Help with Carnival Hub App install please

poobears

I went to install it in my Galaxy S4 (straight talk) and it says it's not compatible with that device. Anyone have an idea why it won't work with an S4? So I figure that's OK I'll use one of our Android tablets instead to take with us but I am getting the same not compatible error on them.

What's the deal, what kind of phone or device do you have to have to use their darn app? I need this to keep in touch back home, I am not paying for phone calls back home but need to do quick check ins a couple times during the cruise and need to be able to at least have contact between myself and kids on board the ship so they can go do their thing and text them to meet up. Without the app I can't even do that.

This thing is driving me insane tonight trying to figure it out lol

My guess is that your operating system may not be compatible with it. Is your phone's operating system up to date? From the Hub website, you must be running Operating system 4.4 or newer on Android.

You do realize the app won't keep you in touch with back home though, right? The $5 app activation only gets you to chat with others on board the ship. To chat with others back home, you'll probably need at minimum, the social media package, which is typically $5/day or $25/7 day sailing.

I went to install it in my Galaxy S4 (straight talk) and it says it's not compatible with that device. Anyone have an idea why it won't work with an S4? So I figure that's OK I'll use one of our Android tablets instead to take with us but I am getting the same not compatible error on them.

What's the deal, what kind of phone or device do you have to have to use their darn app? I need this to keep in touch back home, I am not paying for phone calls back home but need to do quick check ins a couple times during the cruise and need to be able to at least have contact between myself and kids on board the ship so they can go do their thing and text them to meet up. Without the app I can't even do that.

This thing is driving me insane tonight trying to figure it out lol

You cannot do any outside contact with the Hub App, you will indeed need to purchase one of the internet packages to do so. But you can use the chat feature to talk to other members of your family and/or party.

According to the FAQs on the website you need an operating system of 4.1 and above I have 4.3. If it requires 4.4 now then yes that is the issue.

Yes I know I'll need the social media app too, I'll be using fb messenger to keep in contact with DH. I assumed if one wouldn't work the other wouldn't either but maybe it would.

Would just a system update get me up to a 4.4? I have no clue lol

According to the FAQs on the website you need an operating system of 4.1 and above I have 4.3. If it requires 4.4 now then yes that is the issue.

Yes I know I'll need the social media app too, I'll be using fb messenger to keep in contact with DH. I assumed if one wouldn't work the other wouldn't either but maybe it would.

Would just a system update get me up to a 4.4? I have no clue lol

In the Android Paly Store it states:

Requires Android

4.4 and up

Have you tried to see if your S4 will do an update?

You go to:

Settings:

System:

About Device:

Software Update:

to check and see if it will.

Edited by BigDozer66
Additional info

Yes I did try doing a system update and it only did a quick update on my 4.3, don't think there's any way to upgrade the system to a 4.4. Both mine and DD's are S4s so guess none of ours will work on board. So much for easy contact :rolleyes:

Thanks for trying :)

This is what the FAQ section under the Hub shows:

What devices does the app work on?

IOS/Apple iPhone**versions supported: IOS 8.0 and up**- this includes iPods

Android/Google versions supported: 4.1 (aka Ice cream sandwich) and up

Yes I did try doing a system update and it only did a quick update on my 4.3, don't think there's any way to upgrade the system to a 4.4. Both mine and DD's are S4s so guess none of ours will work on board. So much for easy contact :rolleyes:

Thanks for trying :)

You can also use an iPod touch for the hub app in case you have those, it doesn't need to be a fully functioning smartphone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Nope no Ipods touch or anything, looks like DH's S6 would work but he'll be at home, he's not going this trip. All our tablets are slightly too old to use, plus they wouldn't be too convenient to carry around. Don't guess it'd much sense to buy new phones for the trip when we don't need new phones so we'll just skip it I guess.

From everything I found online there is no way to upgrade from 4.3 to 4.4 on android so I'm pretty much stuck there.

Will I be able to access their wifi at all on the phone so I can at least use it FB messenger with DH or will I need to bring my laptop along for that? Don't really want to use their computers since I'll likely check in right before bed each night.

Nope no Ipods touch or anything, looks like DH's S6 would work but he'll be at home, he's not going this trip. All our tablets are slightly too old to use, plus they wouldn't be too convenient to carry around. Don't guess it'd much sense to buy new phones for the trip when we don't need new phones so we'll just skip it I guess.

From everything I found online there is no way to upgrade from 4.3 to 4.4 on android so I'm pretty much stuck there.

Will I be able to access their wifi at all on the phone so I can at least use it FB messenger with DH or will I need to bring my laptop along for that? Don't really want to use their computers since I'll likely check in right before bed each night.

Could you switch the Sims cards on the phones to bring his with you for the trip and leave yours with him?

Caity

• 4 months later...