Baltics and St Petersburg in July

Csardas

Our favourite ports on our Baltic cruise were :

SPB did 2 day tour with Alla Tours

Stockholm we had an overnight and went everywhere on public transport.

Gdansk very interesting and the cheapest of the port's.

There are various Baltic cruises with different itineraries, so choose which interests the most. Tallin was our least favourite of the port's. Too crowded and too touristy.

Sorry to rain on your otherwise sunny parade, but we did Baltics on the Eclipse in June 2014 and I was very disappointed with the weather on the whole. St Petersburg was the only place really cracking the flags - both days, beautiful, but I have never, ever got as drenched as we did in Stockholm, Copenhagen was hit and miss, Tallin was rainy and sunny in equal measure, Warnemunde was sunny but quite cold. There was little sunbathing on deck - I snatched a few hours on our balcony. I do think we were unlucky, apparently the previous cruise had glorious weather the whole time.

In conclusion, I think Northern Europe has weather much like the U.K. - sometimes fabulous sometimes rubbish. The good news is, we loved it so much anyway we want to do it again.

Which one would you chose? :confused:

Helsinki without a doubt.

I did not like Talin at all - it felt like the old town was a theme park; almost as if Disney had built it for tourists. I expressed that view to a few people on the ship and they all disagreed with me but equally could see my point.

But Helsinki is a great place.

And Stockholm is fantastic as well. And Oslo also. Warnemünde is an odd place, but I quite liked it. Kristiansand, whilst there is not much there, I rather liked also.

We have done this itinerary twice, latest was this July, we had good weather. The cruises before us had weather issues with wind, rain etc but this July it was fine. Our previous cruise in 2012 was in August and again weather was good. We toured with SPB in St Petersburg, Helsinki and Stockholm in 2012 organised through our roll call. This time we did a couple of ships tours. St Petersburg is very tiring but rewarding and if you go on a small private tour you avoid the crowds. All ports have something different to offer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

ToadofToadHall

I'm glad you agree with me about Tallin. I am normally made to feel somehow odd on these forums because Tallin was my least favourite of the Baltic ports. For me it was too hot, too crowded, too expensive and over hyped.

However, would love to return to SPB, but difficult to find a cruise which visits SPB but not Tallin.

We did the Baltic cruise in 2013 and twice that summer had driven to Bruges which is also touristy and expensive, but more classy.

ToadofToadHall

I'm glad you agree with me about Tallin. I am normally made to feel somehow odd on these forums because Tallin was my least favourite of the Baltic ports. For me it was too hot, too crowded, too expensive and over hyped.

However, would love to return to SPB, but difficult to find a cruise which visits SPB but not Tallin.

We did the Baltic cruise in 2013 and twice that summer had driven to Bruges which is also touristy and expensive, but more classy.

it's in 2018, and that's why I asked about Tallin x Helsink