Oasis review - Oct 15th.

Reading this review, I just can not get over the 8k cost. I am paying 800 dollars for same cruise. Of course without the obvious upgrades, but are you kidding me? So NOT worth that price tag when I am paying 800 for the same ONE WEEK vacation on Oasis.

Reading this review, I just can not get over the 8k cost. I am paying 800 dollars for same cruise. Of course without the obvious upgrades, but are you kidding me? So NOT worth that price tag when I am paying 800 for the same ONE WEEK vacation on Oasis.

You are so awesome.

I just looked at the half price internet thing and it looks as if it is only for one device and is $8.99/day.

I didnt see any discount for more devices.

I too would like to keep in touch with my son but not sure of the best way to do that.

Oh that's fine then. I just wanted to see what activies they had them doing that my son may be interested in. I will look around on here and see if anyone copied the nihtly papers and posted them to get a look at ;)

They did things like capture the flag, ping pong tournaments, video game tournaments, dodgeball, teen only ice skating, teen only flow rider time......I think they played battle of the sexes and some other games too. They had stuff going on all the time, it seemed, unless they were closed. That was the only thing that stunk.....sometimes they closed for a few hours and the kids really wanted to be hang out in the room.

Yes - totally crazy. However, there are 4 of us and mom (me) needs her space. If I were stuck in 1 small cabin with my kids and husband for an entire week....only 1 person would make it out alive. That would not be a good trip for anyone. LOL

They did things like capture the flag, ping pong tournaments, video game tournaments, dodgeball, teen only ice skating, teen only flow rider time......I think they played battle of the sexes and some other games too. They had stuff going on all the time, it seemed, unless they were closed. That was the only thing that stunk.....sometimes they closed for a few hours and the kids really wanted to be hang out in the room.

Those things sound like things he would enjoy 😉 I just don't know if I want him roaming around the ship this young by his self so I really would like him to be in group events or in the preteen/teen areas 😊

Those things sound like things he would enjoy 😉 I just don't know if I want him roaming around the ship this young by his self so I really would like him to be in group events or in the preteen/teen areas 😊

Then that would be a rule you would need to make with him. I was very concerned about it at first, but it was fine. To be honest, all the kids in his group were allowed to do it. But that is something you really have to be comfortable with it. Before the cruise I would have said, no way. But once on the ship, I felt he was very safe.

We were on the same cruise and booked Oasis for the same week again next year. I have been in 3 previous cruises, 1 Royal and 2 Disney, but there is something special about this ship!

Central Park was one of our favorite areas. We ate outside at Giovanni's on two nights and it was great eating under the stars with a piano and violin playing g a few feet away.

We felt like the MDR was lacking. The new menus and portions are terrible. We made the best of it and had great service in MTD from Sagar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by CTCruiser74

We were on this same cruise in sky class. We generally agree with the comments about the CK but believe that a large part of the service issue was the fault of the kitchen.

Also, we found the suite lounge and the Concierges to be very good. We rece3ived the letter from them a coule of weeks before departure and I did have a special request which was completely fulfilled.

With the exception of the first night at the chef's table and another night in 150 Central Park and one lunch in the Park cafe we had all meals in the coastal kitchen.

We have previously been cruising in balcony cabins, we'll hit Diamond Plus in the next cruise, but our experience in Sky Class has caused us to book the next cruise in the same class - we enjoyed it that much.

They had the line sort of split, but you walked right by the people standing in line. It was very uncomfortable, IMO but I don't know any other way for them to handle it.

Thank you for your review. I really enjoyed reading it.

I was on the Oasis Jan this year, in a suite but before they rolled out the new suite programme. Doesn't look like it is much of a change having read your review.

I found disembarkation really uncomfortable. There was a big crowd and there was no obvious way for us to get from the lift to the priority line if there was one. So a big disappointment and it doesn't look they have made much of an improvement.

I enjoyed spending time in the suite lounge. A good meeting point with nice views. I found the breakfast in CK ok but I agree that the service could be a lot better. I did enjoy the evening meals in CK.

We had MyTime dinning and as suite guests we could walk past the line and be seated whenever we want. I really liked this as a perk.

For me the best suite perk was the sun deck. Was nice and quiet and exclusive. I didn't mind going to the bar to get a drink. What did annoy me was that it had odd opening times during port days so wasn't always open. Also, the cabana in Labadee on Barefoot Beach made a big difference.

On the whole I enjoyed my cruise and it looks like you did as well.

FOOD:

This is my biggest gripe about the cruise. Not only was the food not nearly as good as I thought it would be, the service was pretty bad in all placed except the main dining room. All servers and table bussers seemed to really hate their jobs and not many had a smile on their face.

Windjammer. My kids loved this place so we ate there quite a bit. For me, breakfast was horrible. Their scrambled eggs were absolutely disgusting. There was no real good pastries at all and really nothing I ate was really all that good. Dinner and lunch were a bit better, but not really good by any means. the only night they had good deserts was the night they had all the cakes out. The red velvet was very good. The service in windjammer was the worst on the ship, IMO. The waiters would let the plates pile up on your table and mostly waited until you were done eating and getting up to come over and clear your plates. Plates really start to pile up when you have 4 people at your table. One time all week someone came and asked me if I wanted something to drink other than the juice and water they served.

Main dining room. We only ate there once and it was fairly good. I had the filet and it was very good, but of course cost me $16.95. The rest of the food I ordered was not that good, including the molten cake desert. My husband seemed to like his meal. Service was good here.

Sorrentos. This was a good place to stop for a slice of pizza. My son must have eaten about 15 pizzas on his own by the end of the week. It got very crowded at times and you would have to go to the area near starbucks to find a table.

Wipeout cafe. I only had the fries and ice cream here and both were very good. My family ate here a lot and they seemed to like it. The ice cream was really good, but only open from 11:30 - 5:30. There is also another ice cream place in the pool area, but that always had lines and had on and off hours as well.

Johnny Rockets - we got a milkshake here one night and it was really good. We also went here to eat on our last night and the cheese fries were really good. I did not care for my burger all that much. My daughter got a grilled cheese and really liked it and my husband got some other sandwich and thought it was good. However, both my husband and I did not feel good after this meal and it was the only time during the week we did not feel good after eating.

We did not eat at any of the specialty restaurants.

Was on Oasis on October...you hit the nail on the head i could not have said it any better, although i will add Giovanni's was terrible on my opinion although service good.

We were on the same trip and instead of a new thread, I'll add some thoughts here. This was our 2nd as well (on the Enchantment in Feb) and we had a Family room (11100) at the front of the ship just below the navigation deck. We could look up and see the windshield wipers going in bad weather. I honestly don't have any real complaints. On the trip with my wife and 3 boys (15, 13, 10). Our room was bigger than I expected it to be, so we were happy. The slanted front wall (with window) gave us a feeling of a larger room, and that mostly unusable space was used to store empty suitcases.

Embarkation - As you said, quick and smooth. We were there around 11:30 I think, and if I remember correctly, boarded around 12. We checked in, got our cards, then were led to some chairs to sit in while they took groups to board. Only thing I noticed here was that we may have gotten checked in a bit faster had we not been Gold members. It seemed the standard line, at the time, was shorter and had more 'lanes' open.

When we got on, we realized that the rooms were not ready (they close the door leading to the staterooms) and tried the WJ. Line was, as expected, pretty long so we just went to an area near the solarium and waited. Once our room was ready, we dropped off our carryon bags and headed back to the WJ. The line was virtually gone by then. I assume everyone was getting situated in their rooms.

Dining - I had no complaints with the WJ or the MDR. The WJ is what it is - a buffet where they are trying to get people in and out. While like the OP, we were not asked more than a time or 2 if we'd like additional drinks, someone was almost always nearby to ask. I thought the rate at which old plates were cleared was adequate. It would be nice to have better food in the WJ (can we get some Angus for the burgers? haha), but it is what it is.

In the MDR, we had a good set of waiters which we requested (MyTime) every night. Our dining habits and typical drink orders were remembered and followed throughout the week. The manager for the dining room stopped by every night to ensure we were happy. With a reservation, we never once had to wait for a table and the reservation line was rarely more than a 2 to 3 minute wait at most. We booked a time for the first night, then just grabbed an available time for subsequent nights after dinner each night. I know someone was complaining about portion size, but if you want more, just ask for it. Everything I had that matches my normal taste in food was excellent (I'm a BBQ / Burgers / Texas Roadhouse kind of guy).

General - Around the kid section of the pool deck, I noticed they were not walking around taking drink orders as much - maybe that's by design as orders would be lighter there. Also remember from the Enchantment trip that the waiters would load up trays of drinks and walk around offering them. Didn't see that on Oasis.

I also thought the Captain did a good job re-routing the original plan to avoid rough water and find some sun. There was a disturbance to the northeast he was avoiding. The daily updates were informative. The Cruise Compass on this trip was extremely pessimistic or perhaps they didn't get the new route from the captain as weather was almost always better than published.

My only real complaint would be that they need to hold the karaoke in a larger venue. They use the OnAir bar, which is really lacking. Most chairs are not comfortable, many have obstructed views of the stage, and the host has to hide in the corner. The lack of size leads many to have to stand, and most people without a chair stand for a couple songs then leave. I think the lack of space and accommodations limited the performances. On the Enchantment, it was held in a much larger area with comfortable seating, etc.

Disembarking - We had a 12:30 flight. Having never left a larger ship like this, we chose to carry off our stuff to save time and left our room slightly before 7am. We were sitting at the gate for our fight at 7:50. It took just an hour to walk from our room, through customs, grab a taxi (Minivan - $13.30 to FLL), check our bags, and get through security. We did have TSA Precheck, but the main line was just as short and quick. We grabbed something to eat when Chilis opened at 10 and just waited.