How big a step into bathrooms

jxtgreek

If it's too much of a problem, Carnival does have assessable rooms that might be better for her. They are limited in supply, however, so you would need to check with Carnival as to the availability in your cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I too have RA, and also OA. I haven't had a huge problem with the step in the bathroom. My biggest problem is walking around the ship. It's big and the fatigue can be overwhelming because I have decided to LIVE with this dreaded disease, and I'm in "push thorough and have fun mode" all the time! Hope y'all have a great time!

We have upcoming cruises on both the Paradise and Valor. My wife has rheumatoid arthritis and has difficulty with steps. Does anyone know how big a step it is to get in the bathrooms. Both cruises are ocean view

Not very big at all.

One regulation step up...like any other "step"...if they did it smaller or larger, they would have tripping issues...It's ONE step.

I know what you are saying, but there are lots of places with either steep or low lying steps. Most people don't notice it much but if you have trouble walking it becomes more apparent. Think of a movie theater vs a sports stadium. :) In housing, they will be standard, which is probably what you meant.

OP, I have MS and trouble with the stairs in my own house in that I have to generally take them one at a time with both feet, not alternating one step per foot. So, going up into the bathroom was fine. Less than our stairs at home it seems to me. However, when the ship is moving, I either hold the wall or someone (kids or husband) offers me a hand to step down out of the bathroom. Overall, I don't think it will be anything more than what she is used to dealing with with her disease.

Edited by momof3cruisers

We have upcoming cruises on both the Paradise and Valor. My wife has rheumatoid arthritis and has difficulty with steps. Does anyone know how big a step it is to get in the bathrooms. Both cruises are ocean view

According to Carnival's website, the step into the bathroom (in regular, non-handicapped rooms) is 8".

Standard Cabins: These cabins have an entry doorway measuring approximately 22", an 8" lip into the cabin bathroom, a 4" lip into the shower stall and a 7" lip to the balcony (if applicable).

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs.aspx

Last Nov., my mother was battling cancer and having difficulty going up steps. She wanted to go on one last cruise, and I was determined to do whatever I could to make it happen. I knew she'd have trouble getting into the restroom, so I bought her a step - it was about 4" high, so it was a perfect height to help her. She didn't have any trouble getting in with that. This is what I got for her:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/16536873

Edited by bigman01

Well now my curiosity is peaked. I have to investigate this coming weekend. These number seems high going into bathroom and shower.

I agree. It sure didn't seem that high stepping into the bathroom and definitely not into the shower. The water that sloshed into the bathroom floor from the shower I know wasn't 4 inches deep otherwise my ankles would have been covered. I had a very slow drain. But who knows, it could be.

Edited by firemanbobswife

One regulation step up...like any other "step"...if they did it smaller or larger, they would have tripping issues...It's ONE step.

And the "one post per thread wonder" returns to post incorrect info again. SOLAS (as well as most US building codes) allow for stair rise to vary between 4-7", so there is no "regulation step". Thanks as always, cb.

Well now my curiosity is peaked. I have to investigate this coming weekend. These number seems high going into bathroom and shower.

I agree - I think the numbers for the step into the bathroom and into the shower seem high, but that's what Carnival says it is. Perhaps they are that height on some older ships but not on the newer ships, and Carnival is just giving the maximum height. I haven't been on anything but Dream class ships in 4-5 years, and I don't honestly think the step up into the bathroom is really 8" high. 6-7 inches, yes, but not 8". And the step into the shower I'd guess is 2-3 inches at most, at least on the newer ships.