Just off Pearl Panama Canal Oct 5 - 20

rapata

On RCL OOTS, we could access the daily MDR menu from our room tv screen since had a computer function as well. Does Pearl have this feature? Made it very convenient to decide between MDR and buffet for each meal.

Unless they have changed things since January, no. They will post the dinner menus outside the two main free dining rooms sometime that morning. You can look at them there.

At the meet and greet we had all the senior officers including Captain Stephan and yes, we did have a recap on the last day with the Hotel Director, Housekeeping, Exec Chef. F & B officer and Dan the cruise director. Sorry but I dont have the names of the officers but if you go to our Roll Call thread and contact our organiser Ralph... BRaddock620 he may be able to give you the names.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for both the information and the idea to pose the question to Ralph from your Roll Call. I will check in over there, and see if he kept the list of Officers from your Meet & Greet. All the best!

- Khristine -

Unless they have changed things since January, no. They will post the dinner menus outside the two main free dining rooms sometime that morning. You can look at them there.

Yes Thats exactly what they do, except they serve lunch in the Summer Palace so the dinner menu only gets posted in the afternoon but it is posted outside Indigo earlier.

One of the things we like about Norwegian is the choice of dining venues. One further note, we never had to wait to be seated at a table in either MDR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They may have been up front on the bow by the crew pool. NCL typically opens up that area, puts up a bar, and lets people view from there. At this moment the Pearl is going through the locks and you can see the people there on the webcam.

Correction - the webcam shot I saw was outdated and still stuck but it gives (unless it corrects and updates) the front area with folks on it:

http://www.kroooz-cams.com/ncl-fleet1.php

How was the ship movement? We are booked for partial transit from Miami in March. We are looking at upgrading from a mini-suite to a forward facing penthouse suite (for the extra room space, view for transit, and extra private balcony space) but would not be pleased if the front of the ship was constantly rocking.

This will also be the longest cruise we have ever done - did NCL do a good job keeping everyone entertained during all of the sea days?

Columbia, Costa Rica, Colon - is there much to do in the port area, or will excursions be needed?

Thanks!!

How was the ship movement? We are booked for partial transit from Miami in March. We are looking at upgrading from a mini-suite to a forward facing penthouse suite (for the extra room space, view for transit, and extra private balcony space) but would not be pleased if the front of the ship was constantly rocking.

This will also be the longest cruise we have ever done - did NCL do a good job keeping everyone entertained during all of the sea days?

Columbia, Costa Rica, Colon - is there much to do in the port area, or will excursions be needed?

Thanks!!

We were in the forward part of the ship about 10 cabins back from the forward elevators on Deck 9 and there was No motion.... we had a very smooth trip. Even up in Spinnaker Lounge on Deck 13 there was very little motion.

In Cartagena the ship docks in a cargo area, but there is a nice terminal you can walk to with good but probably pricey, shopping, an internet cafe and gardens with lots of tropical birds and animals. There were lots of taxi and tour operators on the docks that you could hire, we had a pre arranged tour.

Costa Rica, we were on the Pacific side at Puntarenas, I dont think you will go there. Again, we did a prearranged tour. Gio Tours - The company we used also operate on the Caribbean side and I would highly recommend them. Cruiseportinsider.com has lots of great info that you could research where you are going.

Colon.... didnt stop there so cannot answer.

On sea days there was always lots to do, trivia, bingo, movies, poolside BBQ or just relax and enjoy being at sea. We enjoy sea days as much as the ports.

We were in the forward part of the ship about 10 cabins back from the forward elevators on Deck 9 and there was No motion.... we had a very smooth trip. Even up in Spinnaker Lounge on Deck 13 there was very little motion.

In Cartagena the ship docks in a cargo area, but there is a nice terminal you can walk to with good but probably pricey, shopping, an internet cafe and gardens with lots of tropical birds and animals. There were lots of taxi and tour operators on the docks that you could hire, we had a pre arranged tour.

Costa Rica, we were on the Pacific side at Puntarenas, I dont think you will go there. Again, we did a prearranged tour. Gio Tours - The company we used also operate on the Caribbean side and I would highly recommend them. Cruiseportinsider.com has lots of great info that you could research where you are going.

Colon.... didnt stop there so cannot answer.

On sea days there was always lots to do, trivia, bingo, movies, poolside BBQ or just relax and enjoy being at sea. We enjoy sea days as much as the ports.

Thank you!!

How long does the trip through the canal actually take? We are on the 2/18 sailing of the Star from LA to Miami

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is all day, from early morning until late afternoon. You have the series of locks at each end. Then between them is the large lake through which you travel at very slow speed and the seven miles of the dredged cut. That portion was one of the most difficult jobs in creating the canal. And it still has to be dredged daily to prevent the sides from sliding in.

How long does the trip through the canal actually take? We are on the 2/18 sailing of the Star from LA to Miami

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Each lock takes about 1/2 hour from entering, slowly moving into position, securing the lines, raising or lowering and then opening the gates. Its amazing how quickly the lock filling and emptying goes.

Transiting Eastbound you will go up through 2 locks at Miraflores, across a small lake, up 1 lock at Pedro Miguel, through Gaillard cut, across Gatun Lake and finally down 3 locks at Gatun.

There is a web site which shows ships moving through the canal, unfortunately they were down the day we went through.

https://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/camera-java.html

Edited by rapata

I am the Meet & Greet Organizer for our Roll Call, and I am wondering if the Staff held a cruise recap/follow-up event toward the end of your sailing? I know the Staff of the Pearl did this for quite some time, but I don't know if this is something that is still going on. If so, I would like to pass the possibility of this happening to our Roll Call. Secondly, I am hoping to see a few familiar faces on board. Would you mind posting the names of the Senior Officers and Cruise Director currently on board? I have asked on the "2016 NCL Officer Identity" thread, but all that has been posted is the name of the Concierge.

- Khristine -

Khristine, I just got a note from rapata asking me to take a look at this thread and was happy to see that there's a way to keep our 15 day experience going! I only wish I could be doing it by actually joining you guys in a couple of weeks! We had SUCH a great time.

Yes, I kept the senior officer list. I must admit that we don't cruise often enough for me to ever have the hope of seeing the officers again but here goes:

Captain Stefan Nordberg (from Finland), a friendly guy with a sense of humor on his announcements

Hotel Director Cary Turecamo from Michigan, a very warm and friendly man who we ran into a lot, and had a very pleasant dinner with one evening.

Cruise Director Dan ("the Man") Olsson, born in Peoria Illinois, now making his home in the Philippines, the nicest, friendliest, and least annoying, most genuine Cruise Directors I've met.

We met others at the Meet & Greet but had no further contact including

Mark Reitchel, Food and Beverage Director

Gladys Toro, Executive Housekeeper

Ronan Ramos,Guest Services Manager

Francis Gomes, Executive Chef, who left the ship mid-cruise on

compassionate leave after the death of his father

Oscar Fernandes, Restaurant Manager

Joe Borges, Beverage Manager

Raman Kumar, our personable Group Services Coordinator

Staff Captain Rolf ???? who I believe was at the Meet & Greet but wasn't

listed on the card

Yahira Suazo , Conierge, from the Dominican Republic

The only two other names that stick with me are Tanya and Cheyser, the two hostesses up at Moderno and Cagneys which share the reception station. If you go to either of those restaurants, and you surely won't be disappointed at either, say hi for Mr. Ralph and Ms. Nancy!

Yes, we had a very well attended followup event on our last sea day when folks could have been out at the pool but we had bonded so well during the course of pre-cruise messaging, private tour planning, meet and greet, cabin crawl et al that I think we actually looked forward to seeing each other one final time and almost everyone was there. (It didn't hurt that I'd also created a cruise web site, complete with all of our photos, whose url is in my signature file below. I've got to get back to that with a post-cruise blog post and photos but have been busy culling the 1,500 I took down to something I can manage!) Most of the same ship's officers who had welcomed us fifteen days earlier were there and I know they were pleased by the turnout and the really positive feedback they got but were happy to learn of the very few negatives as well.

This was my second opportunity to moderate a Cruise Critic Roll Call after reserving our aft facing cabin (to die for) 19 months in advance. I can't wait for another. If you care to take a conversation off-line, drop me a note at schuetztravel at aol dot com. Incidentally, noting your place of residence, we now live outside of Washington DC, but I hail from Evanston and my wife is from Glen Ellyn.

Now I might just go back and read this forum again, as well as check out your roll call, to see if there's anything I can add to rapata's critique, but suffice it to say that you will not be disappointed on the Pearl, except possibly when she turns around in Gatun Lake (smile) to head back to the Atlantic. But hey, you get to experience those locks twice where we only got to see them once, and that just might have been the highlight of the cruise! I took almost 300 photos that day!

Safe and wonderful travels to you and your fellow cruisers.

Music on the pearl. Was there a band at the pool area, nightly bands ?

Yes, different bands rotated at night. We never stayed up late but saw them getting set up some nights. They also played at the pool some lunchtimes and afternoons.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Khristine, I just got a note from rapata asking me to take a look at this thread and was happy to see that there's a way to keep our 15 day experience going! I only wish I could be doing it by actually joining you guys in a couple of weeks! We had SUCH a great time.

Yes, I kept the senior officer list. I must admit that we don't cruise often enough for me to ever have the hope of seeing the officers again but here goes:

Captain Stefan Nordberg (from Finland), a friendly guy with a sense of humor on his announcements

Hotel Director Cary Turecamo from Michigan, a very warm and friendly man who we ran into a lot, and had a very pleasant dinner with one evening.

Cruise Director Dan ("the Man") Olsson, born in Peoria Illinois, now making his home in the Philippines, the nicest, friendliest, and least annoying, most genuine Cruise Directors I've met.

We met others at the Meet & Greet but had no further contact including

Mark Reitchel, Food and Beverage Director

Gladys Toro, Executive Housekeeper

Ronan Ramos,Guest Services Manager

Francis Gomes, Executive Chef, who left the ship mid-cruise on

compassionate leave after the death of his father

Oscar Fernandes, Restaurant Manager

Joe Borges, Beverage Manager

Raman Kumar, our personable Group Services Coordinator

Staff Captain Rolf ???? who I believe was at the Meet & Greet but wasn't

listed on the card

Yahira Suazo , Conierge, from the Dominican Republic

The only two other names that stick with me are Tanya and Cheyser, the two hostesses up at Moderno and Cagneys which share the reception station. If you go to either of those restaurants, and you surely won't be disappointed at either, say hi for Mr. Ralph and Ms. Nancy!

Yes, we had a very well attended followup event on our last sea day when folks could have been out at the pool but we had bonded so well during the course of pre-cruise messaging, private tour planning, meet and greet, cabin crawl et al that I think we actually looked forward to seeing each other one final time and almost everyone was there. (It didn't hurt that I'd also created a cruise web site, complete with all of our photos, whose url is in my signature file below. I've got to get back to that with a post-cruise blog post and photos but have been busy culling the 1,500 I took down to something I can manage!) Most of the same ship's officers who had welcomed us fifteen days earlier were there and I know they were pleased by the turnout and the really positive feedback they got but were happy to learn of the very few negatives as well.

This was my second opportunity to moderate a Cruise Critic Roll Call after reserving our aft facing cabin (to die for) 19 months in advance. I can't wait for another. If you care to take a conversation off-line, drop me a note at schuetztravel at aol dot com. Incidentally, noting your place of residence, we now live outside of Washington DC, but I hail from Evanston and my wife is from Glen Ellyn.

Now I might just go back and read this forum again, as well as check out your roll call, to see if there's anything I can add to rapata's critique, but suffice it to say that you will not be disappointed on the Pearl, except possibly when she turns around in Gatun Lake (smile) to head back to the Atlantic. But hey, you get to experience those locks twice where we only got to see them once, and that just might have been the highlight of the cruise! I took almost 300 photos that day!

Safe and wonderful travels to you and your fellow cruisers.

Good Morning Ralph-

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post the requested information along with all the other wonderful information you added. I apologize for the delay in getting back to you, but we are/were in the process of moving to a new home. We like to keep things exciting so what could be more exciting than moving ONE week before taking a 2-week long trip??? We have been living in Libertyville for 15 years in our adorable 1947 Georgian. My husband was born in Evanston and we are there frequently in the summertime, as my mother-in-law resides there during the summer months. I hail from a small town in Southern Illinois near St Louis, but I've been in this area for 17 years. Our new home is in Gurnee, and technically, we have 2 homes since Libertyville has yet to sell. :eek:

We've been enjoying the NCL product for the past 5 years or so, and the Staff & Crew keep us coming back. I have had the pleasure of meeting Dan the Man in the past so I am really looking forward to seeing him again. I will be sure to tell the ladies hello at Cagney's for you! I am sure that they will be thrilled that a passenger thought so much of them.

We are off to Miami next Wednesday, and we sail on Thursday. I have yet to pack a single thing, and everything is in boxes. I continue to tell myself that this will all be worthwhile and worth the risk once the dust settles.

Again, I appreciate your time! I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise, and maybe we'll bump into each other on a ship one day. It's time for me to unpack some boxes and to attempt to coax the kitties out from under the bed! All the best and happy travels.

- Khristine -

Thanks for answering questions! That's so sweet of you!

Here's mine:

Do you HAVE to have an excursion to get off at the Panama Canal? Or can you get off with everyone else and go shopping, out to eat, walk about, etc?

Thanks again!

Here's mine:

Do you HAVE to have an excursion to get off at the Panama Canal? Or can you get off with everyone else and go shopping, out to eat, walk about, etc?

Thanks again!

Our cruise did not stop at either of the Panama ports. Sorry but I don't know the answer to your question for cruises that do stop in Panama.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Forums mobile app

Halxoxo: there's a Port of Call/Panama Canal forum that has very helpful info; I suggest you ask your question there.

Here's mine:

Thanks again!

If you are on a partial transit, (which I think you are) then the only way to leave the ship when it is in Gatun Lake you must be on a ship's tour. The point where you tender ashore has no town, no shopping or transportation for hire. It is pretty much in the boondocks.

You can normally get off the ship and visit the shopping area connected to the pier once it locks back down at Gatun Locks and arrives at Colon later that afternoon.

Thanks for letting us ask questions rapata. Do you happen to know if they had pictures of the Pearl cruising the Canal or any of the scenery during the transit for sale at the Photo Shop? Thanks!

I know the photographers were walking around all day taking photos of the passengers, but we never buy the ship photos so I didn't go to the gallery to look. They also had a special pre canal sale for 19.99 of a DVD of our transit which included shots of passengers and a few shots of the canal building and a commentary by Dan the Man. We ordered it and picked it up on the last day, it is OK but not an Oscar winner!

I know the photographers were walking around all day taking photos of the passengers, but we never buy the ship photos so I didn't go to the gallery to look. They also had a special pre canal sale for 19.99 of a DVD of our transit which included shots of passengers and a few shots of the canal building and a commentary by Dan the Man. We ordered it and picked it up on the last day, it is OK but not an Oscar winner!

Thanks for the quick reply rapata. Did you make it in the DVD?