never has a accident. She doesn't bark or approach other dogs or people.

Is Susie legitimate? Is she a fraud/pet? I don't know but she is dedicated to me and I to her. Should I be allowed to take her on a trip? I am curious what people think

I see the problem from a different view point. I have a service dog and want to take her with me. We rescued her and within days she alerted me when my blood sugar fell at night. She started pawing and licking me until I woke up and realized that I was going seriously low.

It took me about six weeks before I put all the pieces together. I found out how to train her to be a diabetic alert dog. You squab 2 x2 gauze pads in your mouth at different blood sugar levels. Store them in ziplock bags and open them at different places in the house. When she found the bag with the low sugar she got a treat. I raised her alert level to 70 because I start to go unconscious at about 55-60.

I also hired a trainer to "service Dog" train her for behavior. After 5 major surgeries in 6 years my blood sugar is unstable due to changes in medications and problems with keeping medications down.

There is not one single agency that certifies service dogs. There are medical alert dog, seizure alert dogs, dog for PSTD, dogs to help blind and deaf people. Helper dogs that can open doors, carry things, and perform for many tasks. But not an agency that can certify all types of dogs.

The trainer I hired, worked intensively to train her to meet the requirements of a service dog. I worked to train her to perform some of the tasks that I need. Get my cane if I drop it, bring me my cell phone if I fall, alert my family if I need help. Wake me and bring me my bag of glucose if I need it.

I would love if I could find a legitimate agency to certify her, but there is none. Everyone is correct you can buy anything on Amazon.

I bring her with me when I go out. 90% of the time when I feel well enough to go out I don't need her. But the 10% I do she is a god send. At home alone she is a necessity. I have never brought her on a cruise or airplane because I am not alone, but would prefer she could come.

We never have a problem with her behavior, most of the time no one realizes she is under the table at a restaurant. She poops and pees on command and never has a accident. She doesn't bark or approach other dogs or people.

Is Susie legitimate? Is she a fraud/pet? I don't know but she is dedicated to me and I to her. Should I be allowed to take her on a trip? I am curious what people think

I know that in Australia the answer would be no, no certification, no go.

There's an amazing amount of fraudulent companies out there. There is a "fraud watch" service dog company that lists many of these phony companies. Many are dog breeders.They will explain some of the steps to spot the fakes. In most cases a phony service dog registration company will issue a certificate, for a fee of course, without asking to see a medical note from a physician. There ARE steep fines for fraudulent use. In your case, it's best to look online for a company that will ask to see a notarized physician's letter.

Is there a specific agency in Australia that certifies service dogs? There are only private agencies in the US

The vast majority of the companies in the US are fraudulent. If they DO NOT ask for a notarized physician's letter stating the need for a service animal, then most likely they are a fraud. There are STEEP penalties for fraudulent use.

Is there a specific agency in Australia that certifies service dogs? There are only private agencies in the US

It can vary by service.

I doubt any one but guide dogs Australia can certify a guide dog.

PDS certifies diabetes dogs.

Are you familiar with Assistance Dogs International? And IAADP? (International Association of Assistance Dog Partners).You may find some answers and resources on their web sites about training standards, certification, and membership.

• 4 weeks later...
I have a real issue on "Emotional Support Animals" to me it's a crock of B/S. If it's a "service" and I MEAN service animal, I'm fine with it. I have no problem shaming people who try to fake it. You can buy "service" animal labels, sweaters, whatever you want. I've even seen a law firm online telling you how to fake the documentation. I confronted a couple guys with a huge unruly dog in Sam's Club. The mgt. there (and in MANY places)are too chicken @#$%$ to challenge these fakers. Well, I'm NOT. Threatening to call the cops on these guys in Sam's Club got them heading out the door real fast. I told a woman with her "snuggly" little rat of a dog about the $2000 fine & 6 months in jail(not true, wish it was!!) for faking service dogs & that I was about to call the cops. She took off out of that grocery store real quick. Thanks to our "STUPID" Government & their damned "P/C" policy, it's made it a haven for the fraudsters out there. One way a company can make someone leave the store/place of business is to ask "What service does your animal provide?"(not the same as asking the disability)If the person refuses to disclose the service the animal provides, you may then demand they leave the place of business. I'm beginning to see posted signs refusing admittance for "Emotional Support Animals". It's about damn time!

Service Animals are not about a "PC" government enforced law. The Air Carrier Access Act was signed into law by Reagan I do believe. The Americans with Disabilities Act was signed into law by George Bush (#1) and specifically states that the animals are allowed anywhere the person is allowed and that the business is only allowed to ask if the animal is a service animal and what specific task has the dog been trained to perform.

These laws were written this way because so many businesses think they're above the law and shouldn't be regulated. About a year and a half ago a business in Houston kicked a woman out who had a service animal and six they didn't care what the law was (as they kicked her out) when the story went viral online and the media became involved it all changed. I've read some of the ADA Enforcement Actions and some are downright shocking in what these people have done.

That being said, I agree that people that abuse the system and cheat and lie so they can take their pet somewhere should be heavily punished because they make it more difficult for people with actual disabilities. These people already face difficulties in every aspect of their lives, why add more? To me that's just criminal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

It's simple, just sail with Cunard. QM2 has a dozen kennels aboard but they tend to book up quite quickly. There's an excercise area and a kennel master.

It's bad luck if you have a pit bull or a Japanses tosa or anything else which is likely to be psychotic since those breeds are barred, but they'll take most sane breeds except the really big ones as well as cats. But no birds, pigs, turtles or unicorns.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

Yes she is legitimate. She performs a specific task to mitigate a medical condition. Service is the key here, she is not making you feel better because she snuggles with you. She is providing a service that you need medically. Service dogs do not have to be trained by any organization. In fact for Service dogs for mental illnesses, a lot of organizations suggest they be primary trained by the person they will be serving as it develops an important emotional connection.