On MSC Divina now - things I didn't expect

lovelights

We're cruising on the beautiful MSC Divina right now, as we head back home to Miami, thought I'd pop over here on Cruise Critic, since we have so much left on our Internet package that we haven't used yet.

I didn't expect to receive our onboard room card/key before we stepped foot on the ship. I had previously read where people stated that their room cards were in their room when they boarded. We received ours at check-in.

I didn't expect to wait 1 1/2 hours at the cruise terminal to get onboard. We read where some people got on board by 11:00am. However, during check-in, we were told that no boarding would begin until at least noon. We ended up stepping on board around 1:00pm, after they called us by group numbers. Our number was #23. I think a lot of this had to do with customs though, and not the cruise line.

I didn't expect the crew to be as nice as they are, after reading some horrible reviews about how there were people that posted about never seeing their stateroom attendant, or how they weren't very cordial. HOWEVER, our stateroom attendant, "Eddie", is the best we've ever had on any cruise ship, and we've been on lots. Every crew member on this ship greets you, and says "Good morning", "Good afternoon", etc. And they all have smiles on their faces.

I didn't expect the buffet to be as nice as it as after reading other reviews, as people spoke about not much of a variety or how the food is cold or nasty. HOWEVER, we found that the only reason our food was cold, would be because of how long it took us to find a table to sit at. They had a variety, and abundance of food to choose from. And, for the buffet "supposedly" being so bad, then my question is why does everyone flock at it by the thousands when it comes time to eat?

I didn't expect smoking to be where it was. I'm a smoker, and yes it's not good for your health, and yada yada yada, but it is what it is. I read where smoking was allowed on one side of the ship at the pool deck. Not on this cruise. There is NO smoking near the pool on either side. However, the entire promenade deck on 7 is smoking on the starboard side. There is also smoking in the Cigar Lounge, and there is also smoking allowed on Deck 15 at the Garden Bar on the portside of the ship.

I didn't expect our embarkation photo to cost $28.00. Most cruise lines have it priced at $19.95. However, they had 3 different prints, and they were priced at $48.00, and you get all 3, and a frame with a CD that has 50 photos of the cruise ship on it. There is no photos taken at the ports, like some of the other cruise lines we've been on.

For some reason, we're having a rocky ride home, and the ship is bouncing left and right, and forward and backward, but other than that, everything seems to be going fine.

This is our first cruise with MSC, and we would highly recommend it, and on a scale 1 - 5, I would rate this cruise a 5 for sure.

NOTE: If you're on the itinerary that goes to San Juan, and your plan is to visit the forts, my advise would be to pay for a taxi, and don't rely on the free trolley. The trolley was a nightmare for us.

Edited by lovelights

Lovelights, Thanks for the update. Sounds like MSC is listening to those who complained about the pool deck being half taken up by smoking section and the other half by sales tables for merchandise. Sounds like a reasonable solution. Room keys are only available in your room on European sailings, not those originating in the States. Sailing on her on November 5, and looking forward to it!

Thanks for the post. We are on Divina in April. I heard because u leave at 7 that the MDR is not open on the first night, is that true? Also did u travel with kids? I will be and wanted to know if u took advantage of the cooking class they offer. We were on Carnival last summer and the pools were full of people just standing in them. Any comments on how the pools were on here? Finally did u take advantage of any of the specialty dining? We are looking at a package that includes two nights. Thanks again.

MDR is open the first night. Muster drill is somewhere around 4:30 4:45 PM,so it can be a bit of a rush making it to the early fixed dining time. We noticed that it was expected by the dining room staff and latecomers were still seated for early traditional

Sorry folks, but I can't answer much about the main dining, or specialty dining, because we ate at the buffet every single meal, and had no problems at all.

We're just not the dining type of people, I guess.

We didn't have children with us, for all of my kids are older and have families of their own, and this was just my husband and I on this cruise. However, the children that were on board, seemed to be having a blast. They have a buffet just for the kids (but we seen many adults going there, and having to bend over to get out the exit). LOL

The dining doesn't affect the shows, because they have set up the shows so that you can go to a 7:15pm show, or the 9:15pm show.

We aren't pool people, for we have a poolside home, so we're so use to a pool, that we don't cruise to get in a pool. However, the solarium pool seemed to be more packed. It was very hot in there, when we passed through. The pool in the back of the ship, and the main pool, didn't seem to be overly packed. Seemed like most of the people on this particular cruise was more into sunbathing.

The t.v. has just a few channels, and the ones they had were mostly CNN channels that spoke of Clinton and Trump, and I've had enough of that, listening to it at home. LOL

Formal night is tonight (Day 6 of the cruise - at sea after leaving San Juan at 2:00am, which we pulled out at 1:40am). However, most of the cruisers on this ship seem to be formal dressers. I don't go on a cruise to dress up, but that's just me. Most of the passengers don't seem to have English as their primary language. However, everyone seems to be very nice and polite. It's like all 4,000 of us are one big happy family. LOL

I'm honestly going to miss Divina when we have to get off the ship on Saturday morning. We're thinking of making Seaside our home for a week in 2018.

Thank you for your post . We just booked our first MSC cruise on the Divina a 10 day sailing Dec 6. So very good to hear how good you rated it! I hope you don't mind going to share your review on our Cruise critic roll call for our sailing.

I don't mind at all. :)

Save

Thank you fro your review... very comforting to know that either things are not as bad as the other reviews have experienced or they have made changes.

We sail on the Divina on November 5th.

One thing that puzzles me is why the cruises lines do not post daily programs in advance. Unless I am missing something somewhere.

We always try to plan for theme nights and have been caught off guard a few times where we could not find the daily programs before we cruised. I have searched and searched for recent daily programs for the Divina without success. I understand that things change but usually the daily events, theme nights and such are pretty much the same for each itinerary.

To my question and request... would it be possible to post the daily programs?

I understand if you do not have time.

Thank you again for the review.

Thanks for the review and who ever said that boarding starts at 1100 was lying because it always starts about noon. Most of the crew is very polite and the buffet does have lots of variety but people complain no matter what. Keys being in your room is only in the Med for right now.

Edited by riclop

Thanks for you're review so far, nice to have some good words! My neighbor is on the ship with you and she posted that they were having a great time. Sorry about your issues in San Juan, we took the shuttle last spring and had no problem, I guess you just never know. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

NOTE: If you're on the itinerary that goes to San Juan, and your plan is to visit the forts, my advise would be to pay for a taxi, and don't rely on the free trolley. The trolley was a nightmare for us.

My advice is to WALK!!! It is a lovely walk..albeit uphill...but I've done it with a baby in a stroller and it is very doable! The trolley is indeed a nightmare. There are many shops, bars, and restaurants along the way so it is a very pleasant walk. Takes all of about 20 minutes.

Thank you fro your review... very comforting to know that either things are not as bad as the other reviews have experienced or they have made changes.

We sail on the Divina on November 5th.

One thing that puzzles me is why the cruises lines do not post daily programs in advance. Unless I am missing something somewhere.

We always try to plan for theme nights and have been caught off guard a few times where we could not find the daily programs before we cruised. I have searched and searched for recent daily programs for the Divina without success. I understand that things change but usually the daily events, theme nights and such are pretty much the same for each itinerary.

To my question and request... would it be possible to post the daily programs?

I understand if you do not have time.

Thank you again for the review.

I saved all of mine, so I'll scan them and post them on Sunday after we get home on Saturday. I just have to figure out how to get photos on here. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to open a Flicker account and upload them there, and then put the link over here. If anyone has an idea of how to get the photos here, please let me know.

My advice is to WALK!!! It is a lovely walk..albeit uphill...but I've done it with a baby in a stroller and it is very doable! The trolley is indeed a nightmare. There are many shops, bars, and restaurants along the way so it is a very pleasant walk. Takes all of about 20 minutes.

Did you walk to the fort that has the lighthouse? or the other one? It took us about 20 minutes just to walk to the ship from where the Pigeon Park is.

We paid $12 for a taxi to bring us back to the ship. It was 86 degrees with feeling like 98 degrees with the humidity. Even our cab driver said that the heat was almost unbearable there this time of year, due to the humidity.

How did you push a stroller through the cobblestone streets? Bet that was rough on the stroller wheels. ;)

You're probably much younger than us, unless you're a grandma at the age of 60 pushing your grandchild in a stroller. lol We're not in bad shape, but we're not Olympians either. :) I seen a woman up by the lighthouse when I was taking photos, (much younger than me), that was in tears, because she felt like she was going to pass out from the heat.

I do agree though that it's nice to take a walk and see the beautiful buildings and landscape. We did end up getting back off the ship around 4:00pm, and walked and took many photos. The ship was scheduled to leave at 2:00am, but it actually pulled out around 1:40am. This gave us time to get off the ship while it was cooler outside, and made for a much better visit.

I saved all of mine, so I'll scan them and post them on Sunday after we get home on Saturday. I just have to figure out how to get photos on here. I'm thinking that I'm going to have to open a Flicker account and upload them there, and then put the link over here. If anyone has an idea of how to get the photos here, please let me know.

Thank you!

If you want, you can email them to me (aahardesty@comcast.net) and I will put them in PDF format and put a DropBox link up for others to download.

Most of the passengers don't seem to have English as their primary language. However, everyone seems to be very nice and polite. It's like all 4,000 of us are one big happy family. LOL

I'm honestly going to miss Divina when we have to get off the ship on Saturday morning. We're thinking of making Seaside our home for a week in 2018.

This has always been my impression of the fellow passengers, as well. Love to learn more about other cultures. Thank you for your review! Have my third cruise on Divina booked for this winter!

Thank you!

If you want, you can email them to me (aahardesty@comcast.net) and I will put them in PDF format and put a DropBox link up for others to download.

Okay. I'll try to get them to you on Sunday. I just scan them as .jpg files?