Princess or NCL dilemma -- Help!

umieesa

Hey All,

I've been wishing for years to go to Alaska, but hubby has been reluctant. Since he picked the last two vacations I finally get my wish this coming year!

We have only cruised with Princess and loved it, and I always thought I would definitely pick Princess again hands down for Alaska, but I have a dilemma.

We are a family of 5 with 3 boys, and on our last Princess Cruise (on the Ruby) we got two interior staterooms and it wasn't a big deal because prices were cheap. Now that it's Alaska stateroom prices are higher and because I want to do pre/post cruise both in Alaska and Vancouver that's even more expenses to factor in. The good thing about NCL is that they have family staterooms that accommodate 5.

I thought I had narrowed it down to the Star on Princess or NCL Sun because both had similar itineraries that included Glacier Bay and Hubbard (just SB vs NB) but now I read College Fjord is even more beautiful the GB! :confused:

So here are my issues:

1. NCL would be almost $1000 cheaper (assuming my parent's join and I could have one of my son's share a room with them).

Is that $1000 savings worth it or does the Princess experience warrant that?

2.Does NB vs SB matter even if we are visiting the same ports? And is looking for an itinerary that swaps Hubbard for College Fjord something I should look into?

I know everyone seems to recommend the Coral over Island or Star, but if the savings is significant how important is one over the other?

And for those who've cruised on both, especially to Alaska, how would you compare the two cruise lines?

Sorry for all the questions, but just want to make sure I choose the best option before I book.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!!

College Fjord used to be one of my favorites but the glaciers have receded quite a bit and to me it's nowhere near as impressive as it was. (and I haven't gotten very close on the last couple of visits, maybe 9+ miles away) Given a choice I'd pick Hubbard over College Fjord but have also had issues getting close recently. Glacier Bay is the best option as 1st choice IMHO.

I'm doing the Coral next year on a B2B and will visit Glacier twice along with both Hubbard and College Fjord. My choice would be Coral, Star, Island. Haven't done NCL so can't compare.

Check port times, I like the NB Princess times better. I also like NB as the scenery gets more spectacular as you go along. Best thing I like about SB is the scenery after sailaway from Whittier is IMHO some of the best on the trip and you miss it because of the late night arrival NB.

Thanks Dough and Pigskin!

The Princess Itineraries that include Glacier Bay and College Fjord seem to only have NB itineraries for 2017. Some of the SB itineraries include GB, and Hubbard. Norwegian seems to be the only one that offers a NB itinerary that includes both GB and Hubbard. :confused:

I really like that Sun itinerary. Everything seems to fit the dates I want, but just not the ship I want :p

I could do college fjord from prince william sound though right (as a side excursion pre/post cruise)?

I'm so indecisive. Pigskin's comment really solidifies the decision to take Princess, but I just wish I could have the NCL itinerary on a Princess ship :D:(

Edited by umieesa

Out of these 3 Itineraries how would they rank in preference (didn't bother to add sea days)?

Vancouver 430pm

Ketchikan 630-2pm

Juneau 8-9pm

Skagway 7-830pm

Glacier Bay

College Fjord

Whittier 1230am

Whittier 830pm

Hubbard Glacier

Glacier Bay

Skagway 7-830pm

Juneau 630-4pm

Ketchikan 10-6pm

Vancouver 730am

Vancouver 4pm

Ketchikan 7-4pm

Juneau 11-9pm

Skagway 8-8pm

Glacier Bay

Hubbard Glacier

Seward 5am

Do seeing these itineraries make the decision any easier?! :p

Correct College Fjord is only on the NB Princess route. Last year I did the 26 Glacier tour from Whittier on my B2B turnaround day but was very disappointed as they barely entered College Fjord. (that was the 9 miles away) Don't get too hung up about CF as it is just a small part of your Alaska cruise. A much better option on a NB Princess cruise is to do the all day trip to Tracy Arm from Juneau with Adventure Bound.

You will not have a better glacier viewing experience than this but if this is your first trip to Alaska it will be at the expense of missing out on everything else Juneau has to offer. That's why I go every year and do a B2B.

Out of these 3 Itineraries how would they rank in preference (didn't bother to add sea days)?

Vancouver 430pm

Ketchikan 630-2pm

Juneau 8-9pm

Skagway 7-830pm

Glacier Bay

College Fjord

Whittier 1230am

Whittier 830pm

Hubbard Glacier

Glacier Bay

Skagway 7-830pm

Juneau 630-4pm

Ketchikan 10-6pm

Vancouver 730am

Vancouver 4pm

Ketchikan 7-4pm

Juneau 11-9pm

Skagway 8-8pm

Glacier Bay

Hubbard Glacier

Seward 5am

Do seeing these itineraries make the decision any easier?! :p

My preference is 1 2 3 but I want to do Adventure Bound in Juneau and #1i s the only one that allows enough time. If my first and only trip to Alaska (cruise only) I'd pick #2 for viewing both Hubbard and Glacier Bay and overall long port times. #3 I don't like the late arrival in Juneau but if you are doing a land stay after the cruise Seward is a better option than Whittier as far as things to see/do.

Alaska requires many trade offs, the solution is many visits :)

My preference is 1 2 3 but I want to do Adventure Bound in Juneau and #1i s the only one that allows enough time. If my first and only trip to Alaska (cruise only) I'd pick #2 for viewing both Hubbard and Glacier Bay and overall long port times. #3 I don't like the late arrival in Juneau but if you are doing a land stay after the cruise Seward is a better option than Whittier as far as things to see/do.

Alaska requires many trade offs, the solution is many visits :)

I'm taking itinerary #1 in late August followed by three nights on land.

What is Adventure Bound in Juneau?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My preference is 1 2 3 but I want to do Adventure Bound in Juneau and #1i s the only one that allows enough time.

DougH would option 1 even allow enough time for adventure bound? I was reading on their site how they depart at 745am :(

I'm taking itinerary #1 in late August followed by three nights on land.

What is Adventure Bound in Juneau?

An all day 8am-6pm small boat excursion to Tracy Arm. I've done this a half dozen times already and will repeat again next May if possible. There is nothing like getting up close and personal with a glacier, IMHO the South Sawyer is the bluest in color and one of the most active for calving. Most ships schedules don't allow enough time to do this, Adventure Bound doesn't really cater to the cruise ships.

DougH would option 1 even allow enough time for adventure bound? I was reading on their site how they depart at 745am :(

They usually depart between 8am and 8:30am. Call the office and talk to Winona and tell them what ship you are on and when it arrives if you want to book. I've had them pick me up at the pier, once even with the boat. You just have to make sure you are off the cruise ship very early and they will work with you. Most times they are waiting for me and as soon as I'm aboard they take off. Captain Steve loves his job and probably has more trips into Tracy Arm than anyone else as he has been going daily from May-Sept for years. Every year but one (my first trip) we made it up to the face of the glacier and even that was so spectacular I've kept going back. This is one of my favorite excursions anywhere in the world.

A quick search I found this...

http://http://www.adventureboundalaska.com/gallery/glaciers.html

Looks amazing!!

Man this is a tough decision :(

If you want to get excited here is a link to some photos from a couple of my trips

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1283269&highlight=tracy+arm+blue+album

How comfortable is the seating on Adventure Bound? That's a long time on a small boat. I realize I can get up and walk around/outside but still . . .

Are there seats or tables or what in the interior area? Does everyone have access to a window or lots of bench seating down the middle?

Some friends took one of these boats several hears ago (don't know which) and said they wouldn't do it again. Of course they loved what they saw but they were on wooden benches down the middle so had to look around other people to see out of their windows. So spent much of the time standing out on the deck in the cold.

This is fantastic! Just stunning and I'm sure closer than any cruise ship would take me to Hubbard! (Me trying to reassure myself I'd be fine skipping it :p)

If they would leave at that time like you mentioned that makes the decision easier. Plus I noticed you did the drive to emerald lake during your time in Skagway and I was contemplating train vs drive so good to hear your positive experience by car. It would definitely be more affordable then tickets for all of us on the train!

Looks like Princess is the way to go (just need to convince my parents to come along ;))

While it may be my only trip to Alaska I'm still not sure about what the must sees are. Doug would you recommend the Tracy arm adventure bound tour from Juneau vs a trip to Mendenhall glacier?

And is missing out on Hubbard a huge loss? And is there a good time you recommend to book? Princess has the 3 for free promo right now but is that the best it'll get or should I wait until the new year?

Thanks again for everyone's input!

How comfortable is the seating on Adventure Bound? That's a long time on a small boat. I realize I can get up and walk around/outside but still . . .

Are there seats or tables or what in the interior area? Does everyone have access to a window or lots of bench seating down the middle?

Some friends took one of these boats several hears ago (don't know which) and said they wouldn't do it again. Of course they loved what they saw but they were on wooden benches down the middle so had to look around other people to see out of their windows. So spent much of the time standing out on the deck in the cold.

To the best of my recollection the seating set up is:

From the stern two rows of 3 seat benches facing forward on each side, then table for 6 on each side with the stern seats facing forward and the forward seats facing aft. Next up is small bathrooms on the left and right for men/women. Next forward is the main cabin but I haven't sat up here yet so my memory is a bit off. I'd guess about 3 more rows of seats with maybe one more set up as tables. Overall I'd say the boat holds about 45. There are seats for maybe 2 people up with Capt Steve, There are also a couple of plastic lawn type chairs to sit out on the open stern deck if its not too windy or cold. There are narrow walkways along each side outside up to the bow with seating for a couple up there. You have to be pretty brave to be out there when moving as it gets pretty cold fast.

They do sell some coffee soda candy bars and some basic sandwiches. I always try and bring something to snack on and a book to read but really don't get tired of the scenery.

Like you say it is a long day on a fairly small boat so it may not be for everyone. I repeat as often as the schedule allows

This is fantastic! Just stunning and I'm sure closer than any cruise ship would take me to Hubbard! (Me trying to reassure myself I'd be fine skipping it :p)

If they would leave at that time like you mentioned that makes the decision easier. Plus I noticed you did the drive to emerald lake during your time in Skagway and I was contemplating train vs drive so good to hear your positive experience by car. It would definitely be more affordable then tickets for all of us on the train!

Looks like Princess is the way to go (just need to convince my parents to come along ;))

While it may be my only trip to Alaska I'm still not sure about what the must sees are. Doug would you recommend the Tracy arm adventure bound tour from Juneau vs a trip to Mendenhall glacier?

And is missing out on Hubbard a huge loss? And is there a good time you recommend to book? Princess has the 3 for free promo right now but is that the best it'll get or should I wait until the new year?

Thanks again for everyone's input!

I wouldn't wait. Many people are staying away from Europe and Alaska is on many people's bucket list. Our ship more than half filled already. NCL vs Princess, I'd go with Princess every time. Word of caution the excursions can be very expensive. Happy Planning.

Personally I'm not impressed by the Mendenhall as it keeps retreating farther away and I haven't been there in years. Lots to do in Juneau with whale watching, Mendenhall, Mt Roberts tram (again not a big fan) flightseeing etc. I plan on visiting the Alaska State museum as it opened again last year after a several year renovation.

Skagway I've done the train a half dozen times, same with the car rental. With your family and kids the car would be a better value but do what interests you. I like both and will do the car rental again next year. If you do the train I like either the Lake Bennett route or at least the train/bus combo.

The good thing about NCL is that they have family staterooms that accommodate 5.
How many bathrooms does the family stateroom come with? Would adjoining cabins give you more space?

[YOUTUBE]NHqJf6Un5-U[/YOUTUBE]

Family staterooms on NCL still only give one washroom. If my parents do decide to join I think the adjoining cabin idea is a good one (not sure how much they'd like it :p).

If I do book now, and the price drops is there any protection against that or is it basically you're out of luck?

Thanks again to all that have shared their experience!

Hey All,

I've been wishing for years to go to Alaska, but hubby has been reluctant. Since he picked the last two vacations I finally get my wish this coming year!

We have only cruised with Princess and loved it, and I always thought I would definitely pick Princess again hands down for Alaska, but I have a dilemma.

We are a family of 5 with 3 boys, and on our last Princess Cruise (on the Ruby) we got two interior staterooms and it wasn't a big deal because prices were cheap. Now that it's Alaska stateroom prices are higher and because I want to do pre/post cruise both in Alaska and Vancouver that's even more expenses to factor in. The good thing about NCL is that they have family staterooms that accommodate 5.

I thought I had narrowed it down to the Star on Princess or NCL Sun because both had similar itineraries that included Glacier Bay and Hubbard (just SB vs NB) but now I read College Fjord is even more beautiful the GB! :confused:

So here are my issues:

1. NCL would be almost $1000 cheaper (assuming my parent's join and I could have one of my son's share a room with them).

Is that $1000 savings worth it or does the Princess experience warrant that?

2.Does NB vs SB matter even if we are visiting the same ports? And is looking for an itinerary that swaps Hubbard for College Fjord something I should look into?

I know everyone seems to recommend the Coral over Island or Star, but if the savings is significant how important is one over the other?

And for those who've cruised on both, especially to Alaska, how would you compare the two cruise lines?

Sorry for all the questions, but just want to make sure I choose the best option before I book.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!!

We have never done Princess, but just did a great NCL Sun cruise.

We cruise Celebrity a lot and I would probably guess Princess is on par with Celebrity.

Our Sun cruise was excellent and hands down, for $1000 go with NCL, not even close.

Here is my review http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=547125&et_cid=2764671&et_rid=17221689&et_referrer=Boards

1. Always choose the Glacier Bay option.

2. I took the Adventure Bound excursion directly off the ship at the opening of Tracy Arm. (That was a HAL excursion.)

AdventureBound doesn't do ship excursions. It most likely would have been Allen Marine in Tracy Arm.