Nearest Airport from port in New York

lrockwitt

LGA-Laguardia (major issues with construction)

JFK

EWR-Newark

We flew in and out of LGA two weeks ago on a Princess cruise out of Brooklyn and we heard this also but found it to not be that big of an issue. Took about 40 minutes to Southern Manhattan and about the same to LGA from port! Typical NYC traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We flew in and out of LGA two weeks ago on a Princess cruise out of Brooklyn and we heard this also but found it to not be that big of an issue. Took about 40 minutes to Southern Manhattan and about the same to LGA from port! Typical NYC traffic.

Thats good to hear.

On CC its been said it was a disaster over the last few months. :cool:

The closest airport of the three NYC-area airports is LaGuardia (LGA). My fiance is an airline captain based in NYC (flight attendant of over a decade, myself) and we frequent all three airports. Construction at LGA has not been causing bad issues since August...however, it is NYC and traffic is going to be miserable no matter. LGA has the quickest TSA checkpoints between the three airports, in my experience.

I avoid JFK at all costs, if I can. Unfortunately, if I want to fly internationally, it is a necessary evil.

I still despise LaGuardia and in the industry, we refer to it as "LaGarbage". But if I have to go through NYC, I always try for LGA due to TSA being quicker and easier and the airport being smaller. Amenities are not as nice as JFK or the United concourses at EWR, though.

Edited by PiperHolliday

The closest airport of the three NYC-area airports is LaGuardia (LGA). My fiance is an airline captain based in NYC (flight attendant of over a decade, myself) and we frequent all three airports. Construction at LGA has not been causing bad issues since August...however, it is NYC and traffic is going to be miserable no matter. LGA has the quickest TSA checkpoints between the three airports, in my experience.

I avoid JFK at all costs, if I can. Unfortunately, if I want to fly internationally, it is a necessary evil.

I still despise LaGuardia and in the industry, we refer to it as "LaGarbage". But if I have to go through NYC, I always try for LGA due to TSA being quicker and easier and the airport being smaller. Amenities are not as nice as JFK or the United concourses at EWR, though.

Question from a local and one who frequents the area:

We will be arriving at the princess Brooklyn pier on a sunday at 7:15am we had originally planned on booking a 12:25 flight out of LGA via Southwest but heard of the construction...so here are our 3 options...which would be less stress...don't want to stress after the cruise about making flight:

ship arrives 7:15 am

SW 12:25pm out of LGA-1 stop

delta 1:45 out of JFK-nonstop

united 2:50 out of EWR-nonstop

We will be arriving at the princess Brooklyn pier on a sunday at 7:15am we had originally planned on booking a 12:25 flight out of LGA via Southwest but heard of the construction...so here are our 3 options...which would be less stress...don't want to stress after the cruise about making flight:

Should have no problem making the LGA flight, we used CarMel Limo and the car was there in less than 10 minutes. We booked in advance and called to let them know we were through Customs, very easy. Made it to LGA in around 40 minutes.

Thanks but I did fail to mention we are using the princess shuttle as it is part of our pre-cruise package we booked we get all the transfers paid for. in 2012 we had a 12:35 took the first shuttle princess had to LGA and no issues...just with the construction I am worried if we should just go to another airport vs LGA?

Thanks but I did fail to mention we are using the princess shuttle as it is part of our pre-cruise package we booked we get all the transfers paid for. in 2012 we had a 12:35 took the first shuttle princess had to LGA and no issues...just with the construction I am worried if we should just go to another airport vs LGA?

What time does the Princess Shuttle depart the port? Taking the shuttle means you are now at the mercy of Princess and other passengers and you will migh be stopping at every terminal instead of a cab or private car taking you exactly and directly where you need to be. I always prefer to take private transfers, so I can only give advice based on average driving times and average times getting checked in, through security, etc.

The terminal that SWA uses at LGA is small and probably the least crowded one at that airport. That means checking in and getting through security will be simpler and quicker. Each passenger can check two bags free of charge on SWA.

JFK is 10-15 minutes further from the cruise terminals (both Manhattan and Brooklyn) than LGA, if there's no crazy traffic issues. Delta operates out of Terminal 2 and terminal 4. T4 security is to be avoided if you can help it. Even if we have a flight out of T4, we go through security at T2 and then take the "jitney" to T4. However, I'm not sure if the Princess shuttle gives you the choice of which terminal to be dropped at and might only stop at T4. In that case, you'd just have to suck it up and do the dance at T4. Delta charges each passenger $25 for their first checked bag and $35 for the second checked bag.

The shuttle meets on board at 8:30 and when we used the shuttle in 2012 for our 12:35 flight I believe we were at the airport by 9:30 if not a little before 10. We flew SW before, and out of LGA we took SW. The oddest thing was that after weighing and tagging our bags we had to take them to a special conveyor belt to be scanned vs the ticket agent putting them on the belt behind he desk. I was just more concerned with traffic getting from Brooklyn port to LGA itself as I was told and saw pics of people walking down the side of the off ramp rolling luggage as they were tired of waiting in their taxis.....

The shuttle meets on board at 8:30 and when we used the shuttle in 2012 for our 12:35 flight I believe we were at the airport by 9:30 if not a little before 10. We flew SW before, and out of LGA we took SW. The oddest thing was that after weighing and tagging our bags we had to take them to a special conveyor belt to be scanned vs the ticket agent putting them on the belt behind he desk. I was just more concerned with traffic getting from Brooklyn port to LGA itself as I was told and saw pics of people walking down the side of the off ramp rolling luggage as they were tired of waiting in their taxis.....

I imagine those walking are people that did not allow themselves enough time and would otherwise miss their flight if they did not get out and walk. If the shuttle arrives into that traffic around 10am, you'll still be fine.

However, if you would rather not have to even think about it, just go JFK. It's a nonstop flight to boot. Just try to go through security at terminal 2 if you can, even if your flight is out of terminal 4.

If you are coming in from Europe on your cruise, sometimes getting through Customs at the cruise port can be a long process.

I wouldn't book any flights before 1:00pm.

If you take Princess transportation to JFK, they stop at all the terminals. We usually fly American Airlines and that is always the last stop for the bus. Took 1/2 hr going through to all the terminals to let people off. The bus after each drop off seemed to go out and circle around the airport for each terminal.This summer we just took car service ,Dial7 , booked on line and they were right on time.

So easy. They didn't drive through Manhattan, just Brooklyn and was at JFK in no time.

Thanks, we would be returning on a Classic Canada cruise not from Europe.

What is the big thing with the terminal 4 TSA in JFK...small, not enough agents? I know DH would not want to check in at one terminal and then need to catch the ride on the jitney to get to our terminal...he likes things simple which is why we thought of changing airports from LGA after seeing those images of people walking...ugh..flights are the one thing that seem to make cruising so difficult..lol.

Thanks, we would be returning on a Classic Canada cruise not from Europe.

What is the big thing with the terminal 4 TSA in JFK...small, not enough agents? I know DH would not want to check in at one terminal and then need to catch the ride on the jitney to get to our terminal...he likes things simple which is why we thought of changing airports from LGA after seeing those images of people walking...ugh..flights are the one thing that seem to make cruising so difficult..lol.

Terminal 4 check-in is HUGE. There's tons of people and it's hard to make anything happen quickly because of that. Not only does Delta utilize terminal 4, but a lot of the international carriers do as well. I waited in line for TSA there for nearly two hours once, but that is not the norm. It's just a much simpler process over at terminal 2 and the jitney is easy. No extra security or anything...just get on the shuttle and they drive you over. (No Skytrain, that is only landslide and for getting between other terminals..not necessary for going between 2 and 4) From the other post by someone that has taken the Princess shuttle, it sounds like it would also drop you off at terminal 2 before it would stop at terminal 4.

Hmm but how would we check into the Delta flight in Terminal 2 if Delta uses terminal 4? Sorry this is all new to me...have been to Florida several times but only once to NY and we flew in and out of LGA as it was a r/t sailing that time. Which is why we picked LGA at first, we knew it...then a friend mentioned the construction so I started research and now my head is spinning! :eek:

Hmm but how would we check into the Delta flight in Terminal 2 if Delta uses terminal 4? Sorry this is all new to me...have been to Florida several times but only once to NY and we flew in and out of LGA as it was a r/t sailing that time. Which is why we picked LGA at first, we knew it...then a friend mentioned the construction so I started research and now my head is spinning! :eek:

Delta operates out of both terminal 2 and terminal 4.

We arrived in Brooklyn @ 7am on Oct 12th, and had an 11:40 flight out of JFK. I was really nervous about making the flight, partially because of Princess' scare tactics about the length and cost of the cab ride to JFK. So, we opted to do a walk off, which was no problem even with two large bags. We were off the ship by 7:20, immediately caught a cab, $70 flat rate to JFK. At the airport by 8:30, checked our bags outside (Delta), and were through security in about 5 minutes. Easy as can be

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oh ok....I didn't see that I just saw delta-lax terminal 4 and that is where we would be flying into...

how often does the jitney run? is it just a little shuttle bus? sorry for possibly dumb questions....:confused:

Edited by cruzrbachoua

We arrived in Brooklyn @ 7am on Oct 12th, and had an 11:40 flight out of JFK. I was really nervous about making the flight, partially because of Princess' scare tactics about the length and cost of the cab ride to JFK. So, we opted to do a walk off, which was no problem even with two large bags. We were off the ship by 7:20, immediately caught a cab, $70 flat rate to JFK. At the airport by 8:30, checked our bags outside (Delta), and were through security in about 5 minutes. Easy as can be

Which terminal did you go through 2 or 4?

Delta is the only airline at terminal 2. At terminal 4, Delta shares with a host of international airlines. Heck, maybe your flight will even depart from terminal 2.

It's not the end of the world if you end up just doing security and check-in at terminal 4, you should have time. But in my experience, terminal 2 is simpler. A lot of factors determine how smoothly things are running at any given time, so as always, your experience may differ.

It all comes down to what you are most comfortable with. Honestly, I feel any of your options will work just fine. It's just about what you are most comfortable doing and what decision will leave you the most stress-free.

Edited by PiperHolliday

We went through Terminal 4. This was a Wednesday about 8:39am, and the security line was very short. BTW, Princess was only offering transfers to those who had flights after 13:15.

Great thanks...yeah we would be ok with that time as the flight we are looking at is at 1:45 or 13:45 so we would be good on that part. I unfortunately can not carry heavy items which is why we have princess take our luggage off since DH wouldn't be able to haul it on his own down the stairs and I have been on enough princess cruises to know the elevators are a mad house..lol. I am starting to feel a bit better about jfk and if for some reason the flight we want doesn't exist for our day (although it has for sunday for the past few months) then we know we can have LGA as the backup since you all have made me feel better about that as a backup option.

Thanks Piper!

Edited by cruzrbachoua