Dawn Boston to Bermuda - pricing and cabin choice

sharona211

Going on a family reunion type of cruise where we will have about 10-15 cabins of friends/relatives. Most are going the inside cabin route with the UDP included in booking. I'm traveling with my 13 yo. I'm not much of a drinker these days (max 2 or 3 per day when on vacation) and she doesn't drink soda (water or milk). Torn over what cabin to book and what "free" options(s) to go with. We'll need an internet package. We might want to do the specialty restaurants but maybe not for 3 nights and she's a picky eater so not the best value for us...

Deciding between balcony with 2 free options and inside cabin with 1. The price difference between the two cabins is $1100 (total for 2).

My last 3 cruises I've had a balcony and really enjoy having the fresh air and option of sitting in private with my book in the morning or after a busy day on shore. But that was in the Caribbean and I'm wondering if the temps out on the open ocean from Boston to Bermuda will really allow for a lot of balcony time? We'll be spending so much time with family on the sea days that I don't know if getting the balcony cabin is a waste of money. My daughter has never cruised before and I want her to have a great first experience so we can add cruising by ourselves to our future vacation plans.

Also wondering about booking and price drops. Have never sailed NCL before. Have mostly been a Carnival customer with one RCL cruise. Been reading various threads trying to figure out the price drop policy as I suspect this is much too early to be booking but family is booking now. I am not concerned about being nearby or even in same area of ship as everyone else.

I do want to be on a deck where there are no public areas above or below our cabin. Would that be midship deck 10?

Currently thinking of booking the inside and seeing if the balcony price drops at some point. At least that way we will not be shut out. Is that an easier change to make (upgrade from inside to balcony) than to get a credit for a price drop if we book the balcony outright?

Thoughts on prices probably dropping or is this going to be it because there are not many options out of Boston and it's prime time summer vacation?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Another thing to consider would be an Ocean view cabin, either porthole or picture window. They less expensive than balconies, but still allow for natural light and an outside view.

Thanks for your reply. I have sailed in OV rooms before and while the window is nice, they are usually so much lower on the ship than I like but definitely considering all options.

Currently thinking of booking the inside and seeing if the balcony price drops at some point. At least that way we will not be shut out. Is that an easier change to make (upgrade from inside to balcony) than to get a credit for a price drop if we book the balcony outright?

Yes, it's generally easier to ask for an upgrade than to ask for money/credit back. (And they will never give you the entire difference, more like 25%.) But keep in mind that if prices don't fall, or if all the balconies sell out, then you'll be stuck with your inside, so make sure you're OK with that.

I agree with you about oceanviews being on low decks, but Deck 8 (obstructed OV) is a great location IMO on Dawn and Jewel class ships. But the obstructed view might not be the best way to impress your daughter on her first cruise :)

Yes, it's generally easier to ask for an upgrade than to ask for money/credit back. (And they will never give you the entire difference, more like 25%.) But keep in mind that if prices don't fall, or if all the balconies sell out, then you'll be stuck with your inside, so make sure you're OK with that.

I agree with you about oceanviews being on low decks, but Deck 8 (obstructed OV) is a great location IMO on Dawn and Jewel class ships. But the obstructed view might not be the best way to impress your daughter on her first cruise :)

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Have you done the Boston to Bermuda route? Were temps mild enough to use the balcony? As for it selling out, I will take the chance and check frequently for price and availability. If it does sell out I'll make the inside work and use the money saved. for a weekend getaway later in the year.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Have you done the Boston to Bermuda route? Were temps mild enough to use the balcony? As for it selling out, I will take the chance and check frequently for price and availability. If it does sell out I'll make the inside work and use the money saved. for a weekend getaway later in the year.

You haven't told us what date you are going or maybe I missed it.

We have had cabins on deck 8 on the Dawn and Jewel, oceanview, and were not bad locations. Even the partially obstructed cabins still let in light, and some of them are in between the life boats and you can get a pretty good view.

I agree going with the inside (or possibly the OV on deck 8) for the lower price, and keep an eye on the balcony and watch for it to possibly drop. If not, you can take the $$$ you saved, and use on things to do in Bermuda, or do a trip later like you suggested.

Also, if you are having more than 8 cabins, you should talk to a travel agent or NCL about a group booking. You can get credit if you have 8 cabins, and have the credit split between all that are going as additional OBC. Call NCL and talk to someone in the group department. If you have some extra time on your hands, you could co-ordinate the group, and take the credit for yourself. It would equal 1 person to sail for free. (cruise fare only).

We have had cabins on deck 8 on the Dawn and Jewel, oceanview, and were not bad locations. Even the partially obstructed cabins still let in light, and some of them are in between the life boats and you can get a pretty good view.

I agree going with the inside (or possibly the OV on deck 8) for the lower price, and keep an eye on the balcony and watch for it to possibly drop. If not, you can take the $$$ you saved, and use on things to do in Bermuda, or do a trip later like you suggested.

Also, if you are having more than 8 cabins, you should talk to a travel agent or NCL about a group booking. You can get credit if you have 8 cabins, and have the credit split between all that are going as additional OBC. Call NCL and talk to someone in the group department. If you have some extra time on your hands, you could co-ordinate the group, and take the credit for yourself. It would equal 1 person to sail for free. (cruise fare only).

We do have a group booking with a NCL agent, but thanks for the heads up.

Yes, we have done the Boston to Bermuda route many times in either OV or Balcony cabins. This June we are booked in a Balcony on deck 9. When we went two years ago, it was June and used the balcony often. The weather was very nice, and spent time in the pool.

I liked our OV on deck 4 as well, and being almost at sea level. The ride was very smooth down there.

I'm traveling with my 13 yo. I'm not much of a drinker these days (max 2 or 3 per day when on vacation) and she doesn't drink soda (water or milk). Torn over what cabin to book and what "free" options(s) to go with. We'll need an internet package. We might want to do the specialty restaurants but maybe not for 3 nights and she's a picky eater so not the best value for us...

See which promo has the most value to you:

• Picking pre-paid service charges will save you $13.50 each per day (save $189).
  • Internet package is for 250 minutes (save $125).
  • Gratuity on UBP for you & soda package for your daughter (cost $110). 2-3 drinks per day at say $12 each = $168 - $252.

We sailed on the Dawn this past August to Bermuda and I have to say, one of my favorite cruises yet! The temp's were very warm and we had a suite with the cabin in the front of the ship. The balcony (ours was HUGE) was awesome and it was a perfect temperature. It will depend when you go. Bermuda water is chilly until July/August so if you are going in the summer, you will be fine.

See which promo has the most value to you:

• Picking pre-paid service charges will save you $13.50 each per day (save $189).
  • Internet package is for 250 minutes (save $125).
  • Gratuity on UBP for you & soda package for your daughter (cost $110). 2-3 drinks per day at say $12 each = $168 - $252.

I'm confused by that last option - what are you saying there? The "freebie" is the UBP right, not the gratuities on the beverages? Also, my aunt (who is organizing the booking) said something about not having to pay the 18% service charges on the UBP beverages as part of the group discount. Does that sound right? Could not really figure out if that is what she meant...

We sailed on the Dawn this past August to Bermuda and I have to say, one of my favorite cruises yet! The temp's were very warm and we had a suite with the cabin in the front of the ship. The balcony (ours was HUGE) was awesome and it was a perfect temperature. It will depend when you go. Bermuda water is chilly until July/August so if you are going in the summer, you will be fine.

We are going on the 8/4 sailing. Thanks for that info!

We were on the Dawn Boston/Bermuda cruise last week. We had a balcony cabin on deck 9 and sat outside quite a bit. The voyage TO Bermuda was pretty rough, LOTS of people on board suffering from seasickness, shows postponed, pool emptied, etc.., although I myself LOVED LOVED LOVED it, and was "rocked" to sleep each night. While enjoying our balcony, I did, however, get "sprayed" more than a couple of times (or, as my husband says I got the "special spa treatment") from the bow landing/pushing through the swells.

While in port, it was nice to sit on the balcony and people watch after our days on the beach, snorkeling, and in-town. The voyage home was MUCH more calm/smooth, and we found ourselves sitting on the balcony a lot. I brought a small fleece blanket from home, and just threw it over me when I was sitting out there enjoying the sun, reading, and ocean gazing. We even saw some passing whales which was really cool. I'm hooked now.......balcony or bust for this girl from now on. :)

We were on the Dawn Boston/Bermuda cruise last week. We had a balcony cabin on deck 9 and sat outside quite a bit. The voyage TO Bermuda was pretty rough, LOTS of people on board suffering from seasickness, shows postponed, pool emptied, etc.., although I myself LOVED LOVED LOVED it, and was "rocked" to sleep each night. While enjoying our balcony, I did, however, get "sprayed" more than a couple of times (or, as my husband says I got the "special spa treatment") from the bow landing/pushing through the swells.

While in port, it was nice to sit on the balcony and people watch after our days on the beach, snorkeling, and in-town. The voyage home was MUCH more calm/smooth, and we found ourselves sitting on the balcony a lot. I brought a small fleece blanket from home, and just threw it over me when I was sitting out there enjoying the sun, reading, and ocean gazing. We even saw some passing whales which was really cool. I'm hooked now.......balcony or bust for this girl from now on. :)

We were also on your sailing, matter of fact we were deck 9, forward, starboard, our door slammed shut in the wind and we were trapped in the cabin for about an hour!! Later the same day, my husband got stuck on the balcony (my suitcase was on the couch, fell behind the slider and jammed the door shut!!

We were also on your sailing, matter of fact we were deck 9, forward, starboard, our door slammed shut in the wind and we were trapped in the cabin for about an hour!! Later the same day, my husband got stuck on the balcony (my suitcase was on the couch, fell behind the slider and jammed the door shut!!

So funny...my husband made the mistake of opening our cabin door while the balcony slider was open and he was LITERALLY blown out into the hall with the door slamming behind him locking him out!! (Thank the good Lord he had clothes on and wasn't in just boxers, lolol). Anyway, because I was sitting on the balcony, I hadn't realized what happened and couldn't hear him knocking, so he had to ask Benson to let him back in the cabin. Ahhh, the memories, lol.

So funny...my husband made the mistake of opening our cabin door while the balcony slider was open and he was LITERALLY blown out into the hall with the door slamming behind him locking him out!! (Thank the good Lord he had clothes on and wasn't in just boxers, lolol). Anyway, because I was sitting on the balcony, I hadn't realized what happened and couldn't hear him knocking, so he had to ask Benson to let him back in the cabin. Ahhh, the memories, lol.

We were in 9030, I called guest services and told them we are trapped in the cabin, reply, have you tried to open the door, yes I replied....Next thing you know we had security, housekeeping, carpenters, a bunch of people in the hallway...We also didn't have tv for the first 4 days, I only was watching it for the navigation channel, but 5 remotes later, they replaced the tv.