Cuban Cigars and Rum now OK to bring back for personal use

originalgeek

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/limits-slashed-on-cuban-cigars-19049

Full article at link above.

Get ready to pack your bags and suitcases with Cuban cigars and rum. The U.S. Treasury Department announced today that it has removed the previous limits on bringing Cuban cigars and Cuban rum back into the United States from any country in the world, Cuba or otherwise. This means the $100 limit instituted two years ago is no more.

So long as the cigars are brought back in personal baggage and are intended for personal consumption, U.S. Customs will let your Cuban cigars through. This means that the deceptive days of removing bands, hiding cigars in your dirty laundry and lying to customs officers are officially over, effective Monday, October 17.

I reckon this is of general interest to cruisers from all lines but since I've really only done Carnival I posted here. Just let me know where it went if it gets moved lol. :)

Hooray! American tourist dollars and Cuban culture, rum, cigars, and lobsters, plus interaction between the peoples of our two countries will hopefully enrich both parties economically and socially! To the opening of a new vacation spot in the sunny Caribbean, and the eventual passing of over 55 years of distrust and conflict.;)

Hooray! American tourist dollars and Cuban culture, rum, cigars, and lobsters, plus interaction between the peoples of our two countries will hopefully enrich both parties economically and socially! To the opening of a new vacation spot in the sunny Caribbean, and the eventual passing of over 55 years of distrust and conflict.;)

I don't even have to go to Cuba, actually. They sell cigars everywhere but we couldn't bring them home before.

But I will go there some day. Git some rum too.

The problem with "Cuban" cigars in the Caribbean and Mexico is that the counterfeits outnumber the real things in a big way. We live in Puerto Vallarta (where cubans have always been available) and one can by so-called Cubans just about anywhere,,,including from some beach vendors. Most are not real cuban..and are likely Mexican or possibly from the DR. But we do know of 2 places that do sell the real thing.....but one should be prepared to pay $20 - $50 for a single good cigar. Now that the USA is easing their restrictions, we would predict that the price of Cubans is going to soar...so that nearly anything good will be in the $50 range (that is for a single cigar).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

The problem with "Cuban" cigars in the Caribbean and Mexico is that the counterfeits outnumber the real things in a big way. We live in Puerto Vallarta (where cubans have always been available) and one can by so-called Cubans just about anywhere,,,including from some beach vendors. Most are not real cuban..and are likely Mexican or possibly from the DR. But we do know of 2 places that do sell the real thing.....but one should be prepared to pay $20 - $50 for a single good cigar. Now that the USA is easing their restrictions, we would predict that the price of Cubans is going to soar...so that nearly anything good will be in the $50 range (that is for a single cigar).

Hank

No thanks at 50! I'd maybe go 20 but not from a street vendor. I'm happy with an Arturo Fuente so if I spent anything on a Cuban I'd do some studying first and learn to spot the fakes. Most likely a one time thing just say I did it lol.

sent from my galaxy tab a

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We just got back from a cruise around Cuba. We stopped at Santiago, Havana, Cienfuegos. We went to 7-8 different cigar shops, some were gov't and others private. We didn't find any of the Cohiba BKE or Montecristo #2, so have an alternative selection.

Also some of the shops increased the supposedly set price to make more profit. Check out this site for the set gov't prices of the Cigars, Rum and Coffee. http://yulcigars.blogspot.ca/

There was plenty of rum and coffee in stock everywhere.

• 1 month later...
We just got back from a cruise around Cuba. We stopped at Santiago, Havana, Cienfuegos. We went to 7-8 different cigar shops, some were gov't and others private. We didn't find any of the Cohiba BKE or Montecristo #2, so have an alternative selection.

Also some of the shops increased the supposedly set price to make more profit. Check out this site for the set gov't prices of the Cigars, Rum and Coffee. http://yulcigars.blogspot.ca/

There was plenty of rum and coffee in stock everywhere.

Thanks for the link to the prices. My husband, who knows next to nothing about cigars, has been researching diligently all week. He has a list of several to pick from, so hopefully he'll find at least one of them. He's been doing so much research on this, that he's been dreaming about cigars for several nights! :')

• 1 month later...

We just came back from Havana on an Oceania cruise. When your items are going thru the

X-ray machine prior to boarding the ship they (cuban customs) are looking for cigars that were not purchased in a state store. My advise-only purchase from a state store.

We just came back from Havana on an Oceania cruise. When your items are going thru the

X-ray machine prior to boarding the ship they (cuban customs) are looking for cigars that were not purchased in a state store. My advise-only purchase from a state store.

The tobacco producers are allowed to keep 10% of the crop (as I was told by several of them on a trip to where tobacco is raised) by law. They are allowed to make and sell cigars from the rest. They have no markings when they are sold 'in the field' to tourists.

So how could the Cuban government penalize a tourist for having those cigars in his/her possession?

Thanks for the link to the prices. My husband, who knows next to nothing about cigars, has been researching diligently all week. He has a list of several to pick from, so hopefully he'll find at least one of them. He's been doing so much research on this, that he's been dreaming about cigars for several nights! :')

Go to the Partagas store, just behind the Capitolio in Havana. They had Cohiba #2 when I was there two weeks ago. And a lot more variety as well.

The sales people are very helpful and speak English.