Morning or evening service??

Hadiez

I read a few posts about needing to choose when you had your room taken care of. IS this true you now have to choose a time? When did Carnival start doing that? I have not been on a cruise since 2013 when I was on the Dream and our steward must have been in our room 5 times a day. Now I guess I should say when I met him on day one I gave him a 20 and again when the cruise was over. Please confirm what you have seen.

Edited by Hadiez

I read a few posts about needing to choose when you had your room taken care of. IS this true you now have to choose a time? When did Carnival start doing that? I have not been on a cruise since 2013 when I was on the Dream and our steward must have been in our room 5 times a day. Now I guess I should say when I met him on day one I gave him a 20 and again when the cruise was over. Please confirm what you have seen.

Officially, they are trying to make us think that they are conducting a test, going from twice a day service, to an option of twice a day service or once a day service, picking which "once" you want that service. We were told it was on 4 ships. I lost count when it got to 6 ships, and have no clue where it stands now.

They came out with vague "Comfort" cards, with a place to indicate if you wanted AM or PM service. The way it was worded implied it was one or the other.

And when challenged, passengers were told by some stewards it WAS one or the other.

The question came up on John Healds page, where he checked, came back and stated, you can check off both AM and PM and you will get both.

Yet passengers continued to come back stating they were told it was one OR the other. Other passengers come back stating there been no change. Many times, they are passengers on ships not doing the pilot.

Then we were told they were creating a new card that would indicate BOTH.

This card was a long time coming, but it eventually showed up on some ships, but the old card is still in use.

A year later, there are still passengers reporting they are being told it's one or the other, and some are guilting passengers telling them the amount of cabins they service has gone from 20 to 35. I saw a post just today with a passenger stating that.

Meanwhile, the recommended tips are not adjusted for those that only want half the service full service passengers get and pay for.

I just saw a post from someone who is currently on the Glory, and they were not asked to fill out a card and have been receiving service twice a day.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51343894&postcount=10

Mikew0805

Just off the Splendor yesterday. The form had a box for Morning or Evening, but did not have a box for both. I told the steward I wanted both, and he said it is only one or the other. I said that all I wanted was fresh towels both times, make up/turn down bed, and the Ice replenished. We are not messy, so there is nothing ever to do, with the exception of some sand if we were at the beach.

At this point he actually said "Well you will get, what you get." Which is when I replied, "The same applies to your gratuity."

That is when he checked both boxes, and I received service twice a day.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51343894&postcount=10

Mikew0805

Just off the Splendor yesterday. The form had a box for Morning or Evening, but did not have a box for both. I told the steward I wanted both, and he said it is only one or the other. I said that all I wanted was fresh towels both times, make up/turn down bed, and the Ice replenished. We are not messy, so there is nothing ever to do, with the exception of some sand if we were at the beach.

At this point he actually said "Well you will get, what you get." Which is when I replied, "The same applies to your gratuity."

That is when he checked both boxes, and I received service twice a day.

I do not see how Carnival can justify raising the gratuities and then cutting the service in half. I usually give an extra $20.00 - $30.00 to the stewards, but if I receive half the service, I will no longer do so.

I would certainly understand people cutting half of the automatic gratuity. If they have almost twice as many rooms but only have to do them half as much, they will still end up with the same amount of money.

My cruise requirements are quite clear. I expect twice a day service.

The day I'm told I can't get that, or am even disuaded from getting that, my steward tips will be cut in half. It's irrelevant to me what their workload is. They should address that, not me.

My cruise requirements are quite clear. I expect twice a day service.

The day I'm told I can't get that, or am even disuaded from getting that, my steward tips will be cut in half. It's irrelevant to me what their workload is. They should address that, not me.

See post #7. No problem :D

Officially, they are trying to make us think that they are conducting a test, going from twice a day service, to an option of twice a day service or once a day service, picking which "once" you want that service. We were told it was on 4 ships. I lost count when it got to 6 ships, and have no clue where it stands now.

They came out with vague "Comfort" cards, with a place to indicate if you wanted AM or PM service. The way it was worded implied it was one or the other.

And when challenged, passengers were told by some stewards it WAS one or the other.

The question came up on John Healds page, where he checked, came back and stated, you can check off both AM and PM and you will get both.

Yet passengers continued to come back stating they were told it was one OR the other. Other passengers come back stating there been no change. Many times, they are passengers on ships not doing the pilot.

Then we were told they were creating a new card that would indicate BOTH.

This card was a long time coming, but it eventually showed up on some ships, but the old card is still in use.

A year later, there are still passengers reporting they are being told it's one or the other, and some are guilting passengers telling them the amount of cabins they service has gone from 20 to 35. I saw a post just today with a passenger stating that.

Meanwhile, the recommended tips are not adjusted for those that only want half the service full service passengers get and pay for.

Rather foolish of them to raise tips at same time they are asking passengers to accept less service

We were on the Dream last year (one of the test ships) and we asked and received twice a day servicing of the cabin. No push back from the steward.

This was a badly planned test by Carnival and it was a huge fail. The only thing it accomplished was creating issues between guests and cabin stewards. In theory, it was a good idea...allow the guests to choose servicing based on what time they got up. Those who like to party all night wouldn't want to be disturbed in the morning so they would probably choose evening servicing. It was never meant to be an either/or proposition (at least according to Carnival). Unfortunately, the cabin stewards didn't get the memo.

Someone who just returned from the Dream last week said they checked both and it was honored.

I desire twice a day service. I do not need the entire room cleaned, but in the morning I want the bed made and towels replaced, then in the evening I need another set of towels as I usually shower before dinner.

I was on Triumph for 7-day Christmas cruise last year & NEVER EVEN SAW my steward. No greeting. No card to check off. No nothing. I never even figured out who it was. :confused: As I recall, the room was cleaned, but the personal touch was certainly lacking.

Personally, I don't care as long as we get ice, fresh towels, fun times and the towel animal, when it happens. However, Carnival's policy is still that you get the option for twice a day. If that's what I'm paying gratuities on, that's what I expect. In the event our steward refuses in January, he is going against policy of the company he chose to work for and his gratuities may (or may not) go down. Generally we tip extra so if we still receive good service we wouldn't reduce tips, but certainly wouldn't tip more. I'm a former server that made $2.13 per hour plus tips, I know what it's like to depend on tips, but a tip is earned not guaranteed.

I was on the Splendor 10/2. We were not given a card. My steward came to the room introduced himself & asked "morning or evening service?" I was tempted to ask for both, but we're not very messy or picky & never in the cabin during the day so I selected evening. It was fine except for the fact that I had to call the cabin service number three days for more towels due to frequent showering after ports.

I am personally fine with once a day service, but I understand people who feel they have always had two and want two. I would not cut my gratuity, because I personally feel the amount is a fair amount even for once a day service, but again I understand people who feel they should reduce their gratuity.

My question is, "Will you quit cruising Carnival because of this?"

Unless a lot of people stop choosing to cruise with Carnival, or they lose a lot of employees and find it hard to hire new ones, they will not hesitate to go through with the change. Reducing your gratuity because you believe you are being overcharged for half as much service is valid, feeling it will deliver a message to Carnival is misguided. Carnival Corporation likely won't know you did it, and would be even less likely to care.

I am personally fine with once a day service, but I understand people who feel they have always had two and want two. I would not cut my gratuity, because I personally feel the amount is a fair amount even for once a day service, but again I understand people who feel they should reduce their gratuity.

Unless a lot of people stop choosing to cruise with Carnival, or they lose a lot of employees and find it hard to hire new ones, they will not hesitate to go through with the change. Reducing your gratuity because you believe you are being overcharged for half as much service is valid, feeling it will deliver a message to Carnival is misguided. Carnival Corporation likely won't know you did it, and would be even less likely to care.

You make a very good point. Even though once vs twice a day service isn't a deal breaker for me, where else will they start to cut corners if there aren't people to make enough noise to let them know they aren't okay with the changes?

Sent from my VS986 using Forums mobile app

We're fine with morning service only, IF theyre willing to throw in the Fun Times and some fresh towels in the evening (they can just throw them on the beds even, dont even have to hang them up) , if they can do that we'll leave the tips and possibly tip above as we usually do, if they say no they will not, I wont remove the tips, but they'll get nothing more.

The only way CCL will care is if their cabin stewards get disgruntled and start leaving.

Bill

Just got off the Splendor last week and was asked if we wanted morning or evening service to clean cabin - I chose morning & towel animal was on bed in the am. The cabin was very dusty - ledges were dusty & glasses that are in the cabin was also dusty along top of ice bucket. feel like housekeeping is slacking.

The only way CCL will care is if their cabin stewards get disgruntled and start leaving.

Bill

The way it will matter to them is if people speak with the wallets and their comments at the end of their cruise. Their staff movement (or lack of) will not do it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums