Upgrade Offer from HAL on 11/7/05 Ryndam

RetRanger

Today our TA called and said HAL had contacted her and wanted to know if we were interested in upgrading to a "S" Deluxe Verandah Suite for $399 each ($798 total). We are booked into an "A" Verandah Suite on the Navigation Deck. We have had this reservation since last February and got a very good rate on it. It seems HAL wants our Verandah Suite. We told her no, not for that amount. We did tell her to call back if HAL would upgrade us for less. I know the "S" Deluxe Verandah Suites are very nice and we would be able to use the Neptune Lounge, but we could not justify spending that much more with the holidays coming up. Did we make the right decision? Our bags are packed and we are sailing in 5 days.

Thanks for your input,

RetRanger's DW

If you feel the amount was too high, then you did the right thing. That amount will take you on a few excursions and pay down your on board account. Though the offer is tempting, you're the only one that can decide what is right for you financially. Bon Voyage..... enjoy your verandah!! :D

Colette

I agree with Kakcruiser, if the cruise is only for 7 days that is a lot of money to pay out when if would cover your excursions and some of your expenses whilst on board.

If the cruise was for 14 days, it would be a bargain. I would love to be in a S suite and would pay for an upgrade if the cost was not too high, but for just 7 days I wouldn't be interested at that price.

HAL obviously wants your cabin so you have got some bargaining powers. Do you say you would change for less?

Jennie

The Ryndam is currently doing 10 day cruises. If you felt this was high then I do feel you made the right choice. But having been on the other end and waitlisted for a S Suite for 9 months on the Maasdam I find the amount to be a fantastic deal for 10 days. But I do have to admit $800 more this time of year and going into a cruise thinking you only had to worry about the ship board account could hurt a little too. You may want to call you TA back and have your TA call HAL back and see if they want to play "Let's Make a Deal" See if they could upgrade you to the S for $500 or $600 more. :D

The Ryndam is currently doing 10 day cruises. If you felt this was high then I do feel you made the right choice. But having been on the other end and waitlisted for a S Suite for 9 months on the Maasdam I find the amount to be a fantastic deal for 10 days. But I do have to admit $800 more this time of year and going into a cruise thinking you only had to worry about the ship board account could hurt a little too. You may want to call you TA back and have your TA call HAL back and see if they want to play "Let's Make a Deal" See if they could upgrade you to the S for $500 or $600 more. :D

That is pretty much what I told our TA. We are leaving Friday to drive south to visit family in the San Diego area. I gave our TA my cell phone number so she can call me if HAL calls back with a better deal. $800 could pay for a lot of onboard extras! I am also afraid if we go with the S we will never want anything else but an S again!:) Thanks to all for your input.

RetRanger's DW

Well, it all comes down to what you value the difference at.

Personally I would have to think about it only because it's much less than the normal difference, but on balance I do not think I value a bigger cabin and the various "perks" that highly. $800 can buy a lot of other things I'd rather have than a really posh cabin. But that's just me, I'm sure for a lot of people it would be well worth it and that's fine... The world would be an awfully dull place if we were all the same.

I guess I should note though that you are talking to a guy who on his own would almost never book anything but the cheapest inside cabin (at least on ships like the S and R ships where all the cabins are more than largeand comfortable enough for me)... So I'm probably not the best person to ask ;) .

But really it all about how much you personally value the difference. If you were going to buy a $20,000 car, but got an offer to buy a $50,000 car for only $30,000, that may be a "good deal" but it is a moot point if you just think that $30,000 is too much money to spend on a car. Or if you could get a $10,000 suit for $5,000, but you just aren't willing to spend $5,000 on a suit. Again, a "good deal", but it is possible to be perfectly reasonable and still turn it down. I think this fits in the same category. Yes, in terms of how much of a discount it is it's a pretty good buy, but that doesn't mean you're obligated to take it if you just do not value the difference that highly.

That is pretty much what I told our TA. We are leaving Friday to drive south to visit family in the San Diego area. I gave our TA my cell phone number so she can call me if HAL calls back with a better deal. $800 could pay for a lot of onboard extras! I am also afraid if we go with the S we will never want anything else but an S again!:) Thanks to all for your input.

RetRanger's DW

I hope you TA calls you back:) , but take it from me that just a year ago before we had our first S Suite I would have been more than happy to have that A or B catagory (which we did have on the Maasdam in July) but having had the S now 3 time in just one year we are now so hooked it would be hard to go back. I will tell you, having been on the Ryndam last year you will still LOVE your cruise even if you do not upgrade. The RRRRRRYndam (Once you hear Capt. Consen you will understand the rolling R's) is a wonderful ship and this cruise will be very special.

Archived