How do you take along extra batteries for your scooter?

mamasylvia

I have ordered a scooter (finally! can't wait for it to get here) and am now thinking about battery use for the flight and cruise. I bought it with the smaller-capacity Li ion travel battery and I'm thinking buying and taking along a spare would be a good precaution against winding up somewhere a mile away from the ship with a dead scooter battery.

If you have taken along a spare battery even though your scooter doesn't have an expansion system, I'd love to hear how you packaged it and what precautions the airline/cruise ship required/found acceptable. I looked on Amazon and various scooter sites for some kind of protective case, but couldn't find any. So either I wasn't using the right keywords or no one has needed one before.

I have been accused of over-thinking but I figure there are going to be so many elements that I can't control (weather, crowds from my and other cruise ships, closures) that it's only smart to take whatever precautions I can. And now, with plenty of time before the cruise next May, is a great time to investigate options.

I agree. As long as you keep the battery charged you will be OK. Last year we were in Berlin and did a trip to Potsdam which involved a lot of 'walking'.

We went so far that my battery died. Fortunately, it was all on the flat and my OH just free wheeled me.

I have ordered a scooter (finally! can't wait for it to get here) and am now thinking about battery use for the flight and cruise. I bought it with the smaller-capacity Li ion travel battery and I'm thinking buying and taking along a spare would be a good precaution against winding up somewhere a mile away from the ship with a dead scooter battery.

If you have taken along a spare battery even though your scooter doesn't have an expansion system, I'd love to hear how you packaged it and what precautions the airline/cruise ship required/found acceptable. I looked on Amazon and various scooter sites for some kind of protective case, but couldn't find any. So either I wasn't using the right keywords or no one has needed one before.

I have been accused of over-thinking but I figure there are going to be so many elements that I can't control (weather, crowds from my and other cruise ships, closures) that it's only smart to take whatever precautions I can. And now, with plenty of time before the cruise next May, is a great time to investigate options.

For those reading this thread, on the basis of full disclosure I am the one that stated on a different thread that the OP is over thinking the whole issue of traveling with a scooter with a Lithium Battery. With that said I will again state that the OP is over thinking the lithium battery as to the consideration of purchasing/bringing a spare battery as well to the concern of battery range.

OP your signature indicates that you purchased the Triaxe Sport Scooter. which recently has entered the USA Market as it's mainly been sold in Europe Again it appears that you either have misread information , not found the correct page on the manufacturers website or perhaps not read the Owner's Manuel for your new Triaxe Sport Scooter. If you had you'd know that Triaxe Scooter will carry a up to a 350 pound passenger goes up to 9 mph with a 35 mile battery range.

The average battery range in your new scooter is actually far better than other scooters with lithium batteries not to mention better than the dry cell batteries in the average travel scooter. To put things into better perspective for you I use a Pride Go Go Elite Traveler HD Scooter when cruising that has a battery range of up to 14 miles. I'm very active throughout the day on/off the ship port, and have yet to run out of battery during the day.

Of course daily average range is subject to variables such as terrain, inclines/declines, speed driven and the weight of the end user. With that said even considering all these variables you really don't have to spend the money on a back up battery as you have enough battery power to get you through the day. Just make certain that you charge the scooter every night as if you forget than you may well have a problem the next day.

The things you need to take into consideration rather than the purchasing a spare battery are:

• The scooter should not be driven in the rain and or standing water. Reason being the electronics and motor can be damaged. To protect the electronics of the scooter in the event of rain you should pack a small plastic garbage to cover the tiller in the event of rain and move to a drier place ASAP. A disposable poncho that can be purchased at any dollar store or even on line would also surface.
  • Not certain why you state "crowds" as being an issue of concern as to running out of power. Actually when in a crowd you need to have the scooter set at lowest possible speed for safey reasons. The lower you go the less battery power is being used. The average mobility scooter (depending on model) has a top speed of 4-6 mph. The Triaxe scooter has a top speed of 9 mph which you'll probably won't be using or should not be using as it's not a safe speed under any condition during you cruise on or off the ship. Also by not using the scooter at max speed you're using less battery power.

Edited by xxoocruiser

In addition to my previous post above you also need to consider that the rear tires of the Triaxe Sport Scooter are pneumatic meaning a tire made of reinforced rubber and filled with compressed air filled. Only the front tire is solid. Therefore you need to be careful not to drive over any sharp objects that could result in a flat tire.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Actually, the correct possibility is that you misread my post. The 35-mile range applies to the 960wh battery that normally comes with it. I specifically said "I bought it with the smaller-capacity Li ion travel battery" and that battery has an official range of 18 miles. But, as any scooter user knows, those estimates can drop quite a bit when you have a heavy rider (such as me) and are riding on hilly terrain (gee, I wonder could anyone consider Alaska hilly?)

So *I* am not the one who misread information or did not find the correct page.

Also, what I did not mention because I did not expect this question to degenerate into a patronizing "you don't need a spare battery" lecture, is that I may be pulling a scooter trailer with that will further drain the battery power. (Yes, I will pay attention to the trailer capacity. I don't know how some people started thinking I was an idiot but I am not.) Furthermore, at least one of the ports our ship will stop at does not have accessible taxis available and I cannot use a regular taxi. (The scooter will fold up and fit just fine, as xxoocruiser noted. But *I* won't.)

I mentioned the crowds, like the weather, as an element I cannot control.

So can we consider that question out of the way and go back to the original question of HOW to carry a spare?

Edited by mamasylvia

Actually, the correct possibility is that you misread my post. The 35-mile range applies to the 960wh battery that normally comes with it. I specifically said "I bought it with the smaller-capacity Li ion travel battery" and that battery has an official range of 18 miles. But, as any scooter user knows, those estimates can drop quite a bit when you have a heavy rider (such as me) and are riding on hilly terrain (gee, I wonder could anyone consider Alaska hilly?)

So *I* am not the one who misread information or did not find the correct page.

Also, what I did not mention because I did not expect this question to degenerate into a patronizing "you don't need a spare battery" lecture, is that I may be pulling a scooter trailer with that will further drain the battery power. (Yes, I will pay attention to the trailer capacity. I don't know how some people started thinking I was an idiot but I am not.) Furthermore, at least one of the ports our ship will stop at does not have accessible taxis available and I cannot use a regular taxi. (The scooter will fold up and fit just fine, as xxoocruiser noted. But *I* won't.)

I mentioned the crowds, like the weather, as an element I cannot control.

So can we consider that question out of the way and go back to the original question of HOW to carry a spare?

Actually omitting that you're intend to pull a trailer was critical to your question. Therefore based on your choice of words and even with me having misread that it was a smaller battery the information advised by myself as well as other posters was very appropriate.

For the aircraft the main consideration is that Spare battery must be effectively protected against short circuiting by:

• Packing each battery in fully enclosed inner packaging made of non-conductive material (such as a plastic bag)
  • Separating or packing batteries in a manner to prevent contact with other batteries, devices or conductive materials (e.g., metal) in the packaging
  • Ensuring that exposed terminals or connectors are protected with non-conductive caps, non-conductive tape or by other appropriate means

There really isn't a special container made for that specific battery you have to improvise.

While in port the important thing is that the connection points of the battery must be covered to avoid water or moisture damaging it . It should also be tied down to the extension on the Triaxe so as not to fall off.

Edited by xxoocruiser

On our last cruise my scooter was fully charged when we left home in Ohio. We drove to Florida visited a friend one afternoon, I used it at 3 hotels along the way. In Ft Lauderdale I rode it all along the river walk and around town. Got on the ship and rode it everywhere on the ship. Stopped at 2 ports and used it there. All that and only one light went out on my battery capacity dial.I did plug it in that night but I could have made it the rest of the cruise and home without charging it at all. Don't worry.

By the way 9mph is FAST on a scooter. My top end speed is 6mph and I am flyin when I do that, which is not often. On the ship I dial the limit down.

On our last cruise my scooter was fully charged when we left home in Ohio. We drove to Florida visited a friend one afternoon, I used it at 3 hotels along the way. In Ft Lauderdale I rode it all along the river walk and around town. Got on the ship and rode it everywhere on the ship. Stopped at 2 ports and used it there. All that and only one light went out on my battery capacity dial.I did plug it in that night but I could have made it the rest of the cruise and home without charging it at all. Don't worry.

By the way 9mph is FAST on a scooter. My top end speed is 6mph and I am flyin when I do that, which is not often. On the ship I dial the limit down.

That is amazing. I have a Travelscoot and would never be able to cover that distance without having charged the battery. It does depend on the weight of the user and the level of the ground (uphill or frequent stops and starts etc.) I charge mine every night just to be on the safe side.

Wendy

It's impotant to note that the overall life of the battery is longer by charging it after each use. Your battery won't last as long and you'll be buying replacement batteries sooner that expected by not charging it after each use.

My suggestion for a battery case would be a "six pack" cooler or cooler of similar size that would hold the battery. Ensure it has a plastic zipper, pack clothing around it (your hubby's shorts would be perfect) to prevent motion, use electrical tape (lots of it, not just pieces dabbed on the terminals) to cover the terminals, put the battery in a ziplock bag, and you will be fine on the airplane. If taking more than one spare, each battery needs its own ziplock bag, but can go in the same cooler. The same cooler, with snacks packed around the battery could work for storage on the trailer.

Lithium Ion batteries are considered hazardous cargo on airplanes and require specialized packing. See

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Pages/dgr-guidance.aspx

has the specific question about traveling with a motorized wheelchair on an airplane.

Check out the special download on Li ion batteries. I think this will answer all your questions regarding air travel.

Edited by CruisingAlong4Now

I have a travelscoot and always carry a spare battery (and yes I have had to use it on occasions) . You are entitled to carry a spare lithium battery as long as it is packaged appropriately and is under the air safe guidelines. I use the travelscoot bag for the airport and wrap each battery in a separate pouch. However when out and about I stack the batteries on top of each ither

I found the regs about taking along a spare but was curious to see how people implemented those regs. Thank you for the responses.

I also found some hard marine cases on Amazon, once I have the battery so I know the dimensions I will probably see if any of them are a suitable size. A cooler would be cheaper but not impervious to the battery contents if a (highly unlikely) break occurred.

With all the bad press lately about the problems with the Samsung phones and other small playthings catching on fire, it is making it hard to bring lithium batteries on planes.

I have a booking with Jet Airways to fly from Delhi to Dubai in November and now they won't allow me to bring my scooter with the lithium Ion battery at all. They absolutely refuse to accept it. They told me to call their number for cargo and they tell me I have to send it by cargo and they won't tell me how long it will be to get it to Dubai. I only have one day in Dubai and then I get on a cruise ship for 21 days and need to have my scooter with me.

I have a non-refundable ticket and doubt I will be able to get a refund and now I have to try and get an airline that will allow me to bring my scooter.

Don't even get me started about trying to get a plane to accept it in China!!:(:mad:

That is amazing. I have a Travelscoot and would never be able to cover that distance without having charged the battery. It does depend on the weight of the user and the level of the ground (uphill or frequent stops and starts etc.) I charge mine every night just to be on the safe side.

Wendy

I am considered "fluffy" and some of that distance was on the hills and cobblestones of San Juan. At home I usually charge it often.

It's impotant to note that the overall life of the battery is longer by charging it after each use. Your battery won't last as long and you'll be buying replacement batteries sooner that expected by not charging it after each use.

At home I do plug it in often but not on vacation.

Mexico, any chance you could cargo your current battery home and simply buy a new one in Dubai for the cruise? Might be less expensive than changing flights if, as it sounds, the battery is the problem and they would let you bring your scooter on the flight without the battery.

<makes a mental note to look carefully into rules if I ever make an international flight!>

Mexico, any chance you could cargo your current battery home and simply buy a new one in Dubai for the cruise? Might be less expensive than changing flights if, as it sounds, the battery is the problem and they would let you bring your scooter on the flight without the battery.

<makes a mental note to look carefully into rules if I ever make an international flight!>

There is a special plug for the Travelscoot so I don't know how I could purchase a battery for it and have no idea what the airline might accept. I have no problems with Air Canada or United on other flights for this same trip, but Jet Airways are a problem. I really thought there was more protection for persons with disabilities but this is proving very challenging.

There is a special plug for the Travelscoot so I don't know how I could purchase a battery for it and have no idea what the airline might accept. I have no problems with Air Canada or United on other flights for this same trip, but Jet Airways are a problem. I really thought there was more protection for persons with disabilities but this is proving very challenging.

What protection do you expect that airline has to give to persons with disabilities with regards to mobility scooter lithium batteries ? Airlines do allow persons with disabilities to travel with powered wheelchairs and mobility scooters. With stated the airlines have the right to set the regulations for the type of batteries that will be allowed to be brought on the aircraft and Jet Airways is doing just that.

Though the manufacturer of the Travelscoot states that the lithium battery meets FAA regulations really doesn't mean anything when it comes to foreign airlines as FAA regulations do not apply to Jet Airways since the flight originates in India and terminates in Dubai. Furthermore USA airlines have even tightened their regulations for Mobility Scooter Lithium Batteries due to the issues of the past year or so and not that just pertaining to the Samsung Galaxy lithium battery. So basically the Jet Airways has given persons with disabilities as well as all other passengers protection from a catastrophic accident by tightening its regulations regarding lithium batteries of any kind.

The lithium battery is the problem. Most airlines are now prohibiting cargo shipments of any form of lithium battery so that's not a solution. Additionally the lithium battery in question is exclusive to the Travelscoot and needs to be purchased from an approve Travelscoot Distributor. There are no such distributors in Dubai or India. The only option mexico8 has is to purchase the standard Travelscoot12 Ah sealed lead-acid (SLA) battery which sells for $185.00 through the USA manufacturer of the Travelscoot. The sealed lead-acid battery wright more and does not have the same distance range but it appears to be mexico8's best option at the present time.

Edited by xxoocruiser

The only option mexico8 has is to purchase the standard Travelscoot12 Ah sealed lead-acid (SLA) battery which sells for $185.00 through the USA manufacturer of the Travelscoot. The sealed lead-acid battery wright more and does not have the same distance range but it appears to be mexico8's best option at the present time.

Question, does Travelscoot supply an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery? This would be a superior battery for travel, as the liquid is absorbed into fiberglass mats between the battery plates. You can actually drill holes in these batteries and they will not leak acid, whereas a sealed or gel-cell battery can leak from a crack.

From what I gather, leakage isn't the main concern, it's fire. The SLA battery might have to fly inside an acid-impervious container, but it can fly.

Having said that, in my weeks of research to find the best scooter to buy, I haven't seen any scooter that has an AGM option. The "travel" models all use the lithium batteries, and models not designed for travel mostly use SLA.

Question, does Travelscoot supply an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery? This would be a superior battery for travel, as the liquid is absorbed into fiberglass mats between the battery plates. You can actually drill holes in these batteries and they will not leak acid, whereas a sealed or gel-cell battery can leak from a crack.

Unfortunately no. The only options are either a sealed lead-acid (SLA) battery or a lithium-ion battery.

From what I gather, leakage isn't the main concern, it's fire. The SLA battery might have to fly inside an acid-impervious container, but it can fly.

Having said that, in my weeks of research to find the best scooter to buy, I haven't seen any scooter that has an AGM option. The "travel" models all use the lithium batteries, and models not designed for travel mostly use SLA.

Before the issue of the Lithium Battery spontanously igniting leakage of any mobility scooter was and still is a primary concern of all airlines.

Actually the statement " The "travel" models all use the lithium batteries, and models not designed for travel mostly use SLA" is not 100%correct. There are numerous models of travel mobility scooters that do not use lithium batteries nor SLA batteries and are designed to use AGM Batteries such as the Pride GoGo series with the exception of the Pride GoGo Folding scooter.

The better statement to have made would have been that specifically in reference to "folding" travel scooters, such as the TravelScoot , tend to use only a lithium battery and if the manufacturer offers a second option it's a SLA battery.

Edited by xxoocruiser