Liquor Delivery

hulksmash

My theory (and it's only a SWAG) is that they'll do a comparison on amounts of gift shop liquor sold and bar business done before and after the delivery policy change, and then in a few months we'll see it delivered on shorter ones as well.

It's obvious that sales are down quite a bit, so now if the bar business done the last evening doesn't change too much, I think they'll deliver on the shorter ones too. If the business done at bars on the last evening takes a significant hit, then they may well go back to pickup on the longer ones as well.

Just my .02 worth

Sounds reasonable

Wonder what they will do about liquor purchased at ports and held by them?

Slightly off topic, but we've never cruised before (scheduled for April 2017). What is the appeal or benefit of purchasing liquor on board? We gave prepurchased a bottle and it was far more expensive than it would have been at home, but carrying on liquor obviously isn't an option. If you don't get your onboard purchase until the last night, and it isn't to be consumed before leaving, what is the benefit? Does the ship sell at better prices later in the cruise? Do they sell options that aren't readily available in the states?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Medako

Slightly off topic, but we've never cruised before (scheduled for April 2017). What is the appeal or benefit of purchasing liquor on board? We gave prepurchased a bottle and it was far more expensive than it would have been at home, but carrying on liquor obviously isn't an option. If you don't get your onboard purchase until the last night, and it isn't to be consumed before leaving, what is the benefit? Does the ship sell at better prices later in the cruise? Do they sell options that aren't readily available in the states?

Buying liquor for consumption on the ship and they will mark up by factor of 5 or more.

However when you buy for the purpose of taking home can be much cheaper than your local cost.

It can be sold onboard for less than what you can get at home but you should know what you would pay at home to decide if it is worth lugging it home, especially if you are flying. We could buy a bottle of Bacardi 8 Anos in San Juan for $23.50 in duty free and the bottle we bought in New Hampshire on the way home was $24.99.

Going back to the old policy of delivering the last night was a good move. I will not buy any liquor on a ship if I have to go pick it up the final morning.

Hopefully they revert back to the old policy as well on cruises 5 nights or less. I've heard some say they waited on no line at all, others say it took 45+ minutes on line. So it depends. For a weekend cruise I can leave my car at work and Uber over to the ship, so delays in getting off in a timely manner or that make me miss breakfast before heading straight to work are a non-starter for me, so I simply wouldn't purchase liquor and have to deal with it.

It can be sold onboard for less than what you can get at home but you should know what you would pay at home to decide if it is worth lugging it home, especially if you are flying. We could buy a bottle of Bacardi 8 Anos in San Juan for $23.50 in duty free and the bottle we bought in New Hampshire on the way home was $24.99.

Very interesting had no idea that could be the case

Very interesting had no idea that could be the case

It helps that NH doesn't have tax, I'm not sure what the same bottle would cost here in Vermont (our liquor store in town is on the small side and the selection can be limited). (If there had been room in our carry ons we probably would have purchased it in San Juan, not realizing how close the price was in NH.)

Just a thought on pricing of liquor onboard and at a liquor store at home. I always buy Crown Royal whiskey onboard. I can get 2 - 1 liter bottles for about $33.00. At home on sale it is $24.00 for a 750 ml bottle. So I am getting much more for less. Also you can only get the Sheridan Liquor onboard. I don't think it is available in the US. Pus the Bicardi flavored rum is a few dollars cheaper onboard than at home,

Just a thought on pricing of liquor onboard and at a liquor store at home. I always buy Crown Royal whiskey onboard. I can get 2 - 1 liter bottles for about $33.00. At home on sale it is $24.00 for a 750 ml bottle. So I am getting much more for less. Also you can only get the Sheridan Liquor onboard. I don't think it is available in the US. Pus the Bicardi flavored rum is a few dollars cheaper onboard than at home,

Are they still carrying Sheridans? Last cruie we were told it was discontinued.

It is illegal to sell it in the US.