Time Zone changes onboard ship

GadaboutGranny

We have booked an Alaska Cruise on the Norwegian Pearl leaving Seattle July 9, 2016. I have found a tour from an independent operator that I would like to book for my husband and grandson. However the time zone maze has me confused as to what time will work for us and get them back to the ship on time. When we leave Seattle we will be on Pacific Daylight Time but somewhere along the way the local time zone changes to the Alaskan Daylight Time which is an hour earlier than Pacific Daylight. Do Norwegian ships change the ship board time to reflect the local time zone? This will make a huge difference in what time I can book our tour. Can anyone who has been on this cruise tell me what time zone the ship will be on as we cruise through Alaskan waters?

The ship's clocks on the Alaskan cruise will change to local time in the ports. Then change back to pacific time as you get back to Victoria and Seattle.

Your companies know when the ships are scheduled to arrive and will adjust if you suddenly find yourself tendering instead of docking.

Edited by BirdTravels

And if you're scheduled to be in a port from 1:00-8:-00 for example, that's LOCAL time. This will also match the ship's time, because as the previous posted mentioned, the ship changes to stay consistent with local time. You will get a note in your stateroom the night before saying "Turn your clocks back tonight by 1 hour" or whatever is needed, then as you sail BACK to Seattle, you'll get the note instructing you to move them AHEAD one hour.

So you can go ahead and schedule your excursions to take place during the exact same hours your ship is scheduled to be in port.

I hope that helps.

Thanks BirdTravels and rjm11. Yes that helps immensely. Thank you so much for your quick reply. I will go ahead and schedule their float plane excursion with an easy mind.

Just as a side note, float planes are subject to the local weather. We cruised Alaska in August, and the weather did not permit air tours in 2 of our 3 Alaska ports of call.

i am glad you are observant of time changes. 5 days into a bermuda cruise i heard a woman ask a man what time it was. he was off by 1 hour. she didnt have the right info to make her show on time.

he didnt read a daily or get a card in his room i guess. at least when he got back to NY he didnt have to change his watch.