For Convenience Sake: Early Dining or Own Time?

Lyn1Lyn

Sailing on the Sunshine in November

We are currently scheduled for Our time dining, but I was just thinking about whether or not Early Dining would be more convenient. Currently there is a waitlist, but was considering switching over.

At home we don't have any real set time for dinner, but I like the fact that My Time starts at 5:30 in case we want to eat early. But Early Dining is set at 6pm every night.

We are travelling with 5 kids and 3 adults. I like the idea of being free to come and go as I please with no schedule. (Our Time Dining)

BUT, I also like the idea of having the same waiter every night , a table waiting and someone who knows our needs from night to night (that was very nice when we were on the Dream) (Early Dining)

When I traveled on the Dream it was just my husband and I, and we did "our time" but wound up in the same section with same waiter every night..

Can You give me the Pros and Cons of My Time vs. Set Time Dining (Early or Late) on the Sunshine?

We are currently scheduled for Our time dining, but I was just thinking about whether or not Early Dining would be more convenient. Currently there is a waitlist, but was considering switching over.

At home we don't have any real set time for dinner, but I like the fact that My Time starts at 5:30 in case we want to eat early. But Early Dining is set at 6pm every night.

We are travelling with 5 kids and 3 adults. I like the idea of being free to come and go as I please with no schedule. (Our Time Dining)

BUT, I also like the idea of having the same waiter every night , a table waiting and someone who knows our needs from night to night (that was very nice when we were on the Dream) (Early Dining)

When I traveled on the Dream it was just my husband and I, and we did "our time" but wound up in the same section with same waiter every night..

Can You give me the Pros and Cons of My Time vs. Set Time Dining (Early or Late) on the Sunshine?

To be honest, we always do YTD. We like the flexibility, and with that many people, you are probably going to need it. If having the same servers is important to you, you can request the same ones every night in YTD. Just be aware (like in a land-based restaurant) that if their section is full, you will have to wait.

To be honest, we always do YTD. We like the flexibility, and with that many people, you are probably going to need it. If having the same servers is important to you, you can request the same ones every night in YTD. Just be aware (like in a land-based restaurant) that if their section is full, you will have to wait.

Nothing more convenient than YTD. If you like the team you get on the first night then just request them going forward. Same experience, they will remember you!

Didn't realize you could still request a specific team on the Sunshine, due to the fact that you no longer sign in at the DR. On the Dream you checked in at the actual dining room. I thought it was different now that you have to check in elsewhere.

Will keep YTD then. Makes more sense.

Since you are traveling with kids, I suggest a fixed early dinner time. We found, when we have cruised with our adult children and our grandchildren, it just works out easier. Also, kids get cranky if they have to wait a long time for a table. Then you have the rest of the evening free to do whatever you want.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One more question,

How do I request a specific DR?

On the Dream we were sent to a specific dining room according to our room number. Is it that way on the Sunshine as well? or do we get to choose?

On the Sunshine, YTD is in the aft dining room. Even though you check in on the 5th floor, you can still request a certain wait team (we did).

Tables for 8 are not that plentiful. We learned that when traveling with our family. Hubby and I do YTD and request a table for two. Usually no wait time. With the group it is much easier to have the set time. As someone mentioned there is no discussion regarding time to meet and no waiting.

I can't see how limiting yourself to a specific time would be "more convenient", by definition it seems like it would be less convenient.

If you have anytime dining just ask to sit in a different area if you didn't like the serving team you had the previous night.

I chose YTD over early... if you aren't hungry when it is time for dinner you are not obligated to go.

No wait staff is waiting for you.... and with kids they are more than likely will want to go to the kids club and have dinner with their new best friends.

I can't see how limiting yourself to a specific time would be "more convenient", by definition it seems like it would be less convenient.

If you have anytime dining just ask to sit in a different area if you didn't like the serving team you had the previous night.

Do you have any pros or cons?.. This was the actual question.

I am looking for what makes one more convenient than the other for a party of this size.

And to answer your question....SOMETIMES, with a group this size IT IS more convenient to have a set time, where you know a table will be available for your group at your designated time (as several people have pointed out in their PROS)

There are lots of pros and cons that people have given you, but the biggest con on your time dining for me is the wait time. Since you are a group of 8, you will be more likely to have to wait. Even though it is convenient to choose your own time, you don't really get to eat at that time, so you have to guess when you are going to be hungry.

The biggest con on set dining for me is that you may miss certain activities that only happen during your dining time. For example, the movies under the stars never coincide well with late dining. You can usually catch one that starts at 10:00 PM if your waitstaff is fast enough but otherwise you are out of luck. Early dining is a little better, but even then, you almost never have a chance to see the early movie...which is usually the movie for kids.

That being said, I've done both and I prefer a set time, but you will just have to weigh how much the pros and cons mean to you. For me, not having to wait in line and having waitstaff that get to know me in set dining overcomes the flexibility of your time dining.

For a group of 8, with 5 of them being kids, I'd definitely suggest Early Dining. As others have mentioned, a table for 8 isn't always readily available with ATD, and the likelihood of a wait is high. With a set dining time, there will be no waiting for a table, so that's what I'd personally choose.

Do you have any pros or cons?.. This was the actual question.

I am looking for what makes one more convenient than the other for a party of this size.

And to answer your question....SOMETIMES, with a group this size IT IS more convenient to have a set time, where you know a table will be available for your group at your designated time (as several people have pointed out in their PROS)

I didn't ask any questions.

I find that having any time dining (granted it was on a different ship) was very convenient. There was never a line that we observed and there were groups of all sizes using the service. Having had set time dining while having a poor server I find the ability to simply ask for a different section to be a wonderful plus to the experience.

On our cruise with a set time dining we missed most sunsets and felt constantly constrained to an arbitrary schedule, it was like being herded off to eat whether we wanted to or not. Definitely not a pro for us.

OP I liked what your topic states , For Convenience Sake: Early Dining or Own Time? ;)

I switched to anytime when it first came out and never looked back. Works for us. I don't really like to be on a time frame when I am on vacation.

I really do my Own time dining when cruising. Even if it's just grabbing a sandwich from Lido. There is so much you can do by not limiting yourself to a time.

I didn't ask any questions.

I find that having any time dining (granted it was on a different ship) was very convenient. There was never a line that we observed and there were groups of all sizes using the service. Having had set time dining while having a poor server I find the ability to simply ask for a different section to be a wonderful plus to the experience.

On our cruise with a set time dining we missed most sunsets and felt constantly constrained to an arbitrary schedule, it was like being herded off to eat whether we wanted to or not. Definitely not a pro for us.

I feel the same way--I prefer to eat when I want to--but found that when traveling with a group, especially a group with children, that a set time works out best.

Just off the Sunshine with YTD. We ended up going down to dinner at 5:15 on the first night and found a very short line and got right in. That worked great for us so we down that same time every night since our port times didn't interfere with it. We requested a booth for 2 every night and were asked if we wanted the same area which also worked out well for us. We noticed that it took about 45 minutes for the restaurant to fill up every night and when we left, usually around 6:30, there would be people waiting in Ocean Plaza with beepers. If you chose anytime with that size group I would suggest checking in for your table between 5:15-5:40 (the earlier the better) to avoid a wait and to get your choice of where you would like to go in the dining room.