Extra tips at end of cruise

puzzums

I'm told that, if i want to tip my room steward extra on the last night of the cruise, that it should be about $2 or $3 per day. Is that per person, ie: my cabin mate and I each tip that amount? Or do we just present $20-$30 total, from the two of us (it will be a 10-night cruise)?

Same question for excursions. Is the suggested amount of $1 for the driver and $2-$3 for the tour guide (half-day tours) given by each of us, or is that the total given from the two of us?

Thanks!

Suggested tips are usually pp. At the end of the day, the amount you give, if any, is totally up to you. I wouldn't suggest not tipping at all, but if you are asking about tips above and beyond what you are already paying, do what feels right to you.

I'll add that on our most recent river cruise, we tipped the tour guides and drivers the suggested amount with one exception. We had one tour guide that we enjoyed immensely and he stood out among his peers. Several people were handing him big bills, and he was quite surprised and obviously appreciative.

I'm told that, if i want to tip my room steward extra on the last night of the cruise, that it should be about $2 or $3 per day. Is that per person, ie: my cabin mate and I each tip that amount? Or do we just present $20-$30 total, from the two of us (it will be a 10-night cruise)?

Same question for excursions. Is the suggested amount of $1 for the driver and $2-$3 for the tour guide (half-day tours) given by each of us, or is that the total given from the two of us?

Thanks!

I've not seen any "typical" amount of tips to give over and above what the cruise line suggests. It's totally up to you, whatever you give will be welcomed by the crew member.

On our liberty cruise last month, our room steward was very forgettable and didn't do much above what they were required to do. We gave them an extra $30 because we know their job is hard and stressful. Our waitstaff in the MDR however was beyond exceptional so we tipped them an extra $100. It's completely up to you what you feel is appropriate.

If our cabin attendant is good, and goes above and beyond, we typically tip $5-$10 a day at the end of the cruise. Specialty Restaurants, although tip is included, we tip as we generally would on a land based restaurant, 20%, providing expected service above the pre-paid.

We don't normally tip in the MDR unless we have super special service. We typically eat dinner in our cabin on Formal nights and tip as we would on land based establishments if service is good. (Which would be $10-20).

I personally, as of last cruise, tip bartenders at least $1 US Cash per drink although we have drink packages.

We NEVER remove our pre-paid tips.

Edited by troykahack

Thanks!

no set amount at all. you tip over and above based on the services they provided you over and above.

tipping the tour staff is slightly more complicated. a dollar for the driver per person is way too low in my NSHO. same with $2-3 per person for the guide especially for a longer tour

my husband and tend to tip between $20-50 for the pair of us depending on the quality of the tour in addition to the length. bus driver that gets you from points A through C and back to the ship on time but provided no other service: probably $5 each. (keeping in mind that said bus driver is subject to the vagaries of your fellow tour takers and if they are consistently late he can't get you anywhere on time)

if the tour guide is funny, informative and engaging, they get more from us than if they just spoke into the microphone in a monotone