Onboard Account - Epic

TandK0826

This is our first time on NCL so I was curious about the onboard account. We do not use credit cards and pay cash. With Royal we just pay at the end of the cruise but from what I am reading online it says u have to put about 300 down per person which is crazy to me. We are two adults and two kids. Tips are paid for and we have the drink package and an onboard credit. We will be lucky to even spend 100 bucks. Do we really have to upfront all that money for the 4 of us or can we put what we want in our account or can we just pay at the end whatever it is we spent? Oh and if we do put too much down, they give it back to u at the end of the cruise or do they mail a check? I thought I read about the check somewhere before. Thanks in advance!!

Policy

Traveler’s Check / Cash Procedures

Cash can also be used as a method of payment to settle your account with an initial deposit paid in advance. A cash deposit may be placed on your onboard account in the following amounts:

7 day cruises - $300 USD per person

Less than 7 days - $150 USD per person

More than 7 days - $450 USD per person

Once you have exceeded the deposited amount, your account will be closed to further charges. You can deposit as much money as often as you'd like throughout the cruise, however, refunds cannot be made until the day of disembarkation for any excess. Personal checks will not be accepted, nor can they be cashed on board.

Edited by BirdTravels

I know that you said that you don't use credit cards - but I just wanted to mention that it is possible to use a credit card as deposit (they then just put a "hold" on your credit card, they don't charge it) and still pay the entire bill in cash at the guest services desk on board at the end of the cruise.

We do not use credit cards anymore, just our debit card and really don't want them placing that 1200 hold on account. I appreciate the response though. Just looking for anyone that has used cash on board to see if they can put down less than the amount shown online. I really don't want to tie up 1200 dollars for the 4 of us when I know for a fact that we will probably not even spend 100 since pretty much all is paid for. Thanks guys!!

You could buy a prepaid VISA card with a couple hundred on it at the grocery store, and put that on your account. Would cost 3 or 4 bucks but might be an option. It also seems like I read somewhere that those are suggested amounts and not an absolute requirement (not sure about that though)

OP I used cash on my last Breakaway cruise in Feb and put down $100. I had prepaid everything so they owed me money on the last day . When you arrive at the pier and do your checkin, tell them you will be using cash and they will tell you to go to the service desk once on board . Then you can put down whatever you want

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

OP I used cash on my last Breakaway cruise in Feb and put down $100. I had prepaid everything so they owed me money on the last day . When you arrive at the pier and do your checkin, tell them you will be using cash and they will tell you to go to the service desk once on board . Then you can put down whatever you want

Thank you! I was hoping that is what you could do. The amount they post online to put down per person is crazy for our family anyways, especially since everything is prepaid.

I also was on the breakaway last year and we used cash. We had 2 rooms with 2 adults and 4 children and we only put $100 on one room. We had prepaid our gratuities as well. When we checked in we told them we were using cash and went right to guest services. It was no problem at all!

Thanks for answering I was wondering this too. I don't use credit cards and I didn't want to put that much down when I know I won't spend that much plus I already have an OBC that I'm going to use.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You could buy a prepaid VISA card with a couple hundred on it at the grocery store, and put that on your account.

Most prepaid cards specifically state printed on them that they do not work on cruise ships.

Edited by Demonyte

You will get your money back if you don't spend it all. No worries! Just bring an extra $300...or, if you have a credit card, use that to "link" your account, and go pay it off in cash or the last evening...then nothing will be charged to the card at all.