Prinsendam cabin questions

tanti

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the idea, at least when it comes to trunks.

People on Royal Viking were on long, exotic cruises, and women tended to wear designer gowns. I can picture at least some of them needing the extra space for storage.

Interesting thought. I can't say I've ever come close to a steamer trunk, though my mother and I did once have an entire suitcase of shoes (for both of us). That was long, long ago.

Hope you took it with a big grain of salt. While the Pdam may be old, I don't think she was sailing in the days of trunks and nannies in separate cabins!

Heck, I've been cruising since 1972 and even when I started cruising those were the 'olden days'. :D

Royal Viking Sun (1988)

37,845 grt; length 674 ft; 740 passengers

RVLLogo2.jpg

Scan190-04small.jpg

She made her maiden appearance in the winter sunshine, moored on the River Thames at Greenwich in December 1988, when I went to see her. However, it wasn't until 1991 that I was lucky enough to get aboard on a visit with the Ocean Liner Society. By this time, she had already established herself as the finest and most exclusive cruise ship afloat and it was on the strength of that visit, that Dad, John, Andrew & I booked to travel on her in 1992!

(left) Her Maiden Voyage from Greenwich in December 1988

One of the ship's most striking features was the stunning Stella Polaris Room on Sky Deck above the Bridge. With 180-degrees of floor-to-ceiling windows, afternoon tea was served here by white-gloved waiters to the sound of the classical harp. Here I discovered chocolate-dipped strawberries!

Even cabins in the lower grades were spacious, comfortable and well-equipped, with a "proper" bath and walk-in closet, while the atmoshpere throughout the ship was uncrowded and exclusive.

In the Royal Viking Dining Room, the food was excellent and the service equally refined.

Entertainment aboard was also pretty good. There was the usual motley assortment of singers & dancers of course, but Royal Viking Line prided itself in obtaining some of the World's best artistes and this voyage was no exception; a brilliant Juggler, an amazing Trumpet Vituoso, a Comedian, a renowned classical Guitarist, the incomparable

Tommy Dorsey Orchestra >> & the wonderful Huber Marionettes >> There was also Juli, our heavenly harpist in the Stella Polaris Room and our lecturers even included Sex Therapist & American radio personality, Dr Ruth Westheimer!

Programme1t.jpgProgramme2t.jpgEven the Production Shows were given a 5-star touch by providing souvenir programmes and with Royal Viking Line being a Norwegian company, there was the ever-popular, traditional "Norwegian Night" of dancing by some of the crew. >

Royal Viking Sun (1988)

37,845 grt; length 674 ft; 740 passengers

RVLLogo2.jpg

Scan190-04small.jpg

She made her maiden appearance in the winter sunshine, moored on the River Thames at Greenwich in December 1988, when I went to see her. However, it wasn't until 1991 that I was lucky enough to get aboard on a visit with the Ocean Liner Society. By this time, she had already established herself as the finest and most exclusive cruise ship afloat and it was on the strength of that visit, that Dad, John, Andrew & I booked to travel on her in 1992!

(left) Her Maiden Voyage from Greenwich in December 1988

One of the ship's most striking features was the stunning Stella Polaris Room on Sky Deck above the Bridge. With 180-degrees of floor-to-ceiling windows, afternoon tea was served here by white-gloved waiters to the sound of the classical harp. Here I discovered chocolate-dipped strawberries!

Even cabins in the lower grades were spacious, comfortable and well-equipped, with a "proper" bath and walk-in closet, while the atmoshpere throughout the ship was uncrowded and exclusive.

In the Royal Viking Dining Room, the food was excellent and the service equally refined.

Entertainment aboard was also pretty good. There was the usual motley assortment of singers & dancers of course, but Royal Viking Line prided itself in obtaining some of the World's best artistes and this voyage was no exception; a brilliant Juggler, an amazing Trumpet Vituoso, a Comedian, a renowned classical Guitarist, the incomparable

Tommy Dorsey Orchestra >> & the wonderful Huber Marionettes >> There was also Juli, our heavenly harpist in the Stella Polaris Room and our lecturers even included Sex Therapist & American radio personality, Dr Ruth Westheimer!

Programme1t.jpgProgramme2t.jpgEven the Production Shows were given a 5-star touch by providing souvenir programmes and with Royal Viking Line being a Norwegian company, there was the ever-popular, traditional "Norwegian Night" of dancing by some of the crew. >

What was called the Stella Polaris room is now the Crow's nes. it is still floor to ceiling window and the nicest Crow's Nest in the fleet IMO.

She still features some solo entertainers and some of the musicians I have seen have been amazing.

I agree....I love the Prinsendam. I am sick that HAL is finally offering an incredible deal on her ($799 ocean view 16 day Voyage to the New World) and it starts two days before I return from New Zealand...:-( I would sail anywhere on that ship!

Those cabins are HUGE and GREAT....I loved them! I was initially in one of the "original" inside cabins on the Prinsendam. Worst cabin I have ever had and when I expressed this sentiment to a crew member was told that they were never intended to be passenger cabins.....when she was the Royal Viking all passenger cabins were outside cabins and that these spaces were for "trunks, nannies and small children."

Fortunately Prinsendam moved me to one of the newer cabins. Even the location was excellent.

If you cannot get one of these inside cabins you should consider booking an ocean view rather than an "original" inside.

Enjoy the Prinsendam! Best "dam" ship of the fleet...:-)

Thank you so much Corliss, that makes me feel better about that room, and the fact that we won't have one of those coveted "walk in closets" ;p

Thank you so much Corliss, that makes me feel better about that room, and the fact that we won't have one of those coveted "walk in closets" ;p

Keep an eye on the prices if you do a GTY cabin you can often get a free upgrade if the cabin prices get lowered to what you paid for your original cabin category. We got upgraded on the prinsendam from a balcony to a signature suite.

Sent from my iPad using Forums